advertisement

System Pics 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advice. Now SWMBO must be convinced that a wall shelf is acceptable; to date the veto has been applied :(

I thought I would take a better picture of the listening room as the other doesn't give the scale. It'll be a challenge to get a great sound from it, I think, given the shape. Redecoration planned for Q3 this year.

IMG_1818_2.jpg

This is it from the outside, stonemasons at work fixing new crenellations in place

DSC04978.jpg

Our house has cellular block walls, lined with plaster board panels, so fixing anything heavy to the plaster board panels is a recipe for disaster.

Instead, I make sure that the wall fixings go straight through the plaster board and anchor properly into the much stronger and stiffer structural cell blocks.

Fischer bolts (or Rawl Bolts as they are sometimes known) are the ones that I have found to be the fixing for the job. I use these for the Quadraspire turntable wall shelf and also for the PMC DB1i loudspeaker wall brackets.

If you search for "Fischer FSA Sleeve Anchors" on the Screwfix website (or other, similar websites), then you will see them in a variety of diameters & lengths. I went down to my local B&Q to look at a range of them before selecting the right size.

You will also need some metal tube that acts as a close fitting sleeve that slides over the outside of the bolt's threaded rod. It is important to cut the metal tube to the right length, so that it protrudes just proud of the plasterboard when the bolts are installed and tightened up. This allows you to really tighten up the Fischer bolts, without relying on the plasterboard for any structural support.

This approach will really anchor your turntable support to the main body of the wall, completely bypassing the flimsy, flappy plasterboard.

Hope this helps, FT

I thought I would take a better picture of the listening room as the other doesn't give the scale. It'll be a challenge to get a great sound from it, I think, given the shape. Redecoration planned for Q3 this year.

IMG_1818_2.jpg

This is it from the outside, stonemasons at work fixing new crenellations in place

DSC04978.jpg

Looks really nice mate

What have you had installed, Peter?

Is a Target wall shelf too 'umble? I have an ad. here currently. Had an LP12 on it in the eighties (+ Roksan, + Orbe)
I had a Target shelf in a previous house and it worked well. But black, functional furniture is not acceptable to SWMBO I'm afraid. Far better to conceal all the 'ugly boxes' away, hence the AV cabinet with power amp and turntable up top.... I hope that, with pleading and/or presents, I can get an 'OK attractive' shelf like the Quadraspire, or the HiFiRacks one, past the censors :)

I had a Target shelf in a previous house and it worked well. But black, functional furniture is not acceptable to SWMBO I'm afraid. Far better to conceal all the 'ugly boxes' away, hence the AV cabinet with power amp and turntable up top.... I hope that, with pleading and/or presents, I can get an 'OK attractive' shelf like the Quadraspire, or the HiFiRacks one, past the censors :)

The IsoBlue shelf is nice looking:
wall-1.jpg

wall-3.jpg

but the mounting might be a challenge.....

What have you had installed, Peter?
Forgot to answer this. A separate submain from the meter at the back of the house to a dedicated hifi CU 20m away in the cellar with 25mm2 cabling then 10mm radials to individual sockets in the listening room above, most of which are silver plated. There is also an earth spike in the cellar.

With a half marathon coming up later in the year, I decided to upgrade the running machine entertainment system to a Samsung UE32H5500 and a Q Acoustics M4 sound bar. The Samsung TV is amazing for the price providing all the music and video streaming options you could want for £269. The M4 sound bar I heard at the Bristol show and was amazed it gave very little away to a "proper" system. This is system number 4 in my house and probably the one that will get the most use in the coming months!

DSCF4897_zpsrchn8ewd.jpg

It's bamboo, only sturdy once it's filled with records, to be honest.

It was made by a place in LA, called Boom. I think they are out of business now.

Forgot to answer this. A separate submain from the meter at the back of the house to a dedicated hifi CU 20m away in the cellar with 25mm2 cabling then 10mm radials to individual sockets in the listening room above, most of which are silver plated. There is also an earth spike in the cellar.

Gosh ! 20 metre tail ! Interesting that you've done it that way, as a member of this parish used that tail (25mm2) to a c.u. in his hifi room, then took individual cables to each of his pieces of kit, using 32 amp RCBOs in his c.u. for each. I think he hard-wired mains leads but whether sockets or not, it's the same format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back