advertisement

The 2018 F1 Thread

Ricciardo has reduced the unofficial lap record in Monaco: in-car footage on Twitter gives you some idea of how much better than us mere mortals you have to be.....

@Rug Doc and anyone else who is considering a trip to Santa Pod.

The weather forecast for Sunday is awful with thunderstorms, showers and wind possible for most of the day. I'm going tomorrow instead.

Good shout Tony. I have a load of friends there atm doing all sorts of silly things trying to beat the Germans in a car hifi build which will then be judged on Sunday. I have to work tomorrow :(

Have fun Tony!!

Good shout Tony. I have a load of friends there atm doing all sorts of silly things trying to beat the Germans in a car hifi build which will then be judged on Sunday. I have to work tomorrow :(

Have fun Tony!!

Ooh, the Germans!

@Rug Doc

I think I chose the right day! Gorgeous weather from late morning, and the new concrete track was giving great times. I saw three Top Fuel cars clear 300mph and four cars break into the three second bracket. One crappy video I took, just to show the brutal acceleration that 10,000hp and no wheelspin gives:

Great vidoe Tony, I havent been to TF since we moved from Oz. I recall when they 'only' had 4000hp and when Bernstein first broke 300mph which I think was in 1992. Have been tempted to see TF at Santa Pod but was always put of by big crowdss and traffic. It doesnt look too crowded at all in your video, I think I will need to make plans to see TF soon.

Cheers

The next big meeting with TF is in September. I think, if the weather is ok on Monday, it'll be very busy.

By the way, the TF dragsters and Nitro Funny cars only race over 1,000ft now. There was a tragic crash in the States where a lack of run off was partly to blame for Scott Kalitta's death.

'Stappers needs to sort himself out. He spends too long on the edge, FP3 is not the time to be lobbing the car in to a barrier.

'Stappers needs to sort himself out. He spends too long on the edge, FP3 is not the time to be lobbing the car in to a barrier.

I agree, but it's a very fine line they're all treading. At least he really is pushing.

I just hope RB don't do to him what Citroen have just done to Chris Meeke in the WRC!

I agree, but it's a very fine line they're all treading. At least he really is pushing.

I just hope RB don't do to him what Citroen have just done to Chris Meeke in the WRC!

I agree, but the ball is in his court. The error is compounded by the fact that this was a strong track for RB, and they haven't been able to fully capitalise on it. He is better than this. Or rather in my view he can be better than this. He's an extremely quick pedaler of a motor car, of that there is no doubt, he's also an instinctive racer but you have to recognise when there are points on the table and be able to take them. For one RB to be on pole, and the other a self inflicted start from the back of the grid the team have a right to expect more.

I am sad about Meeke but he has had so many chances with Citroen and cannot blame them. He has dodged a bullet many times in some massive crashes and they are still happening so Citroen felt they had to act.

I feel his time is ticking away.. Have a look at this video. Monaco 16 and Monaco 18...

We commented on this straight after it happened (in the factory for race event support). Grosjean is a good example of a driver who keeps on crashing and yet still has an F1 drive. Will be interesting to see what happens over the season for both of those drivers.

Yep, Grosjean has the knack of making poor decisions. He must have some qualities that I can't see.

I'm off to Twickenham for the Barbarians game so won't be watching the GP till later. I'm going for a prediction of two safety car periods.

Lewis Hamilton just described the Monaco Grand Prix as the ‘least interesting race’. How true - what a dismal procession that was.

Lewis Hamilton just described the Monaco Grand Prix as the ‘least interesting race’. How true - what a dismal procession that was.

I quite enjoyed it. It's only a procession if you've no interest in strategy, tactics, technology, battles down the field.....

advertisement

Back