advertisement

System Pics 2016 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmmmm..... want :)

I just got my L700s and I'd love to hear what they could do on the end of the KGSSHV. That said, one of the things that attracted me to the '700s is that they are allegedly designed to work optimally with the less exotic amps, and the improvements moving up with amps may be modest. In any case, I'm loving my setup and may get around to taking a picture sometime (once I dust...)

You're welcome to visit anytime John, as per our PMs. The L700s sound fabulous!

I once (briefly) ran ES14s with a 12 watt Audio Note Oto SE. The combination was a very sweet sounding one and played at reasonable volume levels. I wish I still had both the amp and speakers now, but sadly they are long gone.

The valve amps I've enjoyed the most have all been EL84 based - Stereo 20, AN too, etc...

Would like to try one with the ES14s, I love what they do. The nait doesn't seem to struggle any, but then like I said, I don't listen loud at all.

Yep, they are a good match with tubes but still need wattage because they are not that efficient and the high impedance makes them seem even less efficient - so generally this means quite powerful valve amps work best.

Indeed, but (just a slight correction) it's voltage rather than wattage they need to go loud. Their relatively high impedance load means they won't consume many watts even at the highish voltage swing they can handle. IOW they will work well with your average valve amp because valve amps are generally happy to swing voltage but less happy delivering current.

For the same reason the whole 'you need a 250 to drive ES14s' is nonsense because a 250 is actually only marginally more able to swing voltage than (for example) a 110. And given that a 110 is a better sounding amp than a 250 you'd be going backwards by upgrading to a 250. But I digress ;)

Mr Tibbs

Ah, fair enough :).

A minor point only - you have it right really :)

Best post a pic since it's the pics thread. Autumn twilight captured while EC does Backless on the '12;

30033454083_e976c2ac06_z.jpg

Mr Tibbs

I have recently just got back into vinyl, having been absent for the last 10 years.. I recently bought and restored a classic pair of Yamaha NS1000XW speakers, and fell in love, then found a C-2 and B-2 V-FET pre and power amp which made them sound amazing. So far so good, but was listening digitally so thought let's hear what Yamaha were really doing in the late 70's so went in the hunt for a turntable..

Didn't have space for a GT, so the YP range fell into my sights and after a year or so, found a YP-D9 in Holland. I have it setup and wow wow wow, what a revelation. Playing Jean Michal Jarre Oxygene 1977 Polydor I have sounds so far left and right on my soundstage they are freaking me out. The Yamaha MC-5 Beryllium cartridge is creating sounds behind me, and it's a totally 3D soundscape that envelops rather than a flat plane of music that I was hearing digitally. I've been busy buying vinyl since and absolutely loving it. Blown away.

I would love all the equipment out on a lovely stand, but it is all tucked away in a cupboard as I have three kids under five. The space is fitted with a temperature controlled fan setup to stop things overheating, and a harmony remote, so suits the family house perfectly.

MC-5 MC cartridge

C-2 and B-2 below

Also have an Audiolab 8200 ap AV processor and 8200p power amp for surround sound duties - at the top here..

Very nice! I especially like the C-2/B-2, very tasty, but it is all great stuff. Glad you are enjoying the vinyl too! Thanks for sharing!

Electronics

Source: PC (Windows 10 Pro + foobar2000) -> Intona USB Isolator -> TeddyPardo U2S -> Naim DAC
Amplifier: Naim SuperNait2 + Naim HiCap DR
Speakers: ATC SCM40 MkII

Cables

Power: Wireworld Matrix v2 + Naim
USB: Chord Silver Plus
Interconnect: Tellurium Q Black DIN-DIN
Speakers: Naim NAC A5

Misc

Acoustic panels: Ecophon Master SQ
Spikeshoes: Naim Fraim Chips
Rack: Norstone Esse + Oyaide spikes and spikeshoes
TV: Samsung UE50KU6075XXE

IMG_0124_1024.jpg

Electronics

Source: PC (Windows 10 Pro + foobar2000) -> Intona USB Isolator -> TeddyPardo U2S -> Naim DAC
Amplifier: Naim SuperNait2 + Naim HiCap DR
Speakers: ATC SCM40 MkII

Cables

Power: Wireworld Matrix v2 + Naim
USB: Chord Silver Plus
Interconnect: Tellurium Q Black DIN-DIN
Speakers: Naim NAC A5

Misc

Acoustic panels: Ecophon Master SQ
Spikeshoes: Naim Fraim Chips
Rack: Norstone Esse + Oyaide spikes and spikeshoes
TV: Samsung UE50KU6075XXE

IMG_0124_1024.jpg

Nice system Patu. How well does the SNait drive the ATCs? I did consider them before going the Harbeth route, but thought I'd need more power.

Picked up some new speakers today, Living Voice OBXR and are very serious challengers to the Audio Notes.

Also just got a Remton tube phono stage which sounds very good, still not sure if it betters the Whest but is much more engaging than the clinical whest

IMG_0586 by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back