advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Qk7QjTa.jpg

Many thanks for the likes. These are Alchris Audio custom V20 Progmeister specials.
Around 18 months ago i damaged a pair of speakers i had borrowed from a fellow neboite. Without going into details i had to sell my beloved Kralk TDB12 speakers to fund the purchase of the damaged speakers and their repair. I then sold the speakers and bought some Dali model 8 speakers as a stop gap. I considered dozens of speakers and listened to as many too and nothing came close to my Kralk's. This was confounded by the fact that Kralk audio had fallen victim to unscrupulous con men and were no longer trading. I kept in touch with Alan Clark of Kralk via social media. A few months ago i noticed some pictures of speakers being built by Alan that looked breath taking. I contacted him and he informed me that they were all part of a new range he was working on for his soon to be launched "Alchris Audio". I asked Alan if he would build me a pair of speakers and sent him some drawings. Working to my brief he advised me what was possible and what was not. Over a few weeks we agreed a design, finish, specs etc and he set about making them for me.
Which brings me to my present fortunate position of taking delivery of my custom V20 Progmeister specials. They are a dark walnut finish with two Visaton 8" bass drivers, two Visaton mid range drivers and a top of the range Visaton soft dome tweeter. All drivers have better specs than their equivalent Scanspeak and s SEAS alternatives. The bulk of the budget went on the drivers. I can report that these beast go well beyond all of my expectations. They are simply stunning. Service too has been amazing. These have been hand made and tested and far exceed all of the speakers i listened to off the peg as it were.
One of the back panel labels had the misspelling of "Progmeister". When this came to Alan's attention having seen a comment about the picture below, he contacted me immediately and within the hour had new labels in the post top me. Top geezer. Specs are on the rear label on the picture below.

W8OeUWo.jpg

Last edited:
The Tannoys look like a church PA system. Or like a priest should be standing behind them delivering a sermon. Maybe it’s British taste. I think ATCs look far better in a shared space/living room.

There's a touch of the 'brown furniture' to the Tannoys perhaps but I think they look absolutely great! They're unashamedly what they are just as much as big blue-face JBLs.

One end of the room, how it was...

System
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

And with a new stand (Thanks @ks.234 ), giving the SCM10s a run out for a while...

New to me stand, means I can finally unpack the S9000ES, the longest item I've owned at 9-years now, which is good for me!

And a throwback to 2014/15 when I had my previous pair of Tannoy Stirling HE and SCM10s, once again with the S9000ES and a different Bryston B60R.

Such a contrast - can you describe the differences in presenation of the two speakesr in your room (and which is 'best')?

Sorry I missed your reply. The Melco was a significant step up in sound quality to the Mac, the Melco is a lot cleaner electronically which I assume assists with this. Most noticeable is the separation between instruments and how quiet the background can be between instruments. I hadn't really noticed quite how noisy the Mac was until I heard the Melco. If you're interested in one I think there a lots of demo units at they dealers.

Thanks for the tip! Having heard (and descrubed on PFM) the difference switches make, I am prepared to learn if the digital source also makes such a profound change

Such a contrast - can you describe the differences in presenation of the two speakesr in your room (and which is 'best')?
The SCM10s are smoother in the treble and I think better mid-range. The Tannoys will obviously do bass depth and volume better but with more midrange colouration, possibly down to the cabinets. The room is not massive, 17ft x 10ft so the bass of the SCM10s is less of an issue, I've always would rather quality of quantity...
Which is best, not so sure yet, I get the feeling that the Tannoys would sound great with pretty much any system and pretty fogiving of recordings, I've had the ATCs for a while now, and the 2nd pair I've owned, they just seem to sound right to me, in that they just get out of the way of the music. I've tried a sub (REL Stadium II) with them which worked well but could not 100% get it to be seamless, I'd certainly love to try some SCM20s at some point, a long term 'wish list' of mine to see if they can give me more of the same with that extra dynamic ability and a bit more bass depth.
Looks wise I do like them, and certainly of any speakers I've had over the years they have had the most comments (good and bad) but there is something 'right' about the proportions of the SCM10s on the Target stands too.
I feel lucky that I'm in a position to be able to still have them side by side to compare and contrast, rather than in the past where I had to sell in order to bring anything new in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back