advertisement

The 2018 F1 Thread

I am now starting to record the races so I can skip all the boring bits and the pre race YAWN and STeve Jones trying to be funny . Apart from the nasty crash at the beginning not much happened .
Vettel was out for a Sunday drive and Bottas could not get close enough to overtake so whats the point ?

I am now starting to record the races so I can skip all the boring bits

That would leave about 5 minutes then.

Or the 'highlights' on Youtube - 6 1/2 minutes. :)

I had thought of going to see the DTM at Brands, but the programme seems poor value and even those 'saloons' have DRS these days: surely smaller wings would have made more sense? Manufacturers won't accept that for spectators racing trumps outright speed every time - and that cornering on rails is impressive, but quickly palls. Add the need for tyre conservation and the spectacle diminishes still further.

I'll probably tune in to Le Mans this weekend, though, just to see how Alonso gets on. The chances of his becoming a full-time Indy and/or sports car driver must be increasing all the time.

I cannot see Alonso continuing with Mclaren as it seems clear that the poor speed was not just down to the engine .He would probably not get a drive with another team so sportscars and indy may be his choice at least he should get a front running car

I'll probably tune in to Le Mans this weekend, though, just to see how Alonso gets on. The chances of his becoming a full-time Indy and/or sports car driver must be increasing all the time.

Is Le Mans covered on normal non-Murdoch TV at all? I’d certainly watch a highlights show if there was such a thing lurking on Freeview anywhere.

You can get a month pass for £6.99 on the Eurosport app for full coverage of the race, I've found in the past that it streams better to my iPad than the (rather old) iMac. Alternatively trawl YouTube for streams, but they get stamped on pretty quickly.

Don't bother with the WEC app for a video subscription, it's a shonky service with bugger-all backup, they refused to refund me last year when it all went wrong. (I wasn't alone in this). However the app is great for the leaderboard, team/driver line ups etc - this is all free.

Is Le Mans covered on normal non-Murdoch TV at all? I’d certainly watch a highlights show if there was such a thing lurking on Freeview anywhere.
Finally Toyota's turn? If they don't do it this year, they never will - the other privateer LMP1 cars simply aren't in the hunt at all.

The Rebellion LMP1's looked pretty fleet at the practice weekend. They have a weight advantage and larger fuel tank compared to the Toyotas which may level the field somewhat - fewer fuel stops and easier on the tyres. Saying that, Toyota deserve a win for their heartbreak in 2016 and their persistence.

As regards F1, Vettel seems far more focused this year, and isn't chucking his toys about when it goes wrong- could well be title No.5 for him.

I'd wait for the next Mercedes engine upgrade before putting any money down.

Since more and more 'races' are decided on the Saturday, it's unlikely to be gripping either way.

Afaik, official Le Mans broadcasting is mainly commercial but there has been a lot of pre-race coverage (scrutineering, driver interviews etc.) on Youtube and via the ACO website, and individual cars/sponsors usually provide live in-car footage. I seem to remember Radio Le Mans provided video on their site last year.

Even more talented British drivers than usual, too.

Quest have done le mans before but I am not sure if they are doing so this year , usually short programmes as the 24 hours progress

Everyone was handing the title to Vettel around this time last year and look what happened.

The battle in GT pro this morning was the highlight of that race, truly brilliant racing lap after lap. The weaving Porsche v the nimble Ford GT. Surprised the marshalls turned a blind to the antics.

The usual crop of weird decisions from the ACO stewards ( + bunch of on-line Yanks convinced they have it in for Ford - no change there, either!) but great to see Fernando 2/3 of the way to his triple.

And Kent won their semi=final, too. A great day all round. :D

advertisement

Back