advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does 'Shrink' refer to your profession or your appraoch to building hifi systems?

I like your taste in MCM furniture but wish you'd move that lovely sideboard so that the fireplace can be a central feature of the room.

How's this for ya:

eWXUQq0l.jpg

aNfQq4ll.jpg

Yeah a near total change bar the speaker and cables:

System:
Speakers: (DIY) VOLT BM228.8 / ScanSpeak D2905/990000

I may be wrong, but aren't the speakers going to change very soon as well? ;)

That leaves cables and speaker stands as the only remaining items from last year's system! I remember the TV and cabinet even changed recently!

I see what you mean about the fireplace. Have you thought about removing it and putting some more nice mid-century furniture there? Or rip out the mantle and insert and put a minimal surround? :)

Sadly due to covid, this is a rental... so no such joy! I sold my house just before covid and under the current restrictions, buying again was a nightmare, so i decided to chill and rent for a while.

^^^^^^^^
Just looking at your system, which looks mighty fine by the way, could you tell me which box is the pre amp, I can see the two silver boxes on the 2nd shelf, one I assume is the ICE amp the other?
Before reading your kit list and looking at the photo I was intrigued by the tt, which looks fab from that angle.
Thanks! Here's a better view of the amp (left) and preamp (right):

image0-2.jpg

The amp is from a kit I assembled myself using an ICE module I bought off eBay. The preamp is also a kit, but I bought it pre-assembled. It's tidy inside and looks to have some quality parts (ALPS blue for volume, decent-looking caps and such). For what I paid – around $175US + another $50 shipping – I don't think I could have even bought parts for that amount. As mentioned, the included tubes were awful – noisy and microphonic like crazy. But another $80 for a new set of JJs and silicone dampers and I am very pleased. It was never meant to be my last preamp, just my first tube preamp. Looking forward to living with it for awhile.

image2.jpg
image0-3.jpg

@kasperhauser that looks like a neat system- very keen on the preamp aesthetics- bbc radiophonic orchestra vibes!

@Cereal Killer - the Vitus stuff came and went very quickly..... did you find it lacking in any particular way? Never heard any Vitus personally and always wondered....

How's this for ya:

eWXUQq0l.jpg

aNfQq4ll.jpg
Personally I think that is a whole lot better. OK so the fire place could be nicer but that room looks a ton better without the sideboard there. Don't get me wrong I love the side board. I'm guessing you didn't rearrange your living room just because I suggested it (please god tell me you didn't!) :D

Sadly due to covid, this is a rental... so no such joy! I sold my house just before covid and under the current restrictions, buying again was a nightmare, so i decided to chill and rent for a while.
Just read this - I bought a place in March last year and moved in October. It's still possible to move house but some of the logistics take a lot longer because of the backlog and because there's so much house buying activity going on (ironically, soon as the lock down became real everyone realised how much they enjoy working from home so raced to move out of London and into the provincials! The stamp duty holiday turned the rush into a bun fight) Getting surveys and conveyancing is the logistical headache as waiting times have increased exponentially.

I would say, considerably better. It a complete league or two above the Audionet and Vitus pre/power I had.
I was worried my DIY speakers might show a limiting factor but they are sounds totally amazing and step up the mark with ease.

you’re a bit of a box-swapper aren’t you dear. Everyone thing you buy is world class and the best possible, until the next one o_O

Personally I think that is a whole lot better. OK so the fire place could be nicer but that room looks a ton better without the sideboard there. Don't get me wrong I love the side board. I'm guessing you didn't rearrange your living room just because I suggested it (please god tell me you didn't!) :D

no the sideboard was always going as I’m leaving here in a few months and will need to consolidate for a while. I wasn’t hugely attached to it as it wasn’t my “dream sideboard”.

Also without a need to hold up a bunch of kit, it was a tad redundant

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back