advertisement

Stock Market 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a general dig at the willy waving that always goes on around stocks and shares and is particularly prevalent when the word portfolio gets mentioned.

You can get a stock of portfolio phobia pills; maybe even share them out ! No idea why you're on this stock market thread if you have no interest, but my willy-waving shares have dropped off of late. It's called equitile disfunction. ;)

You can get a stock of portfolio phobia pills; maybe even share them out ! No idea why you're on this stock market thread if you have no interest, but my willy-waving shares have dropped off of late. It's called equitile disfunction. ;)

I'm not commenting in a way that you like so according to you I have no interest! Wow, just ****ing wow!

I don’t read anything into it tbh. It’s a flock of sheep, to my mind it’s a portfolio of shares; whether you have a few hundred quid invested or tens of millions.

But feel free to moan on, clearly you enjoy it!

Well it would.. to your sort!

Enjoy your wallow in naivety and pseudo class war thinking. Even the people you espouse to ill afford a portfolio may well have a private pension or S & S ISAs. What do you think these are invested in? EVERYBODY suffers when serious slumps in stock markets take place, both directly and indirectly, as it's a major element in the global economy. Read, mark, learn and inwardly digest, maybe.

Last edited:
Quite. The stock markets are what provide capital for companies that pay wages to their employees. Pension funds invest in the stock market, as do popularly priced investment funds. There is also nothing immoral in earning interest on money one lends, given that there are risks involved (see the past week!), and morally it is exactly the same as buying government bills. Some people invest in real estate, some in state bonds, some in the stock market, some in post office savings that give a small interest. In any case, today in any developed country most of the population is "capitalist" to some extent.
Besides, in other threads I discover that PFM members own Porsches, three Mercedes', V8 Range Rovers, not to mention 40,000 Euro stereos, 10,000 Euro wrist watches, and have holidays that must cost several thousand Euro per person. Why is there no moral outrage about that?

As a footnote, even HMRC, not known for its largesse, allows £2Ks worth of dividends before tax, Even divi. income above that is only taxed at around 7%. The world's stock markets are the lifeblood of its economic health (as Paul says above), and nearly every person is dependent in some way on the economic scenario.

Currently, it's called a correction. I think we're on the cusp of more than that unless (a) the supply chains can start to repair their links, and (b) a very early warm spring or mini heatwave can dissipate the effectiveness of the virus. Global warming, it's time to do your stuff !

Enjoy your wallow in naivety and pseudo class war thinking. Even the people you espouse to ill afford a portfolio may well have a private pension or S & S ISAs. What do you think these are invested in? EVERYBODY suffers when serious slumps in stock markets take place, both directly and indirectly, as it's a major element in the global economy. Read, mark, learn and inwardly digest, maybe.

Really? I never knew that. Thank you for the enlightenment. It is truly an honour to be educated by someone so learned as you. And a patronising tone too... how lucky am I? FFS :rolleyes:

You also seem to be continually missing the point (unsurprisingly)... it's about the willy waving aspect of it and PaulMB's post is very useful as certain people do exactly the same with cars, watches, hi-fi systems, property etc.

Anyway I have work to do...

My prediction the Dow could fall 1000 points yesterday was an understatement.

We're now into a strange zone where novice (and expert) investors start to lose their cool and just sell because..."Everyone else is doing it". Automated systems will also come into play... unless they have been partially bypassed for now :)

Fund managers will actually have to earn their keep now instead of just letting the funds grow by inertia.

Now where are those commentators from late last year saying a 40,000 Dow Jones was the next thing??? I expect they're back saying 20,000 is where it's at

Automated systems will also come into play... unless they have been partially bypassed for now :)

I don't think there's that sort of trading behaviour left in the market, certainly nowhere i've worked.

The typical algo trading firm is looking at correlations between past and current behaviour, and if things start to go very weird, they'll just not enter the market the following day. Basically they won't come out to play, but obviously they'll still collect market data, and run their post day analysis and decide when things are smooth to go back into that market. This will be on a market by market basis. So don't expect to see a sell off from algo trading, it's more a reduction in volumes that'll indicate their absence. The market making strategies will be there playing their part no matter what as they are neutral to rising or falling prices.

I can't comment on FX or derivatives markets as I've not directly worked on these, algo equity trading being my thing (well it was till recently).

I don't think there's that sort of trading behaviour left in the market, certainly nowhere i've worked.

The typical algo trading firm is looking at correlations between past and current behaviour, and if things start to go very weird, they'll just not enter the market the following day. Basically they won't come out to play, but obviously they'll still collect market data, and run their post day analysis and decide when things are smooth to go back into that market. This will be on a market by market basis. So don't expect to see a sell off from algo trading, it's more a reduction in volumes that'll indicate their absence. The market making strategies will be there playing their part no matter what as they are neutral to rising or falling prices.

I can't comment on FX or derivatives markets as I've not directly worked on these, algo equity trading being my thing (well it was till recently).

That's very interesting

So we're now left to human nature to decide... Don't Panic!!!

FTSE doing aother dive bomb this morning.

I'm just amazed it's taken the markets this long to realise. I was in Oz a month ago listening first hand to the early effects virus was having on supply/trade and wondering...how can the markets keep rising? (and I'm just a novice). What research do the ''experts' do all day exactly?

It's funny that the mere vernacular of certain sectors gets folk snarky. But it does also enable some to shall we say crow a little.

Portfolio is a FS term.
Wealth Managers are renamed Independant Financial Advisors (IFAs).

These appear inflammatory to some in the same way that Private School can do for others (maybe the same..)

Trouble is that the class chippy/snobbery divide, surfaces too soon, and the point of debate, in this case the mechanisations and wavings of financial markets, all too soon gets lost in the usual PFM squabbles.

S funny tho.

Quite. The stock markets are what provide capital for companies that pay wages to their employees. Pension funds invest in the stock market, as do popularly priced investment funds. There is also nothing immoral in earning interest on money one lends, given that there are risks involved (see the past week!), and morally it is exactly the same as buying government bills. Some people invest in real estate, some in state bonds, some in the stock market, some in post office savings that give a small interest. In any case, today in any developed country most of the population is "capitalist" to some extent.
Besides, in other threads I discover that PFM members own Porsches, three Mercedes', V8 Range Rovers, not to mention 40,000 Euro stereos, 10,000 Euro wrist watches, and have holidays that must cost several thousand Euro per person. Why is there no moral outrage about that?

Very hard to judge the apparently affluent, some have very little in the stock market and a decent car, holiday or stereo. The one that always surprises me is how much some soap characters spend in the pub; supposedly lower income but if they put that cash to better (different) use they too could be driving a Porsche or skiing.
A big immorality to me is how so many poor people are never educated to manage their day to day life. Basic life skills like cooking on a budget or comprehending a loan agreement leave them powerless in the face of endless media assaults.

Anyone like to guess where FTSE will end today?
No but my very modest shareholdings have lost over £1000 in the last few days; I think Investing in Hi-Fi is far more rational. Perversely I am actually rather enjoying the downward slide as hopefully it will speed up a slide in other asset classes. The only thing that seems to be holding up is gold which is a traditional refuge in times of stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back