advertisement

Sugden Masterclass ANV 50

Can you tell us more about it? Is it a class A amp with a switched mode power supply?

It appears to be a current dumping or "Technics class AA"/Sandman class S amp (they share much in common and the last two are virtually identical. Dr Aubrey Sandman sued Matshusita (Technics) for breach of copyright/patent but with corporate lawyers on Technics side they won) with a SMPS. All are unrelated to class A.

What I’d really like to see from Sugden is a remake of the original A21 with a wooden case, phone stage, tone controls and a headphone amp. Just maybe a bit more poweful to suit modern speakers.

What I’d really like to see from Sugden is a remake of the original A21 with a wooden case, phone stage, tone controls and a headphone amp. Just maybe a bit more poweful to suit modern speakers.

With the Masterclass ANV-50 Sugden have surpassed the A21. The Masterclass ANV-50's power/performance is light years ahead of the A21.

Well obviously it’s a much more powerful amplifier but that doesn’t, on it’s own, make it a better amplifier. I’d be surprised if it retains the sweet richness of the original but then the countless amps I’ve owned over the years don’t, including other Sugdens.

You keep banging on about it being light years ahead but I don’t really understand what you mean by this.

They are absolutely clear that it's NOT a class A amp, but they don't think it matters because they think it sounds like one of their class A amps.

So what we need is someone to listen to this new one and one of their Masterclass Class A amps in the same context -- I'd do it myself if they had a dealer near me, but there isn't one.

With the stunning quality of the new Masterclass ANV-50 what Sugden now need to do is add two words before Masterclass - A New Masterclass :)

The A21 signature is the week A21 over the past 50 years. The SE is a cracking amp, much loved by Patrick at Sugden. If it sounds a lot better than that I would be surprised.

Fwiw, Patrick will soon be replacing his A21 with the Masterclass ANV-50 :)

advertisement

Back