advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that Castle sub the one that was up Scarborough way on ebay? have you just re-drivered the cabinet or did they fit an ATC drive as OE? The Castle cabinets are well built hefty beasts in general.

Is that Castle sub the one that was up Scarborough way on ebay? have you just re-drivered the cabinet or did they fit an ATC drive as OE? The Castle cabinets are well built hefty beasts in general.

It was in Goole, up North. This version of the Castle 'Classic' originally came with ATC PA75-314 drivers in them. From my limited research, it seems the 'Inversion' subwoofer had the same driver and amplifier module too.
https://www.techradar.com/uk/review...d-av-speakers/castle-classic-sub-98651/review

Many thanks for the likes. These are Alchris Audio custom V20 Progmeister specials.
Around 18 months ago...
One of the back panel labels had the misspelling of "Progmeister". When this came to Alan's attention having seen a comment about the picture below, he contacted me immediately and within the hour had new labels in the post top me. Top geezer. Specs are on the rear label on the picture below.

W8OeUWo.jpg

I hate to break it to you, but he had better get on the telephone again, because I seriously doubt the tweeter crosses over at "3000kHz" ;-)

@sonddek those are intriguing looking tonearms. Are you able to explain something about them please?

Yes. About ten years ago I found two Garrard 301s heading for the skip and rescued them. I decided that they were too good for the SME 3009s they sported, but never had the funds to buy commensurate arms. When lockdown came I decided to try to build an arm better than my Ekos 2. To my surprise, I think I succeeded by a margin. I have applied for an international patent on the Sideways Uni-Pivot bearing. It's called SUPATRAC Blackbird. A google search will reveal more.

Yep the 'compact' plinth looks great:)

When I first made it, someone said it looked suitable for a "gay picnic"! LOLZ

It is made from ply but with three large lead inserts poured, glued and screwed in to add mass since it is smaller than many 301 plinths. I think it suits quite well the curvy 1950s style of the motor unit.

It is made from ply but with three large lead inserts poured, glued and screwed in to add mass since it is smaller than many 301 plinths. I think it suits quite well the curvy 1950s style of the motor unit.

So do I, fwiw I think the 301 looks best in a compact rounded edge plinth in a 50's colour, I like the 401 in a square edged plinth preferably with a real wood surround and top

It does have a certain Turbo Crossley look to it.. ;);)

Yes. About ten years ago I found two Garrard 301s heading for the skip and rescued them. I decided that they were too good for the SME 3009s they sported, but never had the funds to buy commensurate arms. When lockdown came I decided to try to build an arm better than my Ekos 2. To my surprise, I think I succeeded by a margin. I have applied for an international patent on the Sideways Uni-Pivot bearing. It's called SUPATRAC Blackbird. A google search will reveal more.

Having had a lot of success making my own tonearm (a copy of a Well Tempered 'golf ball' arm) for my modified Lenco I really enjoyed reading the reviews and info out there about your SUPATRAC design. The simplicity of your concept has translated really well into a very nicely finished end product. I'd be really interested to hear about the journey you went on to land on the final design, and what you might have tried / rejected on the way. Are you happy to elaborate or share some more details?

Having had a lot of success making my own tonearm (a copy of a Well Tempered 'golf ball' arm) for my modified Lenco I really enjoyed reading the reviews and info out there about your SUPATRAC design. The simplicity of your concept has translated really well into a very nicely finished end product. I'd be really interested to hear about the journey you went on to land on the final design, and what you might have tried / rejected on the way. Are you happy to elaborate or share some more details?

Yes - I'll be happy to answer this on the above thread which started back in September 2020: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/ekos-killer-price.245983/page-16

I've got a temporary audio solution in my weekend place now, just using bits that were easily to hand and didn't involve me raking about in the loft:

171831630.5XeYxM0C.hifi01.jpg

Despite the speaker placement it sounds ok - certainly better than the Echo dot I'd been using previously.

Not sure yet what'll be going in that room long term as I suspect SWMBO will not regard my spare Naim active set-up as being living room friendly - I suspect that'll have to go into the studio. The Onix DNA-45 might stay although whenever I've had that in system previously it's not lasted long and been replaced with something with better ergonomics - especially with a useable remote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back