advertisement

Sugden Masterclass ANV 50

If I use the pre out from my A21SE and plug it into the power stage of my old A48II (i.e. eliminate the A48 pre) will I have a Sugden Masterclass Anv 40 ? It certainly won´t be as light as the ANV50.

Last edited:
If I use the pre out from my A21SE and plug it into the power stage of my old A48II (i.e. eliminate the A48 pre) will I have a Sugden Masterclass Anv 40 ? It certainly won´t be as light as the ANV50.

Light years behind, unfortunately. Chuck it in the skip.

No, at least let me try it first.It will be a lot I easier than it sounds apparently. The A48II weak spot was always the pre with all those filters and tone controls apparently.

One thing is obvious. Very few people actually realise that to say Sugden A21 without the letter a or SE after the numbers is to say very little except that they all have basically the same circuit for the pre boards and that the differences lie in their power supplies and delivery. hence their prices
Whether the A21 that Patrick uses and is about to change be an A21a in any of it’s various guises or an A21SE will probably depend on his choice of speakers asnd needs ? But still what does it matter ? I believe he is a bit of a heavy /trash metal fan so ´nuff said !
The point is that not everybody can or wants splash out on a 3 grand plus amp so I doubt very much that Sugden are going to sell a shedload of ANVs in the UK this week however good it is, but there again they wouldn´t bother with yet another model if it weren´t something very special either. I bet they do sell a load abroad, so good for them.
Mightn´t it be a case that in the future Class A will get progressively less and less common given the ecology slant and EU regs. and that something needed doing to ensure that Sugden will still be around in another 50 years ?

... But still what does it matter ? I believe he is a bit of a heavy /trash metal fan so ´nuff said !

I don't understand what you mean here? Are you suggesting that it won't matter what his chosen amp will be because of the kind of music he listens to?

I'm honestly curious because I've read that Sugden doesn't suit heavy rock/metal but it just amplifies, right? I've read similar comments about Harbeth too.

I once listened to Sisters Of Mercy (not too loud) at a party through a Sugden integrated (21 something, not helpful I know) and it was enjoyable.

I should add that I'd love an excuse to consider a Sugden integrated when it comes time to downsize.

advertisement

Back