advertisement

Teddy Pardo PR1 vs Naim NAC252

Killersteve

pfm Member
Hi there,
has anyone experience with the differences between Teddy Pardo PR1 and
Naim NAC252? I have a Naim NAC252, but I am a little bit affraid about the
number of boxes, I already have. There is NAC252/SC2/NAP200 only for the
amplifier part. Some more boxes for CD and Turntable.
Actually there are 2 racks full with equipment. I would like to reduce the number of
boxes with same or better sound quality and for less money.
What do you think? Is this possible with Teddy?
Regards
Stephan

I used to own a PR1/MB100 combo and when I took it round to a neighbour's for comparison with his 252/300 combo, the eventual outcome was that he sold his Naim gear and bought a PR1/MB100 combo himself. Fwiw, I now own a TP i80a as I needed to reduce box numbers and seeing as I live in a small flat with small bookshelf speakers, the PR1/MB100 was a tad overkill for my needs anyway, but if you're looking at adding a TP PR1 to your system, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

You ave got a very nice set-up. I used to own a Nac 252 + SC but with 2 x Nap 200 in an active system with Linn Ninkas. That was a cracking system that I would not hesitate to buy again. In particular, I think the Nap 200 is very good value - especially s/h, of course.

If the PR1 and MB 100 are as good as described, however, go for it. I think Teddy Pardo offers a trial period wher you could test the two set-ups against each other. If you can afford to do it that way.

I say this as a Teddy Pardo owner myself, but I don’t see how you are going to reduce the number of boxes very much just by swapping one pre amp for another (you save on the SC2, only), and if you then go for the twin MB100s instead of the NAP200 you’re back where you started from. Also, unless you bought wisely secondhand originally, you are bound to make a loss on selling the Naim gear, which added to the cost of new TP stuff probably means you haven’t saved that much money anyway.

I think the first thing is, are you really dissatisfied with your Naim set up, or are you just scratching the anything for a change itch? I honestly doubt there is that much difference between the two systems, Naim 200 series gear is not as obviously Naim as old olive or older stuff and Teddy Pardo is excellent value for money, but not a miracle cure.

If you really want to reduce the box count seriously , then I think you need to have a more fundamental review of your entire system, including some of those other boxes in your racks that you haven’t really mentioned in any detail.

Hi there,
has anyone experience with the differences between Teddy Pardo PR1 and
Naim NAC252? I have a Naim NAC252, but I am a little bit affraid about the
number of boxes, I already have. There is NAC252/SC2/NAP200 only for the
amplifier part. Some more boxes for CD and Turntable.
Actually there are 2 racks full with equipment. I would like to reduce the number of
boxes with same or better sound quality and for less money.
What do you think? Is this possible with Teddy?
Regards
Stephan

The outcome could be less money but same number of boxes saving you one shelf only

Can't comment on final sound quality but I guess you will be offered more opinions and suggestions if revealing your entire setup and if you wish to continue with cd/vinyl playback only ?

Thanks for your comments.
The number of boxes is one thing, the other, I am not 100% lucky with my setup.
The change from CDX2 to a used CDS3 was a real step I could follow. More details,
deepness. From Amp-side, I switched from Supernait with HiCap, to NAC282 with HiCap,
than 2 HiCap, SC and now to NAC252 with SC. The details were better with every step,
but I think I loss speed and punch. Am I crazy, or is this a experience someone from the
board also made?
CD / Vinyl are my prefered sources. Maybe in future I would also try to stream, but in
the moment I am trying to have not more boxes :)

Actually I am looking for a used Teddy PR1 and 2x MW100 to compare it with my setup.
Someone from you want to sell :)

I went from the set up you have (I had an olive 250) to PR1 and MB100.
I was using Rega Elas which I don't think cope well with the extra detail with the TP units.
I did try other speakers but to be honest I went back to a CDI, 82 and 250 which is OK.
Did you think of trying a 300 with the 252?
I heard that pairing and it does add a fair bit of oomph! (and an extra box, expense...) - I did like the 252/300 a lot.
Not sure if that helps or not!

I have had Naim amps in the past, I think I got as far as 102/SC/180. And then to Cary tubes. Last few years have been running the Modwright KWI200, fantastic one box integrated, great sound, no fuss. Can listen for hours, no fatigue. Got the Orchids on I as write, criminally underrated band. This amp just gets out of the way of the music, no tweaking, you just turn it on and it plays great.

Many people find some swings and roundabouts moving from 282 to 252. The latter brings a more poised and detailed sound but loses some of the raw life of the former. Which you find more acceptable depends on the music you prefer. Apparently, the new DR power supply restores some of this energy to the 252, but I haven’t heard for myself.

Sounds like a lot of money and box swapping to me. It all depends on what music you listen to, if its raw then may'be you don't want more detail. Play around with aspects may'be like TT or streaming source.

Did you think of trying a 300 with the 252?
I heard that pairing and it does add a fair bit of oomph! (and an extra box, expense...) - I did like the 252/300 a lot.
Not sure if that helps or not!

No, the 300 is too expensive for me. And I have no space for additional boxes. The only reason I actually own a 252 is, I bought it used with some extra cash on my 282. Last time I had a new Naim was in 2009 my Supernait. After this, the prices for new equipment increases in Germany a lot. But I am thinking about to buy the Teddy MB100 first.

Last few years have been running the Modwright KWI200, fantastic one box integrated, great sound, no fuss. Can listen for hours, no fatigue. Got the Orchids on I as write, criminally underrated band. This amp just gets out of the way of the music, no tweaking, you just turn it on and it plays great.

Thanks. I will look for it here in Germany. Maybe I could find something about it.

I used to own a PR1/MB100 combo and when I took it round to a neighbour's for comparison with his 252/300 combo, the eventual outcome was that he sold his Naim gear and bought a PR1/MB100 combo himself.

Could you expain what is different to the Naim setup?

advertisement

Back