advertisement

Teddy Pardo PR1 vs Naim NAC252

Do you also have the effect, that the sound will be better after the first 1/2-1 hour? My devices are under power since two weeks, but it seems, that they need a warm-up under music-power. I have to say, that mute is activated after my music sessions. Should I deactivate it? There is also a humming noise from the speakers with activated mute. No noise without mute.
Not really, if the room is very cold perhaps a bit but I think that is more to do with the speakers warming up. If there is any effect, I think it’s pretty small at least.

Which component of your system has the mute button? I don’t have a mute button on any of the TP gear I have, the volume control is just a motorised analogue volume control. The streamer I use has a digital volume control, but the system is completely silent when there is no input. I’d be inclined to deactivate the mute, if that stops the humming noise.

Not really, if the room is very cold perhaps a bit but I think that is more to do with the speakers warming up. If there is any effect, I think it’s pretty small at least.

Which component of your system has the mute button? I don’t have a mute button on any of the TP gear I have, the volume control is just a motorised analogue volume control. The streamer I use has a digital volume control, but the system is completely silent when there is no input. I’d be inclined to deactivate the mute, if that stops the humming noise.

The PR1 has a mute function. Lucky thing, that the Naim remote could be used.
I will test, if the mute function is also responsible for the warm-up phase. To use the mute function comes from my Naim usage. But it‘ s different. With Naim, the noise was much lower with activated mute.

Today I switched from Teddy to Naim, because i wanted to check my subwoofer.
Curious thing. I had all test‘s made with my CDS3 and Teddy XPS. Yesterday I was listening to my Rega P8 with Apheta2. After some LP‘s I had chosen Harry Belafonte „Live at Carnegy Hall“. First song and my subwoofer was extremly bumping. First I thought, the LP had a height impact, but it wasn‘t. So I Chose an other LP. Not with the same extreme result, but the subwoofer was bumping a lot. Other LP‘s were playing without problems. And it had nothing to do with the bass of the song. So I turned to CDS3 - nothing! To be sure, that the problem had nothing to do with Teddy, I switched back to Naim, but with the same result. This problem comes up now, because i connected the Subwoofer Input with poweramp output. In the past, I had the connection between pre-out and subwoofer. There wasn‘t any problem. But my used Teddy PR1 has no 2nd output. I am actually in contact with Teddy to get a 2nd output for my PR1. I am sure this will solve this problem. But I don‘t know what the problem is.

Anyone with same experiences or an idea what caused this problem?

Last edited:
The PR1 is now on it‘s way to Israel. I hope I’ll get it back before I sell the Naim gear.

Last edited:
Today I switched from Teddy to Naim, because i wanted to check my subwoofer.
Curious thing. I had all test‘s made with my CDS3 and Teddy XPS. Yesterday I was listening to my Rega P8 with Apheta2. After some LP‘s I had chosen Harry Belafonte „Live at Carnegy Hall“. First song and my subwoofer was extremly bumping. First I thought, the LP had a height impact, but it wasn‘t. So I Chose an other LP. Not with the same extreme result, but the subwoofer was bumping a lot. Other LP‘s were playing without problems. And it had nothing to do with the bass of the song. So I turned to CDS3 - nothing! To be sure, that the problem had nothing to do with Teddy, I switched back to Naim, but with the same result. This problem comes up now, because i connected the Subwoofer Input with poweramp output. In the past, I had the connection between pre-out and subwoofer. There wasn‘t any problem. But my used Teddy PR1 has no 2nd output. I am actually in contact with Teddy to get a 2nd output for my PR1. I am sure this will solve this problem. But I don‘t know what the problem is.

Anyone with same experiences or an idea what caused this problem?

Now I adjusted the antiskating new and cleaned the needle. It is better now, but the problem not completely solved. We will see after the PR1 will return...

OK, as promised, some more informations about my trials.

I checked the Teddy combination with well known songs.
Power- and interconnect cable were (mostly) the same, as used for Naim.
Only the Chord Sarum Tuned Aray could not be used, because it‘s a RCA to 5-pol Din.

First impression was, that soundstage with Teddy is bigger.
Also more bass and no harsh treble. I heard some details, I never
heard with Naim. But there were two songs with very good voices,
where I (thought) lost a little bit in the interpretation:

1. Sophie Zelmani: So long
There is a wooden knocking inside the song. In the past it was very clear to hear.
Now it was a little lost inside the song.

2. Katie Melua: Spider‘s web
There is a part, where you could see and smell the „width of a thread“.
Now interpretaion was a little bit emotionless.

So I switched back to Naim. But this was not better .
What happened? In the past I used my Chord interconnect between CD and Pre amplifier. Now I have used a other good interconnect.
Back to the Chord, and there was everything what I missed.

I will try now Teddy interconnect cable. If this will not solve the problem,
I will go back to the Chord Sarum Tuned Aray with bothside RCA.

But except the described details in this 2 songs, everything was better with Teddy. The soundstage was bigger, more 3D. Every instrument was clear defined.
Also the sound itselfs sounds more naturally. I have more bass. Never thought, that
my B&W 805D2 could do this. Also no harsh treble. Everything without loosing details and emotions. In the past, especially older songs, sounds a little bit thin.
After 22 years with Naim, I never thought to find something, what sounds better to me, as Naim. Now I will sell my Naim stuff on Ebay.

That was something, I really never thought.
Thanks to all for the helpful informations I got in this forum.
OK, as promised, some more informations about my trials.

I checked the Teddy combination with well known songs.
Power- and interconnect cable were (mostly) the same, as used for Naim.
Only the Chord Sarum Tuned Aray could not be used, because it‘s a RCA to 5-pol Din.

First impression was, that soundstage with Teddy is bigger.
Also more bass and no harsh treble. I heard some details, I never
heard with Naim. But there were two songs with very good voices,
where I (thought) lost a little bit in the interpretation:

1. Sophie Zelmani: So long
There is a wooden knocking inside the song. In the past it was very clear to hear.
Now it was a little lost inside the song.

2. Katie Melua: Spider‘s web
There is a part, where you could see and smell the „width of a thread“.
Now interpretaion was a little bit emotionless.

So I switched back to Naim. But this was not better .
What happened? In the past I used my Chord interconnect between CD and Pre amplifier. Now I have used a other good interconnect.
Back to the Chord, and there was everything what I missed.

I will try now Teddy interconnect cable. If this will not solve the problem,
I will go back to the Chord Sarum Tuned Aray with bothside RCA.

Problem solved with Teddy interconnect cable. They displaced my other good interconnect cable and come very very close up to the Chord for less money.

I would have said, from my experience, that if there are problems of subwoofer cone hitting the stops it is coming from the subsonic component of the turntable output.

I don't see how cables would affect that issue. Some amps have built in subsonic filters, usually called a rumble filter but they can affect the sound adversely in other ways.

I would have said, from my experience, that if there are problems of subwoofer cone hitting the stops it is coming from the subsonic component of the turntable output.

I don't see how cables would affect that issue. Some amps have built in subsonic filters, usually called a rumble filter but they can affect the sound adversely in other ways.

Sorry, for the confusion, but I meant two different topics:

1. Bumbing of subwoofer membrans by playing LP.

This problem was reduced by adjusting antiskating and cleaning of the needle.

It seems that this problem is well known. But I am not sure, why this problem will came up with switch from RCA output to speaker output.

2. Loosing details in music, by using a different interconnect, instead of the Cord Sarum.

I ordered the Teddy Interconnect RCA cable and tested it. It was just working a few hours but better in performance as my other (Phonosophie PK2 AG) cable. Just comparing it with Chord Sarum, only small differences in details were perceptible.
I would assume after burn-in, this (small) differences will dissapear. I am really suprized about cable quality for this small amount.

Last edited:
I see.

Your problem in (1) is as you say a common issue I have experienced. Typically with cartridge / tonearm compliance / mass mismatch. A nasty very low frequency oscillation will cause sw probs. Also cone "drift" is a disconcerting look whilst listening.

It seems you have cured it with a little tweaking.

Good job!

I see.

Your problem in (1) is as you say a common issue I have experienced. Typically with cartridge / tonearm compliance / mass mismatch. A nasty very low frequency oscillation will cause sw probs. Also cone "drift" is a disconcerting look whilst listening.

It seems you have cured it with a little tweaking.

Good job!

Thank you.

The PR1 is now on it‘s way back with 2nd output and modified to last version.
Teddy was really courteous.
Hope it will arrive before christmas holidays :)

And it‘s back. Interesting thing: 3 weeks to Israel, 1 week back.
Tomorrow I will check the unit. I got also an update to last revision
and a new remote control. Teddy‘s service is 1+ :).

I’m intrigued by this Teddy Pardo stuff. If his kit really is better than a 52/SC/250 at a fraction of the price, then I’m tempted to try it out.

Has anyone here not been convinced & returned the stuff to Israel? What would the cost be to return a Pre/Monos system?

Or are there any proud owners around the North West who wouldn’t mind letting me have a listen?

Ta

The monos are actually out of stock at Teddy‘s homepage.
But there is also a used pair at Ebay.

I had no regrets to change my stuff.

I would offer to hear it, but I am living in Germany :cool:

First sound check was done. Never thought that I missed it so much.
I am not really sure but I think soundstage is better now.
Also details and treble are increasing. Treble seems a little bit harsh,
but I also got a second pair of interconnect. So I have now Teddy interconnect between Pre and Monos and Source. I think the harshness will disapear after burn-in. From my point of view, it was the right decission to change from Naim to Teddy :D. Looking back, I should have done this step years before...

I’m intrigued by this Teddy Pardo stuff. If his kit really is better than a 52/SC/250 at a fraction of the price, then I’m tempted to try it out.

Has anyone here not been convinced & returned the stuff to Israel? What would the cost be to return a Pre/Monos system?

Or are there any proud owners around the North West who wouldn’t mind letting me have a listen?

Ta
I'm in Gatley and have a PR1 and the monoblocs with a CDX2 source andTeddy XPS firing into B&W 803s - Happy for you to have al listen if you wish. These replaced a 250.2 and a nac202

I'm in Gatley and have a PR1 and the monoblocs with a CDX2 source andTeddy XPS firing into B&W 803s - Happy for you to have al listen if you wish. These replaced a 250.2 and a nac202

Thanks Jamjar, I’ll take you up on that.
I’ll PM you to arrange.

advertisement

Back