advertisement

Tannoy Westminster Build.

Not sure about the Tom Baker bit, and I know he didn't take anything "unusual " whilst I was around, but apart from that I have to agree with everything Rasher has said, It didn't matter what type of music we threw at these fantastic speakers they just gently embraced it with a style of there own that I have never heard before. They are dynamic ,start and stop like a Formula One racing car, Gentle, like a well worn Kid Glove and extraordinarily detailed In fact everything that we hope to hear, but very rarely if ever do. Simon still thinks there may be a little more he can achieve from these speakers but I don't think that you need to guild lilies.
Simon's system has made me wish that I was 40 odd years younger and about to start again and having heard what Simon has achived I would not have ended up with the Naim /Linn set up that I have now.
Oldie

Thanks Fellows,
Really pleased you enjoyed the evening, very much enjoy our evenings listening to various records and chatting. Your opinions are very welcome and valued.
I am not one for descriptions and reviews especially on something that i have built so all i will say is that i am very pleased with the results and i listen to music much more than i used too.
I think i mentioned that the point of my DIY build was to build a system of good sound quality with traits that appeal in the various systems and boxes i have been fortunate enough to hear at a sensible price point. I found the high cost (to me) of my previous systems to be lessening my listening enjoyment so decided to change things.
I think Bottleneck has said before that there is no point in DIY unless you build something that is very expensive for a much lower cost, well i certainly achieved that as i think Westminsters retail around £25,000 these days and my build cost me around £3500 and a few people have commented they look better than the originals upon seeing them.
The WT is the only thing i kept hold of from my older set up, it neither adds or takes away which is what i want from a source and the valve amp at 22wpc nits it together nicely and finishes a system i have no intention of changing apart from a nice mc cart as and when i can afford it.
I enjoy building speakers and am about to embark on another build so will keep you posted with that one.

Very Best Si.

Hi - interested in doing something like this myself. Any way you would be happy sharing the plans? Or know where I could get hold of some? Thanks

advertisement

Back