advertisement

Tannoy Westminster Build.

Simonms, wow...fantastic build, thanks for posting this. When your arms have recovered a few picture of the finished article in their new home would round things off nicely ;)

Cheers.

They just looked like a mass of panels until I saw the curved horns go in.

Really superb work! Did you cnc the curve formers?

Simonms, wow...fantastic build, thanks for posting this. When your arms have recovered a few picture of the finished article in their new home would round things off nicely ;)

Cheers.

Will do, thanks for the comments!

David, its odd to see a speaker in all its component parts, especially this one as it shows how much timber is need (and how heavy it will become). There are a lot of panels that are 26mm thick in an attempt to avoid any cabinet resonance but we will see whether that is an issue when the drivers go in.

The only piece that was CNC routed was the aperture in the front of the speaker that the horn was built into (i think you can see this in the first set of pics) as that is the key start point for the horn even a mm out and as it builds out things won't join up.
The carriers for the horns were done by hand, each one identically cut from a jig, as the curves build up each layer is individually machined as they get bigger as they move through to the top veneer. The veneer prepared by using thin paper that is laid into the curved area and carefully pushed into the seams and penciled out, cut, laid in again to see if it fits. A piece of thin cardboard as a template is the final thing cut and laid in over the curve and when you have it mm perfect its used to cut the veneer-a good scalpal and a few blades are need with a steady hand.

Thanks folks for your comments,

Si.

you must be properly excited now Si.

As I said before, a really brave and exciting project. Congratulations on such a great looking result so far.

Big thumbs up from me.

The veneer prepared by using thin paper that is laid into the curved area and carefully pushed into the seams and penciled out, cut, laid in again to see if it fits. A piece of thin cardboard as a template is the final thing cut and laid in over the curve and when you have it mm perfect its used to cut the veneer-a good scalpal and a few blades are need with a steady hand.

Hmm, I would have spent hours working out the maths, printing out arcs and cursing when I found yet another stupid mistake. That's why I'd never even think of trying something like this!

It's a wonderful build, and must have been great fun (it has been just to read!) Let us know how they sound...

Bottleneck- I did not think i was being that brave until i realized the potential for things to go wrong-i am glad i thoroughly planned for the build and really familiarized myself with the design before turning the saws on. I needed to know every mm or there would have been a lot of wasted wood, rather make my mistakes on paper than with expensive timber.

David-As I said they took a long time planning (the old fashioned way on A1 tracing paper), so the drawing and inking up took about a month in the evenings before i was confident they would work. The actual build all in was about 25-30 days- not finished yet but the moldings are really finishing these off beautifully.Virtually every piece is custom cut.

amdismal-It has been fun and run quiet smoothly which helps, the planning is so important as it would have been a pig if things had not fitted etc etc, i guess my fine art degree at least helped me with these if nothing else.

Paul-Cheers, hope your well!

Best Si.

Hi all,

Had a busy weekend, Girlfriend went to London so out came the saws!...and the hoover.

The solid oak mouldings have all been cut and fitted, they just need a good sand, then 2 coats of the polyx oil and a buff up with the drill. I studied the original mouldings closely and it was hard to work out how they may have been cut so artistic license here, a little different to the originals but very close, mine have a slight lip into the tops and also a slight angle on the edges of top and bottom to echo the finish on the vertical front mouldings, I'm very pleased with them.
All other panels apart from the fronts have been pre finished-the Osmo polyx oil is a really nice finish, not too reflective, just a satin finish that lets the grain come out nicely while drying very hard so very protective.
I also put a driver loosely in place to get an idea of how that area will look, the bases also still need to be attached and the backs also...nearly there.

Pics-

DSCN0590 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0593 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0592 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0603 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0589 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0598 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0588 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0587 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0585 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0584 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0591 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0597 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0594 by simon ms, on Flickr

DSCN0595 by simon ms, on Flickr

Best Si.

You`re living my dream there Si - I now have 3 girls(+wife) and a do`er up house to keep me too busy to ever attempt these but yours are just as I have built them in my mind.
You should upload them to the Tannoy yahoo site ( my Balmorals are up there) and Hans` Tannoy site as I think they are possibly the finest home builds I`ve come across .I prefer yours to the originals!
Very best
Fraser

Those look simply stunning, an amazing build. I'm genuinely in awe.

+1 What a great effort. When I look at your pictures I have two thoughts. One, I am beyond impressed with your skill. Two, I can see through your efforts why the Tannoy originals are so expensive.

Bookshelf speakers they're not!

Love to see a picture of them when they are in situ.

I have been following some diy threads of some big monitor clones on the Lansing Heritage forum as I am doing up a pair of old jbl cabs.
This Tannoy with the channels of the horn and all the curvey bits is simply stupendous and blows away what i have seen.
Well done Simon!

Sorry i didnt quite recognise the drivers - are those red or gold dual concentric drivers?
would love to hear these one day.

advertisement

Back