advertisement

System pics 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a nice solid-looking piece of shelving furniture. I have a similar 3 shelf item but I used 18mm ply and the wall props up one end. I was pleasantly surprised that everything sounded just as good as it was on separate Target tables, wall shelves and speaker stands (used for monoblocs). Main reason for building it was to get behind everything to access I/Cs and the like.

Hi Mike, thanks - it's a piece I comissioned from a local wooworker, the wood is Australian Blackwood. Yes, the extra space for components really makes set-up a pleasure instead of a (sometimes painful) chore!

Here's a snapshot of the isolation platforms while they were being finished. I like it that the grain matchews the shelves:

thumbnail_IMG_6049 by Martin Johnson, on Flickr

989s in a lovely room. I bet they sound rather good in there. I used to have a pair in a room of a similar size and they sounded excellent. I moved on to 2905s which are also very nice sounding, albeit very similar in size to Chris’s 989s.

Cheers...Dave
I nearly part-exchanged my 57s for a pair of mint 989s earlier in the week, sight unseen (but via a local dealer). Procrastinated a bit and someone else got them. Looking at those, I suspect I may have dodged a marital bullet..... :D

I nearly part-exchanged my 57s for a pair of mint 989s earlier in the week, sight unseen (but via a local dealer). Procrastinated a bit and someone else got them. Looking at those, I suspect I may have dodged a marital bullet..... :D

They also need lifting up on stands, IMO....

Hey up, how's things.....good I hope?

Well, I went from 57's/63s/989s....then had a funny turn and tried some Tannoy Turnberrys but couldn't stop from putting the 63s back in, flogged the Tannoys which just didn't do it for me in my room, bought the 2905s, kept the 63s and only sold them 3 months ago to a chap in Czech (63s don't travel? Behave yourselves).

Mostly driven by a Quad Classic integrated, followed by the almost famous JVC AXZ1010tn amp (which is now in a cupboard) then more recently by the current Devialet LE120 which does most things anybody might want and doesn't sound too bad at all.

Fine thanks Dave, no wonder I can't keep up with your system.

In a nutshell how do the 2905's compare to the 989's ? the 2905's have the massively reinforced frame and mil-spec components in the PCB's.

Have you seen Quad are bringing out an 8 panel ESL !!

‘Bout time you started drinking some. We do not know your age.....but even in middle age I need to remind you that you cannot take it with you and it will not rise in value. Nor does it improve with age in the bottle!

System now Quad based.

Nowhere for the magnums now!

42970012571_97c8840d82_z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back