advertisement

System Pics 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Added on a classic Lenco 76s recently and had Teddy modify the Phn1 for dual phono inputs :)

24exn2o.jpg

Here's where things currently stand. Just waiting for the release of TwoTwo Sub2 which I have on pre-order to replace the Sub1 you see in the picture.

16698215279_3b736e10ea_b.jpg

Lefty

Thanks Simon, I did try having the sub off to one side when I first got it. Back then I was crossing over at too high a frequency (80Hz) and so could localise its position. I placed it dead centre to get around this problem.

Since then I have lowered the crossover frequency (now 50Hz) and increased the steepness of the crossover to 18dB/Octave. These are the lowest and steepest settings available. Since making these adjustments I haven't tried it off to one side again. I know theory says I shouldn't be able to localise it when it's suitably adjusted, but i just don't feel comfortable having it off to one side. Perhaps I should try it again....

Lefty

Here's where things currently stand. Just waiting for the release of TwoTwo Sub2 which I have on pre-order to replace the Sub1 you see in the picture.

Lefty

Looking good. If there's no need to move the sub from centre I'd just leave it there and relax...

Or put Mezzanine on and get ready to catch the plant pot!

Very nice setup - love the all black look too. Bet it sounds spot on with the ATCs :cool:

Looking good. If there's no need to move the sub from centre I'd just leave it there and relax...

Or put Mezzanine on and get ready to catch the plant pot!

Haha - the sub is definitely capable of that if you turn it up. The plant pot is removed for listening sessions for that very reason!

Lefty

Lefty
Nice system. :cool:

That subwoofer is in the wrong place though. It looks like it is exactly halfway between the two walls. Try moving it a few inches to the left or right and see how it sounds. :)

One thing I have noticed that I find a tad strange with several of people's set ups is this. Huge reflective surface, ie a window, between the speakers and speakers firing down the "long axis" rather than across the "short axis". I understand that, for the "preservation of domestic harmony" at times, one has to make compromises, just seems a bit strange that with so much effort taken elsewhere, those two issues are often the ones least considered.

Also, sub placement. Surely people know the oldest trick of all? Namely, you place the sub where you normally listen, whack on something with decent bass in it. On your hands and knees, crawl round the room and wherever the bass is the least prominent is where you site the sub? For 5 years I had my sub sitting 3 feet outside my speakers to the right, level with them. It integrated perfectly with no skewing of the soundstage at all.

...and speakers firing down the "long axis" rather than across the "short axis"...

My speakers currently fire across the short axis of my room. However, I have been professionally advised by the supplier of my acoustic treatments that this causes more LF response problems (peaks & dips) than positioning the speakers to fire down the long axis. I have not tested this advice because I personally like as much distance between the speakers and side walls as possible.

With problems arising from room nodes it doesnt matter where the source is located, the length of bass waves considerably, a null at one frequency will be a point of reinforcement at another.
Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back