advertisement

Sugden Masterclass ANV 50

Has anybody heard this, or even own it? I'd be interested in any feedback you may have.

It seems a bit of a departure for Sugden, as it uses a switched power supply but remains a Class A amp. Power is at 50W which makes it suitable for a much wider range of 'speakers. Plus it's much lighter, which is a great boon for me.

There is not a single loudspeaker I've used the Masterclass ANV-50 with that has made the ANV-50 flinch. Masterclass ANV-50 feels as though it has a nuclear power supply as power delivery is instant and brutal :) It's an assault on bass drivers :cool: All in a nice way though while still retaining Sugden's signature presentation :)

Simply remarkable :)

They are absolutely clear that it's NOT a class A amp, but they don't think it matters because they think it sounds like one of their class A amps.

So what we need is someone to listen to this new one and one of their Masterclass Class A amps in the same context -- I'd do it myself if they had a dealer near me, but there isn't one.

I’m sure it sounds good regardless. Would like to have a listen but it’s out of price range and I already have two Sugden amps. If I was spending that much I’d have another A21SE.

Sugden specs state: Gross Weight (packed) 10kgs

That sounds very light even for a quality class A/B amp.

It's definitely not class A and does sound like a current dumper.... the vague description above could also apply to class S/Technics "class AA" (pretty much the same thing).
Strangely enough it occurred to me just last week that Quads patents have long expired and so I've designed a couple of current dumping power amps myself of an evening.... and come up with another brand new topology!

Class J? Or is it Classkless?? :D

The A21 signature is the week A21 over the past 50 years. The SE is a cracking amp, much loved by Patrick at Sugden. If it sounds a lot better than that I would be surprised.

The A21 signature is the week A21 over the past 50 years. The SE is a cracking amp, much loved by Patrick at Sugden. If it sounds a lot better than that I would be surprised.

As good as the A21 and A21SE are however much to my surprise the Masterclass ANV-50 is light years ahead. Like I said the ANV-50’s power delivery is instant and brutal not to mention it’s transparency while still retaining Sugden’s signature presentation.

The Masterclass ANV-50 marks a new approach for Sugden and long may it continue.

I’d love to have a listen to one, especially given it’s a different approach from them. Hope you’re selling a few.

If you're ever in our part of the world then you're more then welcome to have a look and listen to the Masterclass ANV-50.

I'll stick with my A21 thanks, it's not possible to be "light years" ahead, slight exaggeration to say the least.

advertisement

Back