advertisement

Tannoy Westminster Build.

Finished off the backs which was quiet a big job but really pleased that the veneer is matched well...shame you won't see them, well unless you look behind. Just the speaker connections to route out and the cabinets are finished.

DSCN0686 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0685 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0687 by simon ms, on Flickr

Thanks for looking in,

Si.

Just amazing stuff, jus getting the copper round into the wood so perfectly, so far beyond my skills.

I love the little buttons to hide the bolts on the cross over boxes.
How are you going to move these beasts into place? Any idea what they will weigh?

I love the little buttons to hide the bolts on the cross over boxes.
How are you going to move these beasts into place? Any idea what they will weigh?

Thanks Anex,

Well....enclosure volume is just over half a cubic meter and i estimate they weigh about 135kg:eek:

I have made the bases detachable and the back and drivers are obviously removable but still a hefty cabinet...managed to get them up 2 flights of steps safely with 3 people and I have a kidney stone so 2 and a half:)

Drilling the backs today and waiting for damping material to turn up, not long hopefully, also looking into the hard edge surrounds on the drivers and hard wiring but i think i should stop somewhere or at least pause.
I have also put a coat of clear wax on them which looks very nice when polished up:)

More pics soon,

Cheers Si.

Hi Folks,

Well nearly there...i am just damping down the compression areas of the cabinet with lambs wool and need a bit of advice. Once i screw the driver in to the baffle then the wool will be stuffed in around it but want to protect it from dust and fluff getting into areas where it should be getting so any ideas on something to shield it from the wool? I have some acoustic foam i could cut to size and place around the unit that would offer protection but unsure if this is the way to go...anyway here is some pics of this stage.

DSCN0691 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0692 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0693 by simon ms, on Flickr

Cheers Si.

Hey Si,

Do Tannoy do this? If not, after 20 years of development then why would you?

Thanks for the reply, the original Westminsters are not damped with lambswool as far as i am aware. I am following another DIY build here that used this method to damp the cabinets so am posting to establish if it seems a good idea or not, as i mentioned i want to keep the wool away from the drive unit so Tannoy would not have been presented with the problem.
I have no original plans and no 20 years experience so am looking for some constructive advise on a solution.

Why would the foam effect anything in the low frequencies? I am no expert so feel free to critique as i can easily change things if i need to.

Ideas very welcome.:)

VB Si

Thanks for the reply, the original Westminsters are not damped with lambswool as far as i am aware. I am following another DIY build here that used this method to damp the cabinets so am posting to establish if it seems a good idea or not, as i mentioned i want to keep the wool away from the drive unit so Tannoy would not have been presented with the problem.
I have no original plans and no 20 years experience so am looking for some constructive advise on a solution.

Why would the foam effect anything in the low frequencies? I am no expert so feel free to critique as i can easily change things if i need to.

Ideas very welcome.:)

VB Si

OK, assuming you decide to go head with the damping, net curtain behind the driver is your friend;-).

OK, assuming you decide to go head with the damping, net curtain behind the driver is your friend;-).

Ahh I miss understood, ok I am dampening as that is what has been recommended, I will listen too the speakers with and without damping and everything in between until i am happy with the sound. I have just been out to buy some muslin which i think will work ok and i may get the sowing machine out and make some pillow type cases and fill them with the lambswool then attach to the walls as I have seen done in other Tannoys.

Thanks for the thoughts,

Si

Ahh I miss understood, ok I am dampening as that is what has been recommended, I will listen too the speakers with and without damping and everything in between until i am happy with the sound. I have just been out to buy some muslin which i think will work ok and i may get the sowing machine out and make some pillow type cases and fill them with the lambswool then attach to the walls as I have seen done in other Tannoys.

Thanks for the thoughts,

Si

Sounds like a good plan;-)

Well they are working, please ignore the source, waiting on Well Tempered to be joined by a phono stage next week. Still work in progress, need to fit the bases. The sound is not quiet right, muddled and recessed in the mids and no real high end sparkle but.....but they are, even that said, astonishingly dynamic and physical.

I think a better source will help a lot here, some damping (but not a lot) and a few tweaks in the cross overs high filter settings etc. Here are some pics of them as they stand.

DSCN0791 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0792 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0795 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0797 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0796 by simon ms, on Flickr

Cheers Si.

absolutely superb.. great looking cabinets, and i'm sure you'll iron out the niggles soon enough

advertisement

Back