advertisement

System Pics 2016 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you.

Shelf lighting was very, very expensive. £9.99 from Screwfix. Lamps on top were even cheaper. About three quid the pair; made by me from oak off cuts.

Oak shelves were also made by me. Over two inches thick :)

Amps are Usher R1.5 power amps. Two running bridged. Unfortunately they're not the same colour. Best amps I've ever heard by a long way.

Ah ok - nice work on the woodwork :cool:

Congrats!

It is looking great and should sound great too.

Thanks. I'm in transition ATM but the sound is lovely. The mainstays of my system remain. I'd never, ever get rid of my big and beautiful Usher speakers and my Mains regenerator is possibly the best money I've ever spent on Hifi.

Yuri, nice pics as always! The Aqua gear in particular looks-wise certainly does it for me, would love to listen to them!

Yuri, nice pics as always! The Aqua gear in particular looks-wise certainly does it for me, would love to listen to them!

Thanks Tim. The Aqua gear is very remarkable, especially DAC, if you have a chance to listen to, I would definitely recommend.

The price, of course, is a bit crazy.

Amps are Usher R1.5 power amps. Two running bridged. Unfortunately they're not the same colour. Best amps I've ever heard by a long way.

The the faces of these amps appear to be direct cribs of Threshold/Nelson Pass design, are the circuits derived from that source too?

Apologies for naff pics, and sun faded furniture(!) That IKEA corras was bought when God was a lad.

35jduvt.jpg

2s7cq4j.jpg

Rega P9/Apheta
Heed Quasar + Obelisk PSU
Nait 2
ES14s

Digital is just a gigabyte brix running JRiver on W8 with a dragonfly USB DAC.

I've replaced my Stax energisers with a KGSSHV Mini; it arrived yesterday and the crazy grin hasn't left my face. It's so much better - in every way - than the SRM006T imo:)
Mmmmmm..... want :)

I just got my L700s and I'd love to hear what they could do on the end of the KGSSHV. That said, one of the things that attracted me to the '700s is that they are allegedly designed to work optimally with the less exotic amps, and the improvements moving up with amps may be modest. In any case, I'm loving my setup and may get around to taking a picture sometime (once I dust...)

What a great simple system. The rest of us should be so lucky.

Can the Nait 2 drive the ES14? I have mine driving Naim IBLs without problems.

Apologies for naff pics, and sun faded furniture(!) That IKEA corras was bought when God was a lad.

Rega P9/Apheta
Heed Quasar + Obelisk PSU
Nait 2
ES14s

Digital is just a gigabyte brix running JRiver on W8 with a dragonfly USB DAC.

What a great simple system. The rest of us should be so lucky.

Can the Nait 2 drive the ES14? I have mine driving Naim IBLs without problems.

The volume knob barely gets off the min stop, I've never been a head banger. Drives them fine IMO.

The problem with ES14's is that they aren't a difficult load ,in the traditional low impedance sense, because over most of their range they are a very high impedance. However, whilst this makes them easy to drive they aren't very efficient and the high impedance doesn't encourage the amp to dump current into them.

Still a great speaker :).

Does that mean they'd be a pretty good match with tubes? Most tube amps love high impedance speakers.

Yep, they are a good match with tubes but still need wattage because they are not that efficient and the high impedance makes them seem even less efficient - so generally this means quite powerful valve amps work best.

I once (briefly) ran ES14s with a 12 watt Audio Note Oto SE. The combination was a very sweet sounding one and played at reasonable volume levels. I wish I still had both the amp and speakers now, but sadly they are long gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back