advertisement

System Pics 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

My parents have the same chair, it's lovely. A BIG favorite with our cat when he stays with them... :)

And to stay in the chair department,
I've been using the Eames chair for something like 35 years. Everyone finds it very comfy, including me. But as you get older (I am 66) it does get a little harder to get up. But not that hard....I'm a fan of classic modernist chair design, have a look at the Alvar Aalto 411 'tank' chair. Although that's low too. The Swedish chair shown above is essentially a 'homage' to Aalto, the original Scandinavian modernist.
Last year we went to Helsinki and I saw the Tank chair for the first time, became an instant hit with me. I love it.

This is the chair I usually listen in (It's Dutch):
rietveld-easy-chairs-for-metz1.jpg

See Arne Jacobson's 'Egg' chair ; that's where the idea for that design appears to come from. But them the Eames lounge chair was a modernised version of an English club chair. And the great Aalto designs show a clear reference to earlier rocking chairs.
BTW: The Eames isn't ideal for most audio listening, it's too low.
Pity 99% of audio equipment hasn't an ounce (or gram) of design style. I would have said that B and O are about the only company with a serious design heritage. Can't think of any other firm with continuity of fine design. Pity as we have to look at the stuff. And so do the people we live with.

Pity 99% of audio equipment hasn't an ounce (or gram) of design style. I would have said that B and O are about the only company with a serious design heritage. Can't think of any other firm with continuity of fine design. Pity as we have to look at the stuff. And so do the people we live with.

IMG_4584_zps21f73a05.jpg

Walker-era Quad, Transcriptors/Michell and Lescon all very deservedly won design awards and IIRC have had kit exhibited at MOMA. I can think of many more with a clear and distinct house aesthetic, e.g. classic period Marantz, McIntosh, Rega, Naim, Audio Research, Krell, Martin Logan etc, modern B&W, Shahinian etc, and then there are many which make just a couple of truly iconic designs e.g. Tannoy Autographs & corner Yorks etc, Klipschhorns & La Scalas, the JR149, the SME 3009/3012, Thorens TD-124, Technics SL1200 MkII etc. There's shed-loads of truly beautiful kit out there if one looks, though I'm not a fan of the current trend for blingy blue lights and curvy painted MDF at all.

Shahinian arc. Love the shape of those but not a fan of the dark grain. A light oak or sealed birch ply is more my cup of tea.

I'm not so keen on that aesthetically but it certainly looks comfortable. I've got a Corbusier chaise longue and had that as my hi-fi listening chair for a little while; I really liked it but it was too self indulgent and I've ended up with a sofa.

I'm not so keen on that aesthetically but it certainly looks comfortable. I've got a Corbusier Chaise longue and had that as my hi-fi listening chair for a little while; I really liked it but it was too self indulgent and I've ended up with a sofa.

Wasn't that too low?

Walker-era Quad, Transcriptors/Michell and Lescon all very deservedly won design awards and IIRC have had kit exhibited at MOMA. l.

Strangely enough, I have working samples of each of these. They are lovely.
I know what you mean about stuff like the 3009, what a fabulous classic, but I suspect you have to be an audio buff to 'get it.' The real test is can an audio design capture the hearts of 'ordinary' people. That's a tough test.
Among decks, I think the Linn LP12 might be a 'classic' because of the extreme simplicity and neatness of the appearance. But that may be the audio fan speaking.
And why are modern cars so very ugly?

Really nice chair. Most elegant. But again, do you find it high enough for listening to audio? I tend to assume that our ears should be roughly level with the treble unit. Will the sound be a bit unbalanced if you sit too low?

Wasn't that too low?

Well it depends how you have it adjusted on its base; but, in realty, the ear level was similar to sitting on a sofa. The optimum axis on which to listen varies from speaker to speaker and partly depends on the dispersion characteristics of the tweeter - but in many cases the ideal point is mid way between the tweeter and the mid/woofer (or very slightly higher).

Really nice chair. Most elegant. But again, do you find it high enough for listening to audio? I tend to assume that our ears should be roughly level with the treble unit. Will the sound be a bit unbalanced if you sit too low?

As far as I can tell most speakers are designed for proper alignment mid-point between the (bass-)mid and tweeter, which is usually a fair bit lower than people listen to them. If deviating from this position I almost always prefer to listen below that point than above. I find many speakers sound better slightly below than on axis, and as with most things I have a crackpot theory, that one is, by effectively tipping the tweeter away slightly, better time-aligning the drivers. My favourite listening seat at the moment is a large bean-bag as it's very comfortable, quite low, and very easy to position - it's the ideal thing if one wants a seat that can be moved into the stereo hotspot, but not left in the middle of the room as a fixture as having no legs they don't mark the carpet! I'd still love a classic Eames recliner, it is *the* chair, sadly I just don't have a room layout that would take one really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back