advertisement

The 2018 F1 Thread

Not as I remember - the odd five or six in races but then it was a dangerous sport. Started getting better in the mid seventies.

Regardless, the safety car was mentioned in relation to the gaps at the end of the race.

12 deaths in F1 in the whole of the 1970s, I think. And 13 in the 60s.

A few telly programmes have tried to make it seem as though someone died at every meeting in the 60s, just as they try to make out that Group B rally cars were too fast. Considering the lower safety standards for cars and tracks, those figures are remarkably low.

It looked like Vettel could have caught Verstappen, I wonder whether he settled for fourth rather than have a head to head?

That is still exceptionally high given there are only about 20 cars on the grid. A greater than 1 in 20 chance of dying each year. You’d probably have to look to the TT for worse survival odds than that.

There was typically 26 back then Tony, with many more trying to qualify more often than not.

There has been 20 road cyclists killed in competition already this decade alone.

This is what I was saying.

It looked like Vettel could have caught Verstappen, I wonder whether he settled for fourth rather than have a head to head?

The other Ferrari retiring was likely a factor, the car may not have been solid enough to really push.

I can’t see Vettel or any other wc contender not going for it if feasible but it doesn’t appear to be an overtaking track, despite DRS and a long it straight. Looked like too much aero penalty in the last sector to get close.

I’d hate to the think drivers were trying to save engines instead of the racing.

The other Ferrari retiring was likely a factor, the car may not have been solid enough to really push.

I can’t see Vettel or any other wc contender not going for it if feasible but it doesn’t appear to be an overtaking track, despite DRS and a long it straight. Looked like too much aero penalty in the last sector to get close.

I’d hate to the think drivers were trying to save engines instead of the racing.

Given that HAM could not get past VES with new tyres and given his pace I am not surprised that VET struggled. The sugary drink car was very fast in the last sector which made it very hard to get close enough at the beginning of the straight as TPA mentioned.

Engine saving is a permanent part of the modern F1 world and actually always has been, even in the rose tinted version merlin remembers. Engines are always built to the limits of the technology and the lifetime demands. Engines exploded even when they could use 8+ in a race weekend with qualy engines which were closer to bombs than engines and the race engine detuned to manage 2 hrs.

Raikkonen's third engine will compromise the remainder of his season - what a bloody silly 'solution' to the finance issue! (Was it a last ditch attempt by Ross to make the big teams see sense?)

When I used to mess about in boats I once speculated about a TransAt (crewed, not solo), thinking I'd enjoy it. My sister-in law has done one, and her response was: 'Trust me - you really, really wouldn't!' Best left as a 'nice idea' rather than a brutal reality, I think. (Plus on a boat the clean underwear is always salty and damp!)

I'll be recording the Monaco GP, again, as I'll be at Santa Pod all day. I'll be hanging around with the same team I was photographing last year, and this is the car just having a check before being packed up this coming Thursday.

All went well, just some minor jobs to sort. It's a Top Methanol dragster, supercharged 500 cubic inch hemi, 3,500hp ish. It's one of the many reasons circuit racing seems so slow to me now! I love a bit of grass roots sport :cool:

Unfortunately they can’t go around corners at that speed:)

Wow, they've never heard that one before. Well done!

But yeah, there's nothing quite like watching twenty cars parading behind the safety car for five unnecessary laps....

advertisement

Back