advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very tempted to the A48 mk2 up the road in Redhill on here!
I'm half way through building a Greg Ball SKA150 which should hopefully do the trick!
Failing that I have some big old JBL subs I could box up.
I have an A48 mk2 (brown and orange) and it’s a wonderful amplifier but mine hums a bit through the speakers so I wouldn’t be able to use it in an near field system.
I used it a lot in the past with my IMF Super Compact 1 and rock and blues music was addictive !

The amp is a Nelson Image SE-8...see the included link. Single ended el34 with 6sn7 drivers. No preamp section, just a simple switch for the two inputs and a volume control. Designed by Nelson Ho (RIP) who was selling high-end amps in Asia long before the western world discovered Chinese tube amps. I've had it for about 15 years and have tried it with plenty of speakers. It can also sound a little thin or wooly powering the wrong speakers, but the autoformer really helps out with that...bass is deep and tight.

https://audioroundtable.com/FSAudio/messages/208.html

gi.mpl

gi.mpl

I'm going to have to ask, what are the speaker cables?

Poor photograph compared to the last one I put on ‘system pictures,’ a while ago.
This image was took for another porpoise, but I thought I would stick it on here as well. Normally I would get a proper camera out and put some effort in. Too much pain to fart about today.

The room is still a mess, but I know where things are. This image makes the room look tidy o_O

Hard to see, but c.d. player on a skateboard, and hand built screen are just about visible.

9-BEE2-B54-B5-BE-4-D58-BB76-2448-E95-AD9-E6.jpg

Poor photograph compared to the last one I put on ‘system pictures,’ a while ago.
This image was took for another porpoise, but I thought I would stick it on here as well. Normally I would get a proper camera out and put some effort in. Too much pain to fart about today.

The room is still a mess, but I know where things are. This image makes the room look tidy o_O

Hard to see, but c.d. player on a skateboard, and hand built screen are just about visible.

An honest, cosy room centred around hifi and music. Like it. One question, if you dont mind: why have you put bloody milk in my tea?

An honest, cosy room centred around hifi and music. Like it. One question, if you dont mind: why have you put bloody milk in my tea?

Cheers.

It is coffee.

We drink Yorkshire Gold tea mostly, but I do like a Rooibos tea now and again.

Very tempted to the A48 mk2 up the road in Redhill on here!
I'm half way through building a Greg Ball SKA150 which should hopefully do the trick!
Failing that I have some big old JBL subs I could box up.

very nice ... born and bred in Redhill surrey if thats the same place

@Big Tabs the item that the coffee mug is standing on looks oddly familiar, but I don’t know why. What is it?

BTW also loving the use of the skateboard!

It is a small footstool/table that my Dad made for me about 20 yrs ago. It has my name on it :).

Dad made one for me and all his Grandkids. It is sturdy

nice set up BT , are they sonority design stands under speakers ?

Thanks.
The granite slabs under the speakers are my design. It was my attempt at ‘disconnecting’ my speakers from the wooden floor that has a 3’ void below it.

Speaker spikes > champagne corks > felt pads > granite chopping board > felt pads > granite chopping board > synthetic rubber ‘bouncy’ balls split in half > floorboards.

The Mark 1 version had just one granite slab, it worked really well, so I thought it would work better with another slab ‘sandwich,’ which it did. Made a massive difference re: stopping the floor playing along with the music.
I did report it on pfm, but I don’t know enough HiFi terminology to get noticed, and I definitely don’t do graphs :) it is one of the things I thought of that made a noticeable positive improvement.
Note: I didn’t copy anything, and have never heard of sonority. It was just an idea I had about de-coupling the speakers from the floor.

Looks like you've been snorting coke off it

the white stuff is paint fingerprints, I used the stool to stand on when I was painting the whole interior of our house 17 years ago. Gives it character.

As for cocaine, I have never fancied it despite being offered it on a few occasions.

I am a naturally ‘up’ person.

What the very feck is that thing in the bottom left corner? :eek:

Pulled the ProAc D38's out of the basement and into the main system. Driving them with a single-ended el-34 amp and Zero autoformers. Using the 4x connection on the autoformers so the amp "sees" a 16 ohm load. An unlikely combination, but it sounds wonderful! Great transparency and frequency extension, and enough volume for all but the most head-banging listening sessions. Apologies for the terrible photos.

gi.mpl

gi.mpl

gi.mpl
Living the very tasteful MCM dream there buddy! Chappeau.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back