advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some designacable belden 75 ohm cables. Nothing fancier at this stage. I’d value your thoughts on the differences between the dCS stock clock cables and others.

As you can see, Naim Fraim on Townshend corners and black ravioli pads under the Rossini and Clock feet. The dCS combo is indeed remarkable and far better than any other streamer / DAC combo I’ve heard before.

I enjoyed the extra definition offered by the 2nd hand Valhalla (v1) between clock and DAC on the main circuit (44kHZ link) so much I didn't wait more than a month before ordering a new Tyr 2 for the 48kHz link. The stock dCS BNC cables are of disappointing quality compared to the equipment they accompany.
The move of Roon from the Mac on the network to a NAS connected directly into the Rossini pass through ethernet socket was probably a more significant step up. So significant that I am still getting used to it with a very ordinary ethernet cable. I shall probably wait another week before inserting the Nordost Heimdall 2 ethernet cable.

@andrews I see little point in inserting a fancy switch between my NAS and the dCS pass through socket... I'd far prefer spending £500 on albums or a long weekend break.

I’ve looked for you :p, £1460 for a 2mtr pair :eek:.
A pair???

With dCS you only need one between NAS and DAC (no rented music here, just albums on the NAS, I'm not letting the bean-counters at Tidal/Qobuz & co decide which music is available at home).

I paid 575€ for 1m (as a regular customer, I've never paid list price for Nordost at my dealer's).

They really are spectacular, once you get (REW) the room correction software mastered they are breeze to setup. For example, I use the slightly amended version of the Harmon Curve from 20Hz to 250Hz, then its flat to 30KHz. They really do do 20Hz rather well too, no flabbly bloated bass, they simply play a full range sound from a rather small sealed cabinet.

What are your current speakers and system?
ah i assumed that was a port or line exit on the side, so an infinite baffle speaker then, are they amphions?

I enjoyed the extra definition offered by the 2nd hand Valhalla (v1) between clock and DAC on the main circuit (44kHZ link) so much I didn't wait more than a month before ordering a new Tyr 2 for the 48kHz link. The stock dCS BNC cables are of disappointing quality compared to the equipment they accompany.
The move of Roon from the Mac on the network to a NAS connected directly into the Rossini pass through ethernet socket was probably a more significant step up. So significant that I am still getting used to it with a very ordinary ethernet cable. I shall probably wait another week before inserting the Nordost Heimdall 2 ethernet cable.

@andrews I see little point in inserting a fancy switch between my NAS and the dCS pass through socket... I'd far prefer spending £500 on albums or a long weekend break.

Hello - I fully understand the desire to stop...but as the Rock is basically a modified PC, I suspect that there may be a further uplift with a good/great switch (eg Ethergegen with LPS and clock, or one box Phonenixnet). If you ever undertake thsi trail please let us know!

A pair???

With dCS you only need one between NAS and DAC (no rented music here, just albums on the NAS, I'm not letting the bean-counters at Tidal/Qobuz & co decide which music is available at home).

I paid 575€ for 1m (as a regular customer, I've never paid list price for Nordost at my dealer's).

I didn’t look up the correct item, more haste less speed :).

Hello - I fully understand the desire to stop...but as the Rock is basically a modified PC, I suspect that there may be a further uplift with a good/great switch (eg Ethergegen with LPS and clock, or one box Phonenixnet). If you ever undertake thsi trail please let us know!
Unlikely as things stand since I do not see the point of inserting a switch between the NAS and the DAC since they are directly connected to each other... The dCS is connected to the network 'box' via its main socket and the NAS is connected to the pass through socket on the dCS.

It's not a matter of cost (although I have to work in retirement to pay for the hifi purchases).

Unlikely as things stand since I do not see the point of inserting a switch between the NAS and the DAC since they are directly connected to each other... The dCS is connected to the network 'box' via its main socket and the NAS is connected to the pass through socket on the dCS.

It's not a matter of cost (although I have to work in retirement to pay for the hifi purchases).

Nigel, I tried doing the same thing initially but was told by Amber that the data from the NAS ( the Rock in my case) must go through the switch. The switch allocates the IP addresses so your data will go from the NAS through the Rossini to the switch and then back to the Rossini. You aren’t by-passing the switch. Amber, as you know, “does” networks professionally so I trust his knowledge. I hope I’m passing on the info correctly and am happy to be proved wrong as I wanted to do exactly what you are doing.

Nigel, I tried doing the same thing initially but was told by Amber that the data from the NAS ( the Rock in my case) must go through the switch. The switch allocates the IP addresses so your data will go from the NAS through the Rossini to the switch and then back to the Rossini. You aren’t by-passing the switch. Amber, as you know, “does” networks professionally so I trust his knowledge. I hope I’m passing on the info correctly and am happy to be proved wrong as I wanted to do exactly what you are doing.
One or more of the changes involved in adopting the NAS has given me a really worthwhile leap in performance.
I'm not bothered too much about which one, I'm enjoying the music :)

I'm sure my brother's ethernet cable goes directly from his storage to the dac, why would you want to be putting switches in the line?

Where's Amber when he's needed?

Dutch and Dutch, Kii, both different takes on cardioid dispersion and incorporating DSP, both very well reviewed (they certainly have me lusting after some 8c's!), why do the so called big brands not go down this route? Just imagine what a brand with some serious R&D budget could do. Or am I missing something?

Dutch and Dutch, Kii, both different takes on cardioid dispersion and incorporating DSP, both very well reviewed (they certainly have me lusting after some 8c's!), why do the so called big brands not go down this route? Just imagine what a brand with some serious R&D budget could do. Or am I missing something?

Philosophy. And many speaker brands probably do not have the budgets that you thinking of.. and would not be able to get a finished product to the market at the price point that they are aiming for. Perhaps these fancy cardiod designs will get less expensive in time.

Most speaker designers still use drivers made by third parties, so design comes down to making the best, or most cost effective, box for them.

Philosophy. And many speaker brands probably do not have the budgets that you thinking of.. and would not be able to get a finished product to the market at the price point that they are aiming for. Perhaps these fancy cardiod designs will get less expensive in time.

Most speaker designers still use drivers made by third parties, so design comes down to making the best, or most cost effective, box for them.
But D&D, Koi, even Grimm are mere minnows in the industry. Focal, kef, b&w et al could buy these guys many times over for their IP. It happens in most other industries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back