advertisement

Sugden Masterclass ANV 50

No, I´m saying every man is a world unto himself that he will probably have a favourite speaker and that will dictate which Sugden model amp he chooses. Now with the "brutal power" of the ANV, who knows ? He once told me he loved the Totem Forests but that was a good few years ago when they were distributors for Totem. With regard to what people say about Sugden not suiting heavy rock, I think I would probably have gone along with that before because both my A21a and my present A21Se did use to get a bit confused with complex recordings but certainly not any more since ousting the Alps Blue volume pots and fitting stepped attenuators and, believe it or not, placing Maglev feet under my A21SE I couldn´t wish for better bass. Don´t ask me why ´cos I have no idea.
P.S. I only use vinyl as a source so who knows

I'm honestly curious because I've read that Sugden doesn't suit heavy rock/metal but it just amplifies, right?
For some reason Sugden get labelled with being pipe and slipper amplifiers. I can only imagine this is by people who have never owned one of their amps. I’m never quite sure how an amplifier can be suited or not suited to certain types of music.

No, I´m saying every man is a world unto himself that he will probably have a favourite speaker and that will dictate which Sugden model amp he chooses. Now with the "brutal power" of the ANV, who knows ? He once told me he loved the Totem Forests but that was a good few years ago when they were distributors for Totem. With regard to what people say about Sugden not suiting heavy rock, I think I would probably have gone along with that before because both my A21a and my present A21Se did use to get a bit confused with complex recordings but certainly not any more since ousting the Alps Blue volume pots and fitting stepped attenuators and, believe it or not, placing Maglev feet under my A21SE I couldn´t wish for better bass. Don´t ask me why ´cos I have no idea.
P.S. I only use vinyl as a source so who knows

One of the better sounds I've heard was an original A21 and a pair of Totem Arros, which was interesting because I'm not usually a fan of ported little floorstanders, plus they aren't very efficient but it was a very nice pairing if what they did is your sort of thing, which it was for me.

I often keep an eye out for a reasonably priced pair of Arros but I either miss them or they're asking double what I'm prepared to pay.

@Tigerjones : I have listened to a Sugden A21 SE in my own setup with Harbeth speakers and the sound was very "pipes and slippers". I compared it to a Marantz PM 15 SE which is also not known for having great PRaT. Switching to a Rega Brio-R or a Naim Nait XS-2 was fast as hell compared to the Sugden. A good friend owns the (older) Masterclass AA Pre+Monos and I also have listend to a Sugden Optima 200, both where also "pipes and slippers".
Sugden IMHO has other strength then Drive or PRaT.

I understand how amplifiers can suit better to different kinds of music. If you listen to more electronic made music. Colour, timbre, natural sound, size and weight is very important for me if I listen to Classic, Jazz or Singe & Songwriter stuff.

If I listen to Rock, Metal, Punkrock, etc. power, control, hard & fast bass, PRAT and slightly rolled off heights (bad recorder albums) is what I'm looking for.

I used to own an A21 SE and found it a fast and dynamic amp. But hey I’m happy with a wooden cased A21 so maybe I’m not the best judge.

Nothing to add regarding Sugden, but saying an amp suits certain music is just crazy? I want everything with every recording

Listening to DJ Q Bert’s Camel Bobsled Race mix of DJ Shadow’s second album. It’a Complicated 23 minutes of music. The little Sugden handles in beautifully. Certainly no slouch.

I have just bought a A21 signature. It is one of My favorite amps ever. I have had Gryphon amps, Pass Labs, densen, Perreaux and others less known brands. But I think Sugden is the amp i can listen to for hours. Pass Labs was also like that.

i find the same amp sounds totally different depending on the room and the speakers , got one amp here which sounds clinical and boring in one room and with the harbies in another room its sounds absolutely great .

@Tigerjones : I have listened to a Sugden A21 SE in my own setup with Harbeth speakers and the sound was very "pipes and slippers". I compared it to a Marantz PM 15 SE which is also not known for having great PRaT. Switching to a Rega Brio-R or a Naim Nait XS-2 was fast as hell compared to the Sugden. A good friend owns the (older) Masterclass AA Pre+Monos and I also have listend to a Sugden Optima 200, both where also "pipes and slippers".
Sugden IMHO has other strength then Drive or PRaT.

I understand how amplifiers can suit better to different kinds of music. If you listen to more electronic made music. Colour, timbre, natural sound, size and weight is very important for me if I listen to Classic, Jazz or Singe & Songwriter stuff.

If I listen to Rock, Metal, Punkrock, etc. power, control, hard & fast bass, PRAT and slightly rolled off heights (bad recorder albums) is what I'm looking for.

listening today to p3esr on less than perfect stands with the a21se . very punchy sound . muscular . most certainly not pipe and slippers !! griegs piano concerto was delightful and the oblivion soundtrack pretty good too

listening today to p3esr on less than perfect stands with the a21se . very punchy sound . muscular . most certainly not pipe and slippers !! griegs piano concerto was delightful and the oblivion soundtrack pretty good too

It’s a lovely amplifier. Trying to remember if the P3s and the SE were ever together in my old house but it was a time of many amps and many speakers so I’m unsure.

We mainly use the p3esr in dining room so need very clear sound at low levels. Put a cheaper pair in there today and nowhere as clear and natural in timbre as the p3esr. Slight overkill really but sometimes take them in other rooms with various amps

Then we have a very, very different perception of punchy and muscular.

ha , we do indeed . I feel like i have been hit by mike tyson here . played the a21se today with the impulse speakers which are pretty sensitive , the volume knob barely moves off zero . The thwack of strings and sheer power is prety big. only managed about an hour and half and it may be too much for me i fear . Of course old shatterhand you may well probably have younger ears than me and like louder music . Funnily enough i only decided to get the taus while on a walking trip in Germany !

using the jolida dac into the a21se its certainly an interesting experience. be interesting to hear what the ANV50 is like . this thing sounds even more powerful than the sn2 without any steeliness or harshness

advertisement

Back