Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

System Pics 2020

Discussion in 'audio' started by Cereal Killer, Dec 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

The office setup.

Bang&Olufsen Beovox CX100 speakers
    SMSL SA-50 amplifier
    Raspberry Pi 3 B+ /HifiBerry DAC+ Lite
    Sony MDR-7506 headphones

[​IMG]

This is my first desktop computer at home in over 10 years. I've only had a mac laptop at home and mac laptop + Linux desktop at work for a long time. The last Windows box I had ran Windows 7, which was pretty good. Windows 10 is shockingly terrible! It defaults to no password protection coming out of sleep/screensaver(?!). I have it configured to sleep after 30 minutes and it stays on all night more than half of time time because of a windows update service, or some driver or another. Various settings can be configured in 3 or more places. Why is there both a 'control panel' and a 'settings' UI? 'Night light' turn off in the morning nor turn on at night per the schedule (have to turn it on and off manually to get it to switch). If you try to install another browser it nags you repeatedly. What a heap.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    Lefty, MikeMA, Tarzan and 7 others like this.
  2. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

The HAL 9000 is a nice touch.

TimF, paulfromcamden and booja30 like this.
  3. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

Thanks. I had to remove his memory because he was acting up. Nowhere near as bad as Windows 10 though.

jimification, myrman and mikeyb like this.
  4. jamesd

jamesd pfm Member

my room ALWAYS sounds better when the christmas tree goes up

mikeyb likes this.
  5. mikeyb

mikeyb pfm Member

:)

6. jimification

jimification pfm Member

booja30: love those beovox's! How do they sound?

PS: Yes, Windows does feel like roughing it a bit when coming from a mac. It always surprises me that once you get a few layers deep in the interface the UI seems to suddenly go back to Win '95. (only IT people are supposed to be down here or what?)

7. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

They're pretty good for desktop speakers but I could never imagine using them in a living room hooked up to a big B&O receiver like they were probably often sold. I have a Beosystem 4500 that sounds really good with Beovox 'redline' RL2000 speakers. Those are relatively big by comparison, but can do a lot better job filling a room. I doubt they'd be up to many PFMer's standards for 'critical listening' but I think B&O did a good job making beautiful pieces that could work well for casual listening.

jimification likes this.
  8. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

@mikeyb Love that room and system.:)

9. Joel Burt

Joel Burt pfm Member

@booja30 i have Beovox S45.2 in storage ready for a larger office setup. Really great sounding and looking speakers, especially on the original stands.

10. mikeyb

mikeyb pfm Member

It used to be our built in garage, we converted it into a home cinema room, the project screen is still there and completely fills the back wall. I should post up the conversion thread from AVForums sometime, might be of interest to some.

Obviously can't use it with the tree in place but once that's away ..... ;)

Tarzan likes this.
  11. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

I love that series. There were a pair of larger ones similar to those for sale on PFM earlier this year. Good thing the seller wasn't posting them or I would have been all over them!

12. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Yes that would be cool.:)

13. Margin_walker

Margin_walker pfm Member

It seems I made my listening room too inviting and it has been turned into some sort of grotto by the rest of the family. Merry Christmas everyone

[​IMG]

14. barryb

barryb pfm Member

@Margin_walker Nice! How do you rate the TubeBox DS2? Always liked the look of them.

15. Margin_walker

Margin_walker pfm Member

It sounds good to me, but I have only used phono stages in integrated amps before,and it's definitely a big step up from those. I will admit to the aesthetics being one of the aspects that promoted me to choose it!

barryb likes this.
  16. stimpy

stimpy pfm Member

Tut tut!! Them Naughty Elves!!!

Merry Christmas all!!

barryb likes this.
  17. Rana

Rana pfm Member

New addition is an Audionet EPS version 1. Upgraded by an ex-Audionet engineer for the DNA 2.0 at Benedictus HiFi in Germany. It's showing a different shade in the photos which is a trick of the light. Behind each speaker are 10mm of cast-off plastic felt packing panels (!)....they work a treat, they really do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stevied, k90tour, Dinovector and 14 others like this.
  18. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

A bit of change here, inc a new rug.... all happened on the spur of a discussion :)

[​IMG]

Robby, Lefty, Brown Bottle and 9 others like this.
  19. jan tomczak

jan tomczak pfm Member

fantastic speakers!

Rana likes this.
  20. Darren

Darren All Business

OK.... You win the PFM Cosiest Room Prize for 2020. Straight out of a Evgeny Lushpin painting (in a good way) .

Margin_walker and booja30 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.