advertisement

The 2019 F1 season.

Vettel should have had a penalty for his jump start/stop in any other series you normally receive a drive through penalty for moving before the start

The thinking of the stewards was explained during the race. I agree with it. Anyway, Vettel penalised himself with a crap getaway.

Perfectly clear, I was kind of agreeing with you ;-)

Just making sure.

Yes the powerplant manufacturing teams have the advantage that they can work very closely with the chassis development team to develop and install together. This was one of Mercedes big advantages. Ferrari did not make that aspect work so well.

However, once into the season, any power upgrades go to all teams that use that engine and will just be an increase in power as the installation is not changed.

@IanW

Has everyone learned their lesson about packaging the power plant? I’d imagine power plant upgrades would generate more heat, sometimes locally, and this could cause issues if the packaging isn’t fully understood.

Vettel should have had a penalty for his jump start/stop in any other series you normally receive a drive through penalty for moving before the start

I agree completely. The response from the stewards that "the movement was within the tolerances of the system" is utter nonsense. There are not mention of tolerances in the regulations. He moved, everyone saw it, the fact he stopped again before the end of his grid spot is irreverent, he moved!

Quotes from the regs my highlight in red

36.13 Either of the penalties under Articles 38.3 c) or d) will be imposed on any driver who is judged to have :

a) Moved before the start signal is given, such judgement being made by an FIA approved and supplied transponder fitted to each car, or ;

b) Positioned his car on the starting grid in such a way that the transponder is unable to detect the moment at which the car first moved from its grid position after the start signal is given.

Penalties at 38.3 c) or d):

c) A drive‐through penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane and re‐join the race without stopping.

d) A ten second stop‐and‐go time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop in his pit stop position for at least ten seconds and then re‐join the race. If any of the four penalties above are imposed upon a driver, and that driver is unable to serve the penalty due to retirement from the race, the stewards may impose a grid place penalty on the driver at his next Event.

I agree completely. The response from the stewards that "the movement was within the tolerances of the system" is utter nonsense. There are not mention of tolerances in the regulations. He moved, everyone saw it, the fact he stopped again before the end of his grid spot is irreverent, he moved!

36.13 Either of the penalties under Articles 38.3 c) or d) will be imposed on any driver who is judged to have :

a) Moved before the start signal is given, such judgement being made by an FIA approved and supplied transponder fitted to each car, or ;

b) Positioned his car on the starting grid in such a way that the transponder is unable to detect the moment at which the car first moved from its grid position after the start signal is given.

Penalties at 38.3 c) or d):

c) A drive‐through penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane and re‐join the race without stopping.

d) A ten second stop‐and‐go time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop in his pit stop position for at least ten seconds and then re‐join the race. If any of the four penalties above are imposed upon a driver, and that driver is unable to serve the penalty due to retirement from the race, the stewards may impose a grid place penalty on the driver at his next Event.

It's all Ok - it was a Red car. This is Ok. This is Ferrari.

Indeed Raikkonen's car isn't red enough and he did have a massive advantage from his Sochi 2019 jumpstart. Maybe it has more to do with the license penalty points, Vettel missing next race when receiving another penalty ???

I don't see a problem. He moved, the system didn't detect it so 'a' NA. When he did start the system detected it, so 'b' also NA.

I don't know what British tv said about Ferrari engine powerboost speculations, but Dutch tv mentioned FIA knows about a battery difference that is supposed to be responsible for the boost.

I don't know what British tv said about Ferrari engine powerboost speculations, but Dutch tv mentioned FIA knows about a battery difference that is supposed to be responsible for the boost.

There was a whole discussion around the way they use essentially two batteries last year. Questions were asked and the FIA and found nothing in contravention of the rules. There is speculation that the benefit is in initial acceleration, the punch out of corners especially. This make some sense as if they can rely on this to gap a following car initially, they can then rely on a low drag car to keep the gap.

The truth is no one but Ferrari know really, I suspect that even customers don't really know.

I don't see a problem. He moved, the system didn't detect it so 'a' NA. When he did start the system detected it, so 'b' also NA.

But the FIA accept he jumped, they have not denied it. There is no tolerance detailed, it was visible, his jump and subsequent reactions impacted other drivers as well regardless if it hurt VET. I cannot recall any other jump getting let off.

The FIA have stated there are tolerances and there have to be tolerances for drivers to make adjustments before the start.

But hey, haters gotta hate.

The FIA have stated there are tolerances and there have to be tolerances for drivers to make adjustments before the start.

But hey, haters gotta hate.

But they only stated tolerances after the event which was news to most.

This isn't hate, I don't subscribe to FIA (Ferrari International Assistance), but it was a clear case of a jump which impacted certainly 4, possibly more of the top placed cars on the grid.

I don't have an issue with the result either, it was a fun race to watch, I just disagree that it was not significant enough to pass without penalty.

I imagine he's enjoying the money.

I doubt it. I mean $10million a year vs $30million a year - does it really compensate for walking away from any hope of ever winning a driver's title (not this year, but RBR-Honda will keep getting better) ? If it does then I'd say DR is not really a serious driver (and that Renault wasted their money).

advertisement

Back