advertisement

System Pics 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have one of these yngve-ekstrom-lamino-chair-ottoman, about 50 years old, in battered black leather. Same basic idea as a lot of Aalto's furniture (thin strips of wood bent to a clever shape and glued) but IMHO a superior execution: very light, probably quite cheap to make back in the 50s, efficient use of materials and amazingly comfortable. Good height for listening and the shape of the high back is just right.

Also: one of these Roset Zen chair & otto has served as a listening chair for many years (in yellow to provide a slightly brighter sound) in a room where I had so sit in front of a wide window: the high and wide back helped to control some of the reflections.

After six years, I changed something...

15936326864_a065be9bbb_c.jpg

Out: Little Fostex DAC & huge Victor CDP
In: Large Fostex DAC & little Oppo DVD/CDP

All sounds fine, of course. The reason for the change is that we will be remodelling the flat in a couple of months, and I want to consolidate everything except the TT into the table under the TV (a custom table is being made for this very purpose), and I want to be able to control volume and source via R/C - how very new-fangled of me.
Amp will probably change at some point, too. I can imagine big blue VUs, black glass front panels with chunky switches and beefy power-supplies...

I have been lurking for a while so new additions are a good reason to start posting again...

dde580c084b80af06e518d4249e37af0_zps0d5b5536.jpg

Terrible picture but I'm half way through this years upgrade plan.

Just added Harbeth Monitor 30 on skylan stands, Nordost Blue Heaven, Icon Audio MB150 valve mono blocks.

Currently auditioning pre and dac so Naim Qute 2 acting as both.

Hidden in the temporary cabinet are Technics Digital Reference Transport, various NAS and all the cables I need to stream wirelessly...

Pity 99% of audio equipment hasn't an ounce (or gram) of design style. I would have said that B and O are about the only company with a serious design heritage. Can't think of any other firm with continuity of fine design. Pity as we have to look at the stuff. And so do the people we live with.

I would disagree. I think Linn Klimax Kontrol and Solo 500's are stunning. The Devialet range also looks wonderful.

I have been lurking for a while so new additions are a good reason to start posting again...

dde580c084b80af06e518d4249e37af0_zps0d5b5536.jpg

Terrible picture but I'm half way through this years upgrade plan.

Just added Harbeth Monitor 30 on skylan stands, Nordost Blue Heaven, Icon Audio MB150 valve mono blocks.

Currently auditioning pre and dac so Naim Qute 2 acting as both.

Hidden in the temporary cabinet are Technics Digital Reference Transport, various NAS and all the cables I need to stream wirelessly...
Where has the TT gone?

So here are my pics. Alas I barely play the 'big' hifi whilst I am creating the listening room in the 'doer-upper' property we moved into in Devon last year. As you will see from the interior shots, I need carpet... seats...ceiling...windows... quite a bit!

But I do have a dedicated electricity supply, at least, and the view makes up for it :)
IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

IMG_1605.jpg

The house looking all remedial....
IMG_1384.jpg

The inside of a Tron preamp. Well made? I think so...
IMG_1602.jpg

Wow, nice space for a lot of things, but music especially Peter! And yes, the Tron does look a bit nice there. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a lot of work but I am sure well worth the efforts.

LP12 on a high mass table is a no-no...
I was thinking of a wall shelf, something like the Quadraspire one with bronze spikes after the Bristol show demo (which was interesting).

The floor is suspended wood over a cellar and walking around on it causes the needle to skip. So I prefer the idea of a wall shelf because I can't see even the most excellent of racks - low or high mass - coping with the bob and weave as I move around, but the walls are lathe-and-plaster over stone and I'm not sure if that'd attach properly.

ideas welcome...

I was thinking of a wall shelf, something like the Quadraspire one with bronze spikes after the Bristol show demo (which was interesting).

The floor is suspended wood over a cellar and walking around on it causes the needle to skip. So I prefer the idea of a wall shelf because I can't see even the most excellent of racks - low or high mass - coping with the bob and weave as I move around, but the walls are lathe-and-plaster over stone and I'm not sure if that'd attach properly.

ideas welcome...

Look at using Rawl Bolts to mount a wall shelf. You can set them into the stone then, if the stock bolts aren't long enough, use threaded rod.

Several years ago I saw an install where the guy used Rawl Bolts and threaded through a lath'n'plaster wall into stone. His plaster wasn't in great shape, so he torqued down the nuts directly onto the Rawl Bolt "seats" set into the stone (so they gripped properly). He then used spacers on the threaded rod, and a 3/4" plywood backing board, and the wall shelf was attached to the board.

So the result was that the plywood board was held about an inch off the surface of the plaster and, effectively, mounted directly to the stone wall, without the lath'n'plaster being involved at all.

I'm not sure I explained that too well, but hopefully you get the idea.

In that install, he'd covered the plywood with the same wallpaper as the walls, and painted the same colour, so it looked pretty decent.

The only thing I would do differently would be to add some vibration absorption to the backing board.

hi Peter,
These days with so many people fitting big TVs to the wall , its much more easy to get trick bolts, rods and resins etc for the job . Good builders merchant like Jewsons should be able to help .
I took in the Quadraspire dem at Bristol and intend to get bronze spikes for my Q4 shelf. Bit of a game changer that one. The more recent Evo Q4 shelf is also worth doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back