advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some better photos

DSC02219.jpg

Last edited:
Leak Stereo 20 now in use with the Croft 25. The Sony Mindisc recorder has been a fun diversion lately too. Got a new Mogami right-angled interconnect for the Leak yesterday too:

fT83upG.jpg

XAFYCAg.jpg

Finally put a picture on the wall but it’s only a temporary stop-gap I got from the charity shop I work at for £4 - incidentally, former defence minister Geoff Hoon donated some things to us yesterday and bought a James Taylor LP. Also filled up the old fireplace to reduce echoes.

AxCW8nl.jpg

Pulled the ProAc D38's out of the basement and into the main system. Driving them with a single-ended el-34 amp and Zero autoformers. Using the 4x connection on the autoformers so the amp "sees" a 16 ohm load. An unlikely combination, but it sounds wonderful! Great transparency and frequency extension, and enough volume for all but the most head-banging listening sessions. Apologies for the terrible photos.

gi.mpl

gi.mpl

gi.mpl

Last edited:
Pulled the ProAc D38's out of the basement and into the main system. Driving them with a single-ended el-34 amp and Zero autoformers. Using the 4x connection on the autoformers so the amp "sees" a 16 ohm load. An unlikely combination, but it sounds great! Great transparency and frequency extension and enough volume for all but the most head-banging listening sessions. Apologies for the terrible photos.

gi.mpl

gi.mpl

gi.mpl

Never mind about the photos, it's the rug that bothers me, did you purchase it for a dare :)

I've got visions of you slow motion tripping over those dining chairs as you sprint from the turntable after lowering the arm to try and catch the first few bars in the sweet spot :)

I'm not really a sweet spot kind guy...I like to fill the room with music that can be enjoyed anywhere. But I do still trip over things, even when not sprinting!!

My work desk... now a nicer place with baby ATCs on the ends of it!

They both have the grilles back on now!
WOW ! Some A&R Cambridge amps with ATC speakers as a desktop system, can’t ask for more !
Very glad to see I’m not the only one crazy.........euh, I meant passionate about music.

WOW ! Some A&R Cambridge amps with ATC speakers as a desktop system, can’t ask for more !
Very glad to see I’m not the only one crazy.........euh, I meant passionate about music.
I spend enough time sat there I may as well have enjoyable tunes! It could do with a bit more low end IMHO, might try a more beefy amp first.

I spend enough time sat there I may as well have enjoyable tunes! It could do with a bit more low end IMHO, might try a more beefy amp first.
Agree 100%, the amplifier I use in my office system is a Naim NAP 250.2 driving some custom made isobaric monitors.
No compromise on low end for me.
A vintage Sugden A88 would give you what you need while keeping a similar sound you have now..........

System pics 1977

Star Wars spacecraft modelling studio, check out the dodgy speaker placement!

Great video for fans of the original films:

Agree 100%, the amplifier I use in my office system is a Naim NAP 250.2 driving some custom made isobaric monitors.
No compromise on low end for me.
A vintage Sugden A88 would give you what you need while keeping a similar sound you have now..........
Very tempted to the A48 mk2 up the road in Redhill on here!
I'm half way through building a Greg Ball SKA150 which should hopefully do the trick!
Failing that I have some big old JBL subs I could box up.

Pulled the ProAc D38's out of the basement and into the main system. Driving them with a single-ended el-34 amp and Zero autoformers.

Very interesting, what is the valve amp?

I have been trying valve amps with my ProAc R2.5s. An SE 15W EL84 was powering them pretty well, a really sweet sound out of them. Not much bass though.

Also a 35W Unison Research Unico EL34 amp. Much bigger sound, just a little too woolly.

I was thinking of getting both the EL84 and a solid state amp with a bit of power to it to cover all bases.

The amp is a Nelson Image SE-8...see the included link. Single ended el34 with 6sn7 drivers. No preamp section, just a simple switch for the two inputs and a volume control. Designed by Nelson Ho (RIP) who was selling high-end amps in Asia long before the western world discovered Chinese tube amps. I've had it for about 15 years and have tried it with plenty of speakers. It can also sound a little thin or wooly powering the wrong speakers, but the autoformer really helps out with that...bass is deep and tight.

https://audioroundtable.com/FSAudio/messages/208.html

gi.mpl

gi.mpl

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back