advertisement

The 2018 F1 Thread

Turn up on the day. Saturday and Sunday are viewed as best, Monday is finals day wth fewer competitors in the paddock. Tickets are a bit spendy, but if you only go once you won't regret it.

I used to go every 3-4 years to a big meeting like the Easter meets and they are great fun. The violence of the top fuel cars is extraordinary and hard to comprehend. Used to love the open nature of the pits where you can see the cars up close and personal and buy or get given broken engine internals. I have a twisted and torn con-rod from a top fuel car somewhere in my garage.

Well worth a trip.

Just one note: if anyone here intends to go, get there early. I get there at 8am when gates open, and theres only a tiny queue. Last May my brother in law tried to arrive at 10am. He joined the back of the queue at that time, got in and parked at about 12.30. It can get a bit silly, but I did warn him. Lots of elbow room once you're in.

@Rug Doc

Any thoughts on Santa Pod?

Hi Tony, thanks for answering my question. I’d love to go, I have been to SP before, but was part of a competition with my 914, so didn’t need a ticket..

I don’t know if this weekend is going to suit.. sadly the next few months are tricky as I have a young family of three.. once the boy (who is now 4) is a little older I’ll use him as an excuse to go to Santa Pod I’m sure!!! I’m going to gauge his enthusiasm at Goodwood this summer, see how lucky I’m going to be.

I’ll ask though - if I get a pass I’ll leave at 6.30 and see you there on the Sunday!

Yeah, four is probably too young for such a full on experience. My nephew, 13 in a few days and used to supercars, still hides behind his dad when a TF launches! He just doesn't like that explosion of sound. A long day too. I think he was about seven when I first took him, and he was instantly addicted. He still has the ear defenders I 'borrowed' for him, and wears them the whole day.

I await your decision in hope :)

No I haven’t and to be honest I don’t really think I ever will. F1 may be a bore half the time but I would find a couple of cars doing 250 yards with lots of smoke and burning rubber a bit pointless. For the same reason I would never watch American oval racing.

No I haven’t and to be honest I don’t really think I ever will. F1 may be a bore half the time but I would find a couple of cars doing 250 yards with lots of smoke and burning rubber a bit pointless. For the same reason I would never watch American oval racing.
They only burn rubber before the run, to put rubber down and warm the tyres up. The run itself has no smoking tyres, just vicious acceleration. There's a lot of skill, bravery and tactics in drag racing, plus the most powerful race cars in the world. I'm not saying it's the best thing since women were invented, but to not go because of preconceived ideas is only selling yourself short. You can't stand anywhere near cars doing 300mph anywhere else in Britain.

Point taken but it really does not appeal. Yes I was aware that they only do the burn off at the beginning. I hate the smell of burning rubber.

I'm reduced to tractor pulling in Scotland. All mud and for the continent multiple V8s and aircraft engines. Looks great on SKY TV.

I'm reduced to tractor pulling in Scotland. All mud and for the continent multiple V8s and aircraft engines. Looks great on SKY TV.

I've never been, but the drag tram I'm with all used to do tractor pulling. Looks completely mad! One day :)

advertisement

Back