advertisement

System Pics 2016 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0032_zpsbq0o5vrl.jpg

Very, very, very nice system :)

My VPI TNT turntable just got a makeover recently. By upgrading its original motor to the VPI single flywheel 300 RPM motor. The sound has improved quite a bit in terms of its overall focus, its bottom end and top end articulation.

gi.mpl

Many changes over the years but now settled on the below setup

Naim UQv1 192, NAP100, AE301, Custom Design RS303 stands, NAC A5, Michell GyroDec SE with DV-20x2, Heed Phono stage

DSC_0394_zpss7foy4yg.jpg

DSC_0393_zpss2yvgx9l.jpg

Couple of tough acts to follow up the page but you did just fine. Very elegant system. The Gyro-Dec looks perfect in this context.

Thanks ClayB, i was in two minds about posting on this page with the above setups all very nice but what the hell my system sounds great and has perfect synergy in the room ;)

Gorgeous room and system HiFiman - fwiw I prefer the look of both of yours to mine :)

28443823644_44651f2e87_b.jpg

A couple of additions to the "pfm Record Shop" system (the back bedroom!); new Marantz SA-8005 SACD player and the lovely Sony ST-5150 I bagged in the local auction house for a few quid (see thread here). Set up for nearfield listening (see bean bag!) and sounding lovely. The other components are an Audio Synthesis PAS-02 stepped attenuator passive, fully restored Leak Stereo 20 and JR149s. Spare Quad 303 sitting on the subs bench (I now have two of them!).

How can you bear to have all those leaning LPs ... ?

It's no issue with such small numbers, it's an Ikea Expidit so just 12" cubes. They get moved around a lot as I add/find/remove stuff so certainly no issue with warpage or anything. I've actually got loads that need shelving so a lot of that lean will be gone shortly. I wish I'd done something similar with my own collection as I've just got alcove-wide spans which makes it very hard removing stuff and needs to be kept very precisely loaded as a lean like the one above would be carrying a lot of weight.

It's no issue with such small numbers, it's an Ikea Expidit so just 12" cubes. They get moved around a lot as I add/find/remove stuff so certainly no issue with warpage or anything. I've actually got loads that need shelving so a lot of that lean will be gone shortly. I wish I'd done something similar with my own collection as I've just got alcove-wide spans which makes it very hard removing stuff and needs to be kept very precisely loaded as a lean like the one above would be carrying a lot of weight.

Tony

May I ask what that lovely white and flexible speaker cable is that you're using?

Thanks
Clay

May I ask what that lovely white and flexible speaker cable is that you're using?

It's Chord Rumour. I selected it because it is the "best" cable I could find that will actually fit through the little rubber grommets on the rear of the 149's crossover bases. It is also fairly thick strands and silver-plated or something (apparently shouldn't tarnish), so was suitable to take directly to the screw terminals on the crossovers. Just OCD neatness on my behalf really. I'm not convinced they sound any better than the 1.5mm Van Damme Blue stuff, though I suspect they are a bit brighter (not necessarily a good thing).

Can I just say, having been immersed in the pfm beanbag for a few hours on several occasions - TonyL's pair of JR149s driven with, well most things I've heard so far, are just wonderful. Giggle-out-loud cognitive disconnect on having immense soundstage ( I hate the word, but it'll do) refined in both sound & rhythm - that starts about 6" in front of one's nose and extends beyond sense of peripheral vision. I could live with these and love them.

(I have an idea for a very silly thing to try when I next collect my subscription pile, Tony...)

Hi Tony
I recently bought some target R4 for my Kans in the second system. Sorry for the geeky question but do you know what spike size you are using
Thanks

Hi Tony
I recently bought some target R4 for my Kans in the second system. Sorry for the geeky question but do you know what spike size you are using
Thanks

Hi Dev, they are standard 8mm. Stunning stands, I've no idea how Kans will sound on them though as they are the opposite design extreme. I suspect very different as I'm sure the light-weight and rather resonant Kan stands added a signature.

It's Chord Rumour. I selected it because it is the "best" cable I could find that will actually fit through the little rubber grommets on the rear of the 149's crossover bases. It is also fairly thick strands and silver-plated or something (apparently shouldn't tarnish), so was suitable to take directly to the screw terminals on the crossovers. Just OCD neatness on my behalf really. I'm not convinced they sound any better than the 1.5mm Van Damme Blue stuff, though I suspect they are a bit brighter (not necessarily a good thing).

Thank you. Much appreciated. I've been wrestling with NACA 5 and Transparent in various setups and been thinking I'm getting too old for this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back