advertisement

Teddy Pardo PR1 vs Naim NAC252

I tried a TP Dual TeddyCap on my 82 /250 in place of 2 x Hicaps & was well impressed with the TP so bought one, sold the 2 x hicaps & put £500 in the bank... well for a little while until I had my 82 Superlinked by Witch Hat & the replaced the TP Dual TC with a TPSC - awesome - retained the Naim sound with more detail & control :)

The guy I bought the Dual TC off was running PR1/MB100 into SL2s - incredibly controlled , detailed & refined but, to me, it sounded just a little too polite . He said that though his TP journey - power supplies, then power amps then pre amp - the Naim sound remained largely unchanged until he swapped his 82 for the PR1

I tried a TP Dual TeddyCap on my 82 /250 in place of 2 x Hicaps & was well impressed with the TP so bought one, sold the 2 x hicaps & put £500 in the bank... well for a little while until I had my 82 Superlinked by Witch Hat & the replaced the TP Dual TC with a TPSC - awesome - retained the Naim sound with more detail & control :)

The guy I bought the Dual TC off was running PR1/MB100 into SL2s - incredibly controlled , detailed & refined but, to me, it sounded just a little too polite . He said that though his TP journey - power supplies, then power amps then pre amp - the Naim sound remained largely unchanged until he swapped his 82 for the PR1

OK, that‘s the way I will go for. I would test the MB100 against the Nap200. I would asume, that this will bring more power and punch. If I could buy a PR1 used, I would compare it against my NAC252. If this will bring more speed, and same or better details as the 252, I could save some money.

A bit late, but I sold my 250.2 having compared it to a pair of MB100's I had via Teddy's demo scheme. The MB100's were significantly better.

Actually there are 2 racks full with equipment. I would like to reduce the number of
boxes with same or better sound quality and for less money.
What do you think? Is this possible with Teddy?

Certainly possible, and with Teddy. I never had a 252, went from 202/200 to 52/135s. Four boxes for the amps alone. And a NDS with two power supplies. Ridiculous when I think back. Swapped it all out for a TP i80A which was better all round, and sounded better for me. Teddy said that the integrated would sound as good as separates for the speakers that I had anyway. He would know. I'm now onto valves, which I prefer.
So, you can reduce box count with Teddy or perhaps any of the great integrated valve amps around. Should be fun trying out new stuff.

If you wish to release some cash but retain the Naim sound why not go Olive 82/HC/250. I recently went from 282/DualTeddycap/300 into Dynaudio Contour s3.4's to 102/HC/180 into the same speakers released over £4,000 and don't feel I have lost anything sound wise in fact there are times that I enjoy the Olive more. Importantly I am using a vinyl source which really suits the Olive kit.

If you wish to release some cash but retain the Naim sound why not go Olive 82/HC/250. I recently went from 282/DualTeddycap/300 into Dynaudio Contour s3.4's to 102/HC/180 into the same speakers released over £4,000 and don't feel I have lost anything sound wise in fact there are times that I enjoy the Olive more. Importantly I am using a vinyl source which really suits the Olive kit.
I’m not at all surprised to hear this, for two reasons. First, I prefer a Hicap to a Teddycap, especially on higher end Naim systems. Second, 282/300 is not a good match to my ears. If I couldn’t afford 252/300 and had a 282, I would rather pair it with a 250, or even a 200 or 180. The other, ‘lesser’ Naim systems you mention are nicely balanced, and I would prefer to live with either of them.

A bit late, but I sold my 250.2 having compared it to a pair of MB100's I had via Teddy's demo scheme. The MB100's were significantly better.

I am just waiting for the MB100, I bought in the forum. I am curious about the differences between Nap200 and the MB100.

Certainly possible, and with Teddy. I never had a 252, went from 202/200 to 52/135s. Four boxes for the amps alone. And a NDS with two power supplies. Ridiculous when I think back. Swapped it all out for a TP i80A which was better all round, and sounded better for me. Teddy said that the integrated would sound as good as separates for the speakers that I had anyway. He would know. I'm now onto valves, which I prefer.
So, you can reduce box count with Teddy or perhaps any of the great integrated valve amps around. Should be fun trying out new stuff.

I thought about the i80A also, but I am not sure if the 2x 60 Watt will be enough.
If the MB100 will convince me, I will also go for the PR1.

Yes, I thought about this also, but I am not sure, if this will lead to
1. less boxes and
2. similar or better sound quality.
If I could go for teddy, the upgrade thinking should also come to an end.
Also the re-capping would not be necessary.

Last edited:
I’m not at all surprised to hear this, for two reasons. First, I prefer a Hicap to a Teddycap, especially on higher end Naim systems. Second, 282/300 is not a good match to my ears. If I couldn’t afford 252/300 and had a 282, I would rather pair it with a 250, or even a 200 or 180. The other, ‘lesser’ Naim systems you mention are nicely balanced, and I would prefer to live with either of them.

Informations I got are:

Teddy XPS is equal to Naim XPS2
That´ s the reason why I also use the Teddy XPS. I never compared it to Naim XPS2, but I am really suprised about the result.

I will test the MB100. If this will surprise me, I will test the PR1 next. Maybe I could go for a used PR1.

Informations I got are:

Teddy XPS is equal to Naim XPS2
That´ s the reason why I also use the Teddy XPS. I never compared it to Naim XPS2, but I am really suprised about the result.

I will test the MB100. If this will surprise me, I will test the PR1 next. Maybe I could go for a used PR1.

Hello Killersteve, If you are near the Kidderminster area you are welcome to have a listen to my MB100/PR1/TXPS - I am the guy Clive bought his dual TC from

Hello Killersteve, If you are near the Kidderminster area you are welcome to have a listen to my MB100/PR1/TXPS - I am the guy Clive bought his dual TC from

Hi, it seems there is a Channel between us :)
I am living in Germany, between Collogne and Düsseldorf.
But thank you for your offer.
It seems, that I can buy a PR1 from Australia :)

There’s a guy on EBay that is selling (maybe sold now) x4 MB100s and possibly a PR1, could be worth messaging him. I have no connection to the seller...

From a personal perspective I have the following TP kit - x2 MB100s, PR1 and DAC all brought used through this fine establishment and can only offer exceptional praise for the value for money, quality of gear and audio. Speakers are Harbeth P3SRs which I just never tire of. Previous kit was lower end Naim, Nap100, Qute2 etc. So can’t offer comment on a direct comparison. For me it speaks volumes (pardon the pun) that I haven’t read a bad review or thread on TP gear...

I look forward to reading how you get on...

ATB

Gingerbeard

There’s a guy on EBay that is selling (maybe sold now) x4 MB100s and possibly a PR1, could be worth messaging him. I have no connection to the seller...

From a personal perspective I have the following TP kit - x2 MB100s, PR1 and DAC all brought used through this fine establishment and can only offer exceptional praise for the value for money, quality of gear and audio. Speakers are Harbeth P3SRs which I just never tire of. Previous kit was lower end Naim, Nap100, Qute2 etc. So can’t offer comment on a direct comparison. For me it speaks volumes (pardon the pun) that I haven’t read a bad review or thread on TP gear...

I look forward to reading how you get on...

ATB

Gingerbeard

The guy who sell the 4x MB100 is also from this forum. I already bought 2x MB100 from him and now I am waiting for the stuff. The PR1 is from StereoNet forum in Australia. Already sold and waiting for next steps. The MB100 were well known from a friend and he could recommend it. I would expect more power and punch.
The comparision between NAC252 and PR1 is the most interesting thing for me.
Will the PR1 playing more like the „old“ CB? Means less details but more sound?
I will keep you up to date.

Regards

Killersteve

MB100 and PR1 are on the way.
The MB100 will arrive next week, the PR1 arrive date is unknown actually.
Someone from the board want to sell a pair of Teddy RCA to RCA cables?
For the use of MB100 with NAC252, I will get a pair of RCA to 4-pol DIN directly from Teddy.

MB100 and PR1 are on the way.
The MB100 will arrive next week, the PR1 arrive date is unknown actually.
Someone from the board want to sell a pair of Teddy RCA to RCA cables?
For the use of MB100 with NAC252, I will get a pair of RCA to 4-pol DIN directly from Teddy.

The MB100 have arrived (thank you to Bill) but the connection cable 2 RCA to 4-pol DIN (from Teddy directly) is missing.
I think, it will go first to the customs office and I have to pay VAT.
But I was a little curious, so I tested it with the existing standard cable from my subwoofer. I replaced the NAP200 with 2 MB100.
Following happened:
- the soundstage was growing up. Every instrument had a clear defined place.
- bass was growing up. In the past it was a little thin, so a sub was needed.
- no lack of power. Never thought that my 805D2 are able to handle it.
- no details missing. Some of them are very clear now.
Never thought about such a difference with just standard cable.
It will be very interesting if the cable from Teddy will arrive.
Also when I could compare the NAC252 against the PR1.
I keep you updated.

How are they working out?

FWIW I had loads of Naim over the years including 250's 135's and active with 2x250. I've been using the Teddy monos for a few years now and they just get on with doing their thing, which is playing great, involving, music day after day. No more upgrade niggles at all.

How are they working out?

FWIW I had loads of Naim over the years including 250's 135's and active with 2x250. I've been using the Teddy monos for a few years now and they just get on with doing their thing, which is playing great, involving, music day after day. No more upgrade niggles at all.

The Teddy cable already arrived, but PR1 ist still missing.
With change of the cable, sound is more shining, but bass is a little less.
Before switch of cables I thought, I could cancel the sub, but now I am not sure.
The MB100 are working fine. Most is like I wrote before:
- Increasing soundstage.
- Bass is now a little bit more, but not that much, as before.
- Clear defined details in the room. Every instrument has a clear place.
- Some details are now more clear.
- No hum noise of the amplifiers.
I am also waiting for an additional powercable, because of switch to monos,
there is one less. I tried to use a standard cable at my CDS3/TPXPS, but the
sound is now like it plays behind a curtain. So I am actually using my Rega P8/Apheta2 only.

advertisement

Back