advertisement

Teddy Pardo PR1 vs Naim NAC252

OK, as promised, some more informations about my trials.

I checked the Teddy combination with well known songs.
Power- and interconnect cable were (mostly) the same, as used for Naim.
Only the Chord Sarum Tuned Aray could not be used, because it‘s a RCA to 5-pol Din.

First impression was, that soundstage with Teddy is bigger.
Also more bass and no harsh treble. I heard some details, I never
heard with Naim. But there were two songs with very good voices,
where I (thought) lost a little bit in the interpretation:

1. Sophie Zelmani: So long
There is a wooden knocking inside the song. In the past it was very clear to hear.
Now it was a little lost inside the song.

2. Katie Melua: Spider‘s web
There is a part, where you could see and smell the „width of a thread“.
Now interpretaion was a little bit emotionless.

So I switched back to Naim. But this was not better .
What happened? In the past I used my Chord interconnect between CD and Pre amplifier. Now I have used a other good interconnect.
Back to the Chord, and there was everything what I missed.

I will try now Teddy interconnect cable. If this will not solve the problem,
I will go back to the Chord Sarum Tuned Aray with bothside RCA.

But except the described details in this 2 songs, everything was better with Teddy. The soundstage was bigger, more 3D. Every instrument was clear defined.
Also the sound itselfs sounds more naturally. I have more bass. Never thought, that
my B&W 805D2 could do this. Also no harsh treble. Everything without loosing details and emotions. In the past, especially older songs, sounds a little bit thin.
After 22 years with Naim, I never thought to find something, what sounds better to me, as Naim. Now I will sell my Naim stuff on Ebay.

That was something, I really never thought.
Thanks to all for the helpful informations I got in this forum.

After 22 years with Naim, I never thought to find something, what sounds better to me, as Naim. Now I will sell my Naim stuff on Ebay.

Very pleased to hear that you have the TP up and running. I hope you have a long and fruitful association with the equipment and it continues to please you.

Good luck
:):)

Very pleased to hear that you have the TP up and running. I hope you have a long and fruitful association with the equipment and it continues to please you.

Good luck
:):)

That‘s the plan, thanks . Maybe some slight modifications with cables. But I will say never never.

OK, as promised, some more informations about my trials.

I checked the Teddy combination with well known songs.
Power- and interconnect cable were (mostly) the same, as used for Naim.
Only the Chord Sarum Tuned Aray could not be used, because it‘s a RCA to 5-pol Din.

First impression was, that soundstage with Teddy is bigger.
Also more bass and no harsh treble. I heard some details, I never
heard with Naim. But there were two songs with very good voices,
where I (thought) lost a little bit in the interpretation:

1. Sophie Zelmani: So long
There is a wooden knocking inside the song. In the past it was very clear to hear.
Now it was a little lost inside the song.

2. Katie Melua: Spider‘s web
There is a part, where you could see and smell the „width of a thread“.
Now interpretaion was a little bit emotionless.

So I switched back to Naim. But this was not better .
What happened? In the past I used my Chord interconnect between CD and Pre amplifier. Now I have used a other good interconnect.
Back to the Chord, and there was everything what I missed.

I will try now Teddy interconnect cable. If this will not solve the problem,
I will go back to the Chord Sarum Tuned Aray with bothside RCA.

But except the described details in this 2 songs, everything was better with Teddy. The soundstage was bigger, more 3D. Every instrument was clear defined.
Also the sound itselfs sounds more naturally. I have more bass. Never thought, that
my B&W 805D2 could do this. Also no harsh treble. Everything without loosing details and emotions. In the past, especially older songs, sounds a little bit thin.

That was something, I really never thought.
Thanks to all for the helpful informations I got in this forum.

Thanks Steve, for the update. I'm really struggling with doing the same thing. Everything is pointing to doing it except for the hassle of selling my old stuff if I do.

What kind of music do you mostly listen to?

Running a seperate DAC?

What are your speakers?

Keep us up on the cable switching...and if it makes any difference!

Thanks!!

Thanks Steve, for the update. I'm really struggling with doing the same thing. Everything is pointing to doing it except for the hassle of selling my old stuff if I do.

What kind of music do you mostly listen to?

Running a seperate DAC?

What are your speakers?

Keep us up on the cable switching...and if it makes any difference!

Thanks!!

Hi Johnny,
I am often listen to vocal based music, like Katie Melua, Norah Jones, Eva Cassidy, etc. But I also like Guitar based music from Nils Lofgren or everything from Stockfisch Records. Music from the ˋ80, like Toto, Saga, Genesis, etc.
I don‘t like classic.

I have no seperate DAC, but I am listening to a CDS3 with TPXPS. My TT is
a Rega P8 with Apheta2 and Phono-Pre Tom Evans Microgroove+.
Speakers are B&W 805D2 with Sub B&W PV1D.

For me it was the right decission. But I think you should test ist before you decide to go the same way. I am living in Germany between Düsseldorf / Cologne.
If you are living nearby, you are invited to come and hear it.

I will keep you updated with the cables.

The Teddy Pre was a much more recent addition.These (there are two boxes)

took over from a NAC282/Dual Teddycap with Lunar snaics.'From cold' I was taken aback by the detailed presentation compared to the Naim/Teddy combo.After a week or so the Teddy kit is surpassing all my expectations.

A smooth detailed presentation with a wide soundstage,precise instrument placement rhythm and timing are all there.Vocals are more life like than I have heard before.

The above thread was posted by me six years ago.

Uncannily similar to your findings Steve.

My Naim kit was sold and the Teddy pre remained, in fact I now have a full Teddy set up including speakers.

No regrets whatsoever.

Hi Johnny,
I am often listen to vocal based music, like Katie Melua, Norah Jones, Eva Cassidy, etc. But I also like Guitar based music from Nils Lofgren or everything from Stockfisch Records. Music from the ˋ80, like Toto, Saga, Genesis, etc.
I don‘t like classic.

I have no seperate DAC, but I am listening to a CDS3 with TPXPS. My TT is
a Rega P8 with Apheta2 and Phono-Pre Tom Evans Microgroove+.
Speakers are B&W 805D2 with Sub B&W PV1D.

For me it was the right decission. But I think you should test ist before you decide to go the same way. I am living in Germany between Düsseldorf / Cologne.
If you are living nearby, you are invited to come and hear it.

I will keep you updated with the cables.

Thanks for the answers. Great music selection!

As for coming for a listen, I'm in the US. But thanks for the friendly offer.

I think I just need to pull the trigger and put the debate to rest.

took over from a NAC282/Dual Teddycap with Lunar snaics.'From cold' I was taken aback by the detailed presentation compared to the Naim/Teddy combo.After a week or so the Teddy kit is surpassing all my expectations.

A smooth detailed presentation with a wide soundstage,precise instrument placement rhythm and timing are all there.Vocals are more life like than I have heard before.

My Naim kit was sold and the Teddy pre remained, in fact I now have a full Teddy set up including speakers.

No regrets whatsoever.

Do you have the sealed or ported speakers?

Has the never ending "itch been scratched" with this setup? (Is never fully gone, but better than before)

I too, over a period of time , went from full Naim to fully Teddy, including speakers.

No regrets at all and no more upgrade demons.

Any thoughts on a Naim mix and match?

eg Teddy pre with Naim 250 power?

This was also my first thought. But I got the MB100 first.
I would assume, this would also lead to a better 3D and sound stage.
But the whole thing would be available after changing the power amplifier also.

No regrets whatsoever.

Interesting thing, that I came to the same results :)
I hope now, that I could stay with Teddy for a while.

How would you describe the speakers? Similar to any other brands?

That is a really tough one as I haven't lived with that many other speakers. I have a thing, a positive thing, about small speakers. I like speakers without ports. My speaker history was mostly Linn Kan, Naim IBL and NaimSBL in passive and active configurations. From this you will gather that tonal accuracy and big bass are not important to me.

My Teddy speakers, sealed and close to a back wall, are just what I was looking for. Highly detailed, fast, yet very musical and flowing. They lean to the bright side of neutral but are not fatiguing. This is quite a clever thing to achieve IMHO.

I do use a sealed BK sub with them as well; it gives a subtle but worthwhile fattening up of the bass.

I honestly can't tell you what other speakers sound like the pair I have from Teddy. All I know is that after they had run in, which took quite a while, I have been very happy with them. Maybe other Teddy speaker owners might be able to give you a better comparison.

I have the ported speakers from Teddy. They are positioned about 30 inches from the back wall. Compared with the large Spendors that they replaced, they seem fast and nimble and produce quite a large sound for a compact enclosure.

One question to the Teddy users:
The sound of Naim components will be better, if they are under permanent power.
What about the Teddy‘s? Will this be the same?

Last edited:
Mine have been on since about 2012 and still sound fine:). Well I exaggerate slightly, they are turned off if I’m away on holiday or something, but generally they stay on (just a TeddyDac VC and ST60 amp.)
One question to the Teddy users:
The sound of Naim components will be better, if they are under permanent power.
What about the Teddy‘s? Will this be the same?

Mine have been on since about 2012 and still sound fine:). Well I exaggerate slightly, they are turned off if I’m away on holiday or something, but generally they stay on (just a TeddyDac VC and ST60 amp.)

Do you also have the effect, that the sound will be better after the first 1/2-1 hour? My devices are under power since two weeks, but it seems, that they need a warm-up under music-power. I have to say, that mute is activated after my music sessions. Should I deactivate it? There is also a humming noise from the speakers with activated mute. No noise without mute.

Steve, any updates in the last couple of weeks? Still happy?

Hi Johnny, I am still happy. A colleague from work came to me for a music session. He was also really impressed. He came with the CD Katie Melua Collection as Japan release. I wrote, that I missed a little detail in „Spiders Web“? The quality of this CD was much better as the EU release. Nothing missed yet. Now I am looking for this Japan CD, but it seems it‘s out of print. Maybe used. I will look for it. Original comment from my colleague: Never heard it better!

Last edited:

advertisement

Back