advertisement

System Pics 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mscaler now thrown into the mix

20201219-094712.jpg

Looks like box Tetris on there...

When the 282 arrives the Fraim will be rearranged, Tetris will be on the second shelf down from the top :D
282/300 was my fave Naim piece. Had a Qutest a while ago, ordered a Scaler to home demo but there were major delivery problems so I sold the Qutest and moved on, what’s the Scaler bring to the party for you?

282/300 was my fave Naim piece. Had a Qutest a while ago, ordered a Scaler to home demo but there were major delivery problems so I sold the Qutest and moved on, what’s the Scaler bring to the party for you?

Over the years many digital sources have passed through my setups the Qutest / Mscaler for me is the best digital setup I have heard. The Mscaler takes the digital feed from a £500 Node 2i and transforms the tunes into something else, I hate to use the word analogue with digital sources but you have to hear one to appreciate the engineering behind this device. Music has incredible depth and scale, tunes I'm familiar with are revealing so much more its like peeling back the layers.

I was aiming for an Auralic Sirius G2 but delays/COVID/chassis changes have made me look toward the Chord Dacs and M-Scaler or dCS. Probably going to move my Leo GX and Aries/Vega on next wee while and start again. Might well keep the Aries as it’s a really lovely bit of kit and is very slick to use. Think I need to try a Scaler at home.

End of year system.......
Naim all gone, now powered by Dynavector!
Money in the bank and the sound.... Wow!!
Z6fu2ha.jpg

I have a Simplex too, with the outboard PS. Love it. I rotate a number of cartridges as my mood dictates: 2M Black, Denon 103, and a Fidelity Research MC201. The phono stage is a Japanese SofTone (12AX7/MOSFET) and for the MCs, I use a Cinemags-based SUT. Mat is an Auditorium 23.

Over the years many digital sources have passed through my setups the Qutest / Mscaler for me is the best digital setup I have heard. The Mscaler takes the digital feed from a £500 Node 2i and transforms the tunes into something else, I hate to use the word analogue with digital sources but you have to hear one to appreciate the engineering behind this device. Music has incredible depth and scale, tunes I'm familiar with are revealing so much more its like peeling back the layers.
Can you use the dual data output of the scaler with the Qutest? The only way to do it with a Hugo 2 is bnc to phono converters then twin phono to stereo mini Jack cable into the Hugo2, urgh!

I was aiming for an Auralic Sirius G2 but delays/COVID/chassis changes have made me look toward the Chord Dacs and M-Scaler or dCS. Probably going to move my Leo GX and Aries/Vega on next wee while and start again. Might well keep the Aries as it’s a really lovely bit of kit and is very slick to use. Think I need to try a Scaler at home.
From my personal listening, Chord DAVE + mScaler and dCS are in the same area of excellence and I could easily live with either. I enjoyed several years with aChord DAC64/II.
I bought dCS because it is properly distributed in France and more particularly in the city I live in. When I moved up from Bartok to Rossini after approx one year I lost very little on the trade in.
I haven't tried the Chord stuff with Roon but Roon and dCS is powerfully convenient.

From my personal listening, Chord DAVE + mScaler and dCS are in the same area of excellence and I could easily live with either. I enjoyed several years with aChord DAC64/II.
I bought dCS because it is properly distributed in France and more particularly in the city I live in. When I moved up from Bartok to Rossini after approx one year I lost very little on the trade in.
I haven't tried the Chord stuff with Roon but Roon and dCS is powerfully convenient.
Just spotted a used Bartok so might trade the Leo for it, see how it stacks up against the Aries/Vega. Had some Chord DACs in the past but no dCS kit. I use ROON so it’ll be a fair bake off. Also gonna give a Luxman amp a go.

Just spotted a used Bartok so might trade the Leo for it, see how it stacks up against the Aries/Vega. Had some Chord DACs in the past but no dCS kit. I use ROON so it’ll be a fair bake off. Also gonna give a Luxman amp a go.

If you get the Bartok, the good news it can be improved by adding a Rossini clock :) It's a never ending journey Amber, as long as your bank balance holds out ;)

@Rosie -- the Beocords seem to be pretty cheap on this side of the pond -- I might get one! What model would you suggest?

This one ! The beocard 5000 with HX pro . The cassette is clamped tight in place while the HX Pro made a huge improvment to recordings IMHO . From memory you did not need HX Pro on the playback machine while still getting the full benefit . My tapes played back on my and my then girlfriends Sony Walkman were great and my LP12 Naim 42 110 Beocord 500 tape deck was very popular with other friends who would turn up at my front door with a C90 and a daft grin " Martin … can you tape XYZ for me " To open it you just pressed one end of the smoth front pannel and the motor driven tray would slide out revealing the tape deck soooo cool .

@Rosie, those Beocords really are great; I have two! B&O also invented HX PRO!

sBABYQU.jpg
Yes Joel ,
Now I remember , it was over 35 years ago . B&O did invent HX-Pro and this was one of the first machines to have it . Rattling a few of my gray cells , there was a turntble , a reciver , a CD player and this tape deck . The CD player was not quite as cool , a section of the front panel flipped down and the philips CD tray slid out so there was a vertical joint line in the front panel . The tape deck was the money shot .

Rubbish picture, it was dark and pointing into the light, the lamp is really low/warm but it's obviously messed up the photo.

Nothing changed recently, most of the system in shot bar the other La Scala and the phono stage lives in the cupboard. Need to get the amp looked at as I'm still getting the high pitched whistle intermittently, but it will have to wait. Also considering playing with another arm at some point next year, still making a short list.

PT Anni // Mission 774 // ZYX R50
RSL Phono Stage
WD KEL84
Sonos thingy into Topping D50s DAC
Klipsch La Scala

Rubbish picture, it was dark and pointing into the light, the lamp is really low/warm but it's obviously messed up the photo.

Nothing changed recently, most of the system in shot bar the other La Scala and the phono stage lives in the cupboard. Need to get the amp looked at as I'm still getting the high pitched whistle intermittently, but it will have to wait. Also considering playing with another arm at some point next year, still making a short list.

PT Anni // Mission 774 // ZYX R50
RSL Phono Stage
WD KEL84
Sonos thingy into Topping D50s DAC
Klipsch La Scala

I'd like to hear La Scalas at some point, might get a chance to go to a HiFi show or 2 after this COVID crap gets put to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back