advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having said not a month ago that I didn't envisage any changes to my system this year unless something unexpected happened financially something did happen financially that wasn't expected which freed up a bit of cash for these beauties.
20210211-130131.jpg
20210211-130011.jpg

Stirling Broadcast LS3/5A V2
It was a case of right place, right time & right price. Only had them 2 days but so far loving them.
TS

Finally got the S2 stands that fit (screw-on affair) my LS50 Wireless II's. Have them 2/3 filled with Atacama Atabites. Much of the remaining cable clutter will go away once I get my fiber connection up and running wirelessly. So a bit messy until then. These speakers will be either love or hate aesthetics-wise but I think they look amazing. Running Tidal Connect via the smartphone and a HDMI eARC to the telly (LG CX OLED) when watching movies etc. TT is the Technics SL-1500C (with Achromat and KABUSA silicone arm damper) with an EPC-U205CMK3 cartridge and Rothwell Rialto phonostage. I don't play LP's that often. Toying with the idea of a subwoofer. Preferably one that plays music well. Could be a REL T7i or perhaps the new KEF KC62 that looks interesting (but also expensive).

22.jpg

Nice system coming together. You can get a wireless adapter for the Sub. Also a Bluetooth AptX for the TT, really cut down on the cabling.

WiFi can introduce issues, so might be worth tidying up the Ethernet cabled solution!

Someone has to ask, what are the birds on the KEFs?

Having said not a month ago that I didn't envisage any changes to my system this year unless something unexpected happened financially something did happen financially that wasn't expected which freed up a bit of cash for these beauties.
20210211-130131.jpg
20210211-130011.jpg

It was a case of right place, right time & right price. Only had them 2 days but so far loving them.
TS

Very nice speakers Tony, I used to have a pair in some kind of fancy maple finish. They look very close to the wall though, I’ve got my Falcons over a metre into the room and they sound much better in the midrange like this.

20210211-130131.jpg
20210211-130011.jpg

TS

Which amp are you using with the LS3/5a?

Finally got the S2 stands that fit (screw-on affair) my LS50 Wireless II's. Have them 2/3 filled with Atacama Atabites. Much of the remaining cable clutter will go away once I get my fiber connection up and running wirelessly. So a bit messy until then. These speakers will be either love or hate aesthetics-wise but I think they look amazing. Running Tidal Connect via the smartphone and a HDMI eARC to the telly (LG CX OLED) when watching movies etc. TT is the Technics SL-1500C (with Achromat and KABUSA silicone arm damper) with an EPC-U205CMK3 cartridge and Rothwell Rialto phonostage. I don't play LP's that often. Toying with the idea of a subwoofer. Preferably one that plays music well. Could be a REL T7i or perhaps the new KEF KC62 that looks interesting (but also expensive).

22.jpg

lovely room. I don’t think you’ll need much sub. I have a REL T3 in a room quite a bit larger and it’s great. I keep my eyes out on the local used marker for a second one (to do the stereo subs thing).

Very nice speakers Tony, I used to have a pair in some kind of fancy maple finish. They look very close to the wall though, I’ve got my Falcons over a metre into the room and they sound much better in the midrange like this.
They are currently about 320mm from the front wall, I do plan to experiment a bit with positioning but as you can see I am a bit restricted. Due to the bedroom door they are extremely vulnerable to being toppled when I enter & exit the bedroom (although I am teetotal these days which lessons the risk somewhat!)

Nice system coming together. You can get a wireless adapter for the Sub. Also a Bluetooth AptX for the TT, really cut down on the cabling.

Thanks. I'm OK with a little cable clutter and not ready for the bluetooth codec degradation. I'm OK with it for in-ear monitors. Wireless adapter for subs gives more freedom in placement but also slightly higher latency.

They are currently about 320mm from the front wall, I do plan to experiment a bit with positioning but as you can see I am a bit restricted. Due to the bedroom door they are extremely vulnerable to being toppled when I enter & exit the bedroom (although I am teetotal these days which lessons the risk somewhat!)

Ah I see, and yes, I had that sort of issue in my previous house with the bottom of the stairs restricting how far apart I could place the Harbeths/Falcons. Fortunately no such restrictions now.

As for teetotal - well done! - sometimes in recent times (before the last 4 weeks teetotal myself) I’ve come downstairs the next morning with almost no memory of the previous evening and seen an LP still on the platter, just hoping I’ve not broken my stylus. Really must behave.

WiFi can introduce issues, so might be worth tidying up the Ethernet cabled solution!

Someone has to ask, what are the birds on the KEFs?

I won't be able to place the new router this close to the speakers. But it's a small 2½ room apartment and I've bought a quality ASUS router that I will setup manually as the ones supplied by the internet providers are generally crap. I'll get it to work.

Birds are a gift from my mother and I don't know but will ask.

Which amp are you using with the LS3/5a?
I am using my Ion Obelisk 3, they sound superb on the end of this amp. Had a really enjoyable listening session today dusting off some vinyl I haven't listened to in a while.
It was 2 years ago that I sold my Harbeth P3 ESRs so direct comparisons are impossible but all the great things I remember about those speakers, the clarity, tonality, timbre of instruments & voices + the surprisingly extended bass are all there with these Stirlings as well.
TS

lovely room. I don’t think you’ll need much sub. I have a REL T3 in a room quite a bit larger and it’s great. I keep my eyes out on the local used marker for a second one (to do the stereo subs thing).

Thanks. I am actually not missing any low end with the LS50WII's but am still considering the sub for pure quality. To take some of the strain off the the little (excellent) KEF coax unit and get some useful output below 30Hz. Could be I could make do with a T5i.

Whitepaper for the KEF sub:

https://assets.kef.com/pdf_doc/KC62..._2MGAcXm1Z5OlmSd5yEbOKGmTkrIxHNEn3wPCIpx4aZA8

Thanks. I am actually not missing any low end with the LS50WII's but am still considering the sub for pure quality. To take some of the strain off the the little (excellent) KEF coax unit and get some useful output below 30Hz. Could be I could make do with a T5i.

Whitepaper for the KEF sub:

https://assets.kef.com/pdf_doc/KC62..._2MGAcXm1Z5OlmSd5yEbOKGmTkrIxHNEn3wPCIpx4aZA8

that KEF sub looks super cool

when I had passive LS50’s, I really couldn’t live with them without a sub and a powerful but smooth solid state amp. That could also have just been my room and with certain genres.

I hope to check out those new WII’s someday.

As a proper DL-103 groupie, I would be amiss not jumping onto this:

OTdehDy.jpg

I quite like the box, although what's inside is what counts:

EOkD513.jpeg

What is there is apparently a proper reproduction of the headshell the DL-103 was originally designed for (and sold with). They call it the DL-A110 now.

Already making the rounds:

xObypTe.jpeg

I had no output in the right channel and almost got a heart attack. After a bit of swapping around, turns out that one of my SME 3012's has two of the pins on the headshell receiving socket a bit recessed. Add to this that the pins on the DL-A110 headshell are protruding only a bit, there was not proper contact. Luckily there were two tonearms, so just swapped their positions.

The other 3012 features a vanilla DL-103 on a Sumiko HS-12 headshell, making this an adequate opportunity to ascertain how (if at all) this special DL-103 is different that the original one (identical tonearms, same drive, identical cables, same phono). Just need to make it sing a few hundred hours to reach a similar level like the other one.

Oh, and, my sample, although factory declared at 0.3mV, features a measured output of 0.38mV - Denon still supply individual test results on properly yellowed paper. :)

Yeah, the looks are quite the winner for me. I was going to order a second one, but the dealer refused (he is a good friend of mine who's known me for 20+ years and has saved me on a few occasions from impulse buys).

But I love that headshell. And the build is impeccable.

As for teetotal - well done! - sometimes in recent times (before the last 4 weeks teetotal myself) I’ve come downstairs the next morning with almost no memory of the previous evening and seen an LP still on the platter, just hoping I’ve not broken my stylus. Really must behave.

Well done to you, too! I went dry for seven weeks after Christmas (but who's counting?) and it was a good experience. I decided to let myself off the hook this weekend as I had to take a furlough day from work on Friday and Monday's a holiday here in the States -- but I didn't reckon with the fact that my alcohol tolerance is dramatically lower now! Last night was a bit of a blur. Luckily, I stopped spinning records on the early side. Thank heavens for Roon! When I opened my computer this morning I had GZA's "Liquid Swords" queued up. Seems apropos.

xObypTe.jpeg

I had no output in the right channel and almost got a heart attack. After a bit of swapping around, turns out that one of my SME 3012's has two of the pins on the headshell receiving socket a bit recessed. Add to this that the pins on the DL-A110 headshell are protruding only a bit, there was not proper contact. Luckily there were two tonearms, so just swapped their positions.

Nice! There can't be too many tonearms about that are heavy enough with that headshell only weighing in at 6g, but I'm guessing the 3012 is one of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back