advertisement

Sugden Masterclass ANV 50

given the meaning is

very modern and using the latest ideas and methods:

why dont you think they are state of the art graham ?

Depends on whether you are referring to the technology used or the actual sonic performance. If you are referring to the former then Devialet and companies using Class D and switching amps could be referred to as using state of the art electronics. However, we all know modern circuits or the latest ideas and technology do not produce the best sound. State of the art sound was achieved many years ago and most companies today don't get near to what was done previously.

@hifinutt : Sorry my English isn't good enough, I don't understand the meaning of: "Funnily enough i only decided to get the taus while on a walking trip in Germany !

Which impulse speakers?

Sugden make great amplifiers
Discharged by many due to low watt (on paper)
Its just" a matter of right pairing

What is "high end" ?
(Dealers bump and promotion aside)

@hifinutt : Sorry my English isn't good enough, I don't understand the meaning of: "Funnily enough i only decided to get the taus while on a walking trip in Germany ! My apologies , I saw you were from Germany and last year there were some impulse speakers advertised while i was in germany and i decided to buy them

Which impulse speakers?

Oh that is a speaker? I didn't know the company "impulse" and also didn't know that the "taus" is a speaker. No wonder I didn't understood the meaning.

I hope they use the ANV at Munich later this week - I shall be there with my white stick again this year :)

The Falcon - Sugden room was well worth a listen last year.

Sugden makes good audio equipment but they are not State of the Art...

You're more than welcome to differ however I still feel the Masterclass ANV-50 is state of the art. Two and a half years of development and wow. What a beauty Sugden have come up with :)

Along with JL Audio's Gotham v2 the Masterclass ANV-50 is the most impressive component I have experienced in the last 33 years.

now apart from Rick , has anyone else had any more experiences with the anv-50 . ? the a21se has been playing here for a good 2 weeks . quite the most unexpected sound i must say . cavernous sound with incredibly low noise floor so you can literally hear a pin drop . attack and decay are first class . very entertaining , very fast and a seismic bass . BUT its just a bit full on really , can`t listen for more than 90 mins really otherwise you feel its too much . bit like being at the IMAX with interstellar film . Not had any sugden ever so its a real eye opener .

back now to a warmer amp with less attack but more gentle on the ears and still enjoyable , i am wondering how the the anv 50 would compare ? is it just as fast or more mellow sounding . i guess i must try one sometime but i have a feeling croft is next on the menu

I’ve always liked what the Sugden A21 does, but I wouldn’t really describe it as ‘fast’. Punchy, yes; dynamic, sure; expressive, certainly. But not fast, not in the way that a Lavardin is fast, or Albarry, or Spectral.

I'm going to get a listen to the ANV 50 fairly soon, and I'm hoping it might combine the qualities of the A21 with the sort of speed and drive I associate with those other amps. It'll be a winner if so.

Last edited:
From the description given here of the ANV 50 I doubt you’re going to like it if you find the SE too much. I like the SE but I do prefer the A21 and A21a. As with all these things it’s down to personal preference.

now apart from Rick , has anyone else had any more experiences with the anv-50 . ? the a21se has been playing here for a good 2 weeks . quite the most unexpected sound i must say . cavernous sound with incredibly low noise floor so you can literally hear a pin drop . attack and decay are first class . very entertaining , very fast and a seismic bass . BUT its just a bit full on really , can`t listen for more than 90 mins really otherwise you feel its too much . bit like being at the IMAX with interstellar film . Not had any sugden ever so its a real eye opener .

back now to a warmer amp with less attack but more gentle on the ears and still enjoyable , i am wondering how the the anv 50 would compare ? is it just as fast or more mellow sounding . i guess i must try one sometime but i have a feeling croft is next on the menu

I'm really surprised that you find the A21SE fatiguing. I currently have an A21SE Sig and fatiguing is the the polar opposite of its sound, IMO. I have been very surprised by the way it manages to convey detail and layering in a non fatiguing way, whilst not being recessed at all. Bright it certainly isn't. Neither is it all warm and cuddly. I would say it's quite a revealing amp; perhaps it is exposing a weakness or mismatch in your source? Or may be not at its best (if it's a far few years old, caps may need replacing, as these amps do generate a deal of heat and heat is the enemy of caps). Still, this hobby is fascinating; what i think is a great sound, others will think is utter tosh! There's no real right or wrong, just preferences. As to Croft? Not my cup of tea; they're just too much like something knocked up in a back room or shed. I strongly suspect that those that like them also buy artisan bread and the like :). They're OK sounding, but just a bit meh for me. I realise I'm probably in a small minority, but there you go. My Sugden may depart soon for something quite different and a bit spendy. So much kit and so little time!

Incidentally, I did get to hear an ANV 50. Good amp (I prefer the A21SE Sig though during a direct comparison session), but the SMPS power supply takes it away from being a true Sugden, IMO. Certainly not for me; many choices at that price level. As ever, it's all system, room and preference dependent.

What are you asking it to drive? I’m curious as I’ve always viewed Sugden as a neutral and natural sound, certainly not ‘hyped’ in the way you describe. Even the SE is only a little amp, and IIRC one that doesn’t like some reactive loads very much, so I wonder if it is struggling with your speakers.

PS The SE is an amp I’ve only heard a couple of times, one was it sounding absolutely stunning with Falcon LS3/5As and classical material. That system got strings about as good as I’ve heard. Just that one instance put it very firmly on my ‘to consider’ list if I ever wanted a new simple ‘one box’ amp.

thanks , yes its a fairly bright room and the speakers are very easy load horns [6 ohm modded impulse RFC taus] . they are extremely revealing and someone else less sensitive would no doubt love them . it is pretty incredible sound but not quite the velvety textured sound that might suit the room more .

very interested in simons thoughts re the SMPS power supply in the anv 50 , i was wondering if the anv 50 was a class D amp ? as you say its not the same as the a21se

very shortly it will be going in my over damped room with the eaton legacy and i fully expect it to absolutely shine , even with poor old recordings that it shows up so well

advertisement

Back