advertisement

The 2017 F1 Thread

How would they have treated Hamilton and MB?

I suspect the same. The FIA comment was kind of tongue in cheek really as they have been somewhat lenient with Ferrari in the past.

They do tend to treat the leading teams better, I am fairly sure if it had been a midfield or tail end team there would have been disqualifications.

Good luck to him, but from what I gather the '17 cars are more physical which doesn't help his quest.

I get the FIA's attempt to having a level playing field (unless you are Ferrari) but the penalties for using engines, engine components and gearboxes above the permitted limit is starting to really p**s me off. I want to see real racing and we will be denied this yet again with the grid penalty on Lewis. FFS either be real and make them all use the same engine or accept the innaqualities that exist.

Funnily enough, one ex-F1 driver was calling for these penalties on drivers to be ended just this week. The penalties should hit the team's constructor points. I think I agree, but I've no doubt there'd be unexpected repercussions.

I agree, I don't really care about constructors points although I appreciate the financial benefits for teams. I want the best drivers and the best cars wheel to wheel.

Not sure about all that. Penalties for using too many engines and gearboxes are all about trying to improve reliability. There has always been an element of F1 being a far-future testing ground for technology. Reliability counts in my view.

It is a bugger for Hamilton - who I am big fan of.

Reliability, yes, but seeing a driver at the back of the grid because the engine needs changing too often, no. Penalise the team, but leave it their. The teams really do care about the Manufacturers' points!

Your average fan of F1 has no real understanding of the 6 (?) elements that comprise an engine and probably does not care, rightly so. I doubt they can comprehend how changing one or two elements can result in a 40 place penalty in a race where that puts you last of 22 in that race only.

I doubt they wet their pants at some brilliant "strategic" (but is actually tactical) pitstop. Nor welcome safety cars, virtual or real, whenever the race is becoming even more boring than it usually is...etc.

Some people seem to enjoy this as the pinnacle of motorsport. Others have more sense.

Agree Tony, car/mechanical points penalties should be taken by the team, driver should just have to deal with the dnf consequences.

Anyway, hope everyone's penalty free for Silverstone, my tickets arrived yesterday so hope it's a good one! Long range forecast suggests possibility of rain, I'll be at Stowe so might get to see some DRS passes:)

I wonder if Merc/Ham took the penalty just now so so he doesn't have to take one at Silverstone, what with it being the home race and all.

Ah, I thought it might have been to ensure Hamilton could compete at the British GP without penalties; when needs must I suppose.

This season is starting to look very much like the last one for Hamilton. If it can go wrong it will. Must be very frustrating.

Trying to find the answer on Google but no luck.

Why did Brundle not do his grid walk yesterday? I switched on at 12.35 ready to watch it but it never happened.

We were going out at 3pm so only watched the race, got showered etc. and left. No mention of why in the time I was tuned in, yet he was in the commentary box.

Thanks

Don't have Sky so only the highlights from C4 but still enjoyed the race. Great to see 2 battles only a few seconds apart. Thought Lewis was going to have Danny & likewise Seb on Bottas but both defending drivers did a great job. No idea what Ferrari were doing with Kimi, they should've pitted him far earlier.

Season could do with a Vettel DNF to even up the title fight though. He's edging away to another title at the mo...

advertisement

Back