advertisement

Stock Market 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
FTSE doing aother dive bomb this morning.

I'm just amazed it's taken the markets this long to realise. I was in Oz a month ago listening first hand to the early effects virus was having on supply/trade and wondering...how can the markets keep rising? (and I'm just a novice). What research do the ''experts' do all day exactly?

I've often wondered myself. Maybe the "experts" are really not that "expert" at all. Unless they are operating in the grey zone of manipulation of specific stocks or insider trading. Certainly the "personal bankers" I've met in local banks seem to know less about theses things than I do, which ain't much. Some are complete ignoramuses who only want to flog funds run by the bank itself. As for the high level "experts," one never gets to see them or talk to them. Do they actually exists?

Very hard to judge the apparently affluent, some have very little in the stock market and a decent car, holiday or stereo. The one that always surprises me is how much some soap characters spend in the pub; supposedly lower income but if they put that cash to better (different) use they too could be driving a Porsche or skiing.
A big immorality to me is how so many poor people are never educated to manage their day to day life. Basic life skills like cooking on a budget or comprehending a loan agreement leave them powerless in the face of endless media assaults.

Yes, agree completely. I don't know what happens elsewhere but in Italy local banks have been ripping them off for years with "financial products" that suit the bank rather than the customers.

Hate to go there but Porsche was mentioned earlier.

I bought one late last year. Was going to go a slightly expensive one but didn't as had a feeling things were about to change...

There been lots of indicators if people cared to look.

No but my very modest shareholdings have lost over £1000 in the last few days; I think Investing in Hi-Fi is far more rational.

Mine is in a building society spread across various Fidelity-managed products, and I bet I’ve lost about that, the next statement will likely be ugly reading. I’m in for the long-term (assuming I don’t die from C19!) so I’m not too bothered, I guess there will be buying options for them at the bottom. I don’t take any active part in the management, I really have no interest in it. I just looked at which building societies tended to perform well and stuck everything I had in there. It is what it is, though in some respects I rather wish I’d bought something tangible e.g. a couple of ludicrously expensive pre-CBS Strats or whatever. I do at least understand that.

Anyway I have work to do...

Where ?... is there another forum you have to post on where you also like to think that you are an expert on absolutely every subject going .. where you feel you have a moral imperative to keep people straight ?

I can see how that would keep you busy.

A big immorality to me is how so many poor people are never educated to manage their day to day life. Basic life skills like cooking on a budget or comprehending a loan agreement leave them powerless in the face of endless media assaults.

Well said. As a former teacher, I've long espoused the value in basic financial and budgetary education, which was conspicuous by its absence at various chalk faces in the seventies to nineties; admittedly in a relatively small catchment area but covering many types and levels of schools.

No but my very modest shareholdings have lost over £1000 in the last few days; I think Investing in Hi-Fi is far more rational. Perversely I am actually rather enjoying the downward slide as hopefully it will speed up a slide in other asset classes. The only thing that seems to be holding up is gold which is a traditional refuge in times of stress.

Of course unless you are needing to cash in today, which is unfortunate, I find it better to not value your long term investments on a short term day to day basis. It just makes for misplaced anxiety/hubris

That said I been sat on some modest RBS shares since 2006. "the value of your investments can go down as well as up". No sh1T!! Who knows when the time will be right to harvest a killing there ;-)

If you don’t need to sell, do nothing. You’ll never catch the bottom and you’ll miss the upticks. I’m not even looking, it would turn me into an alcoholic, very quickly...

Of course unless you are needing to cash in today, which is unfortunate, I find it better to not value your long term investments on a short term day to day basis. It just makes for misplaced anxiety/hubris

That said I been sat on some modest RBS shares since 2006. "the value of your investments can go down as well as up". No sh1T!! Who knows when the time will be right to harvest a killing there ;-)

I think you needed to be active in this last Bull run as this was always going to happen. The system was running on Steroids for too long.

It's why I got out as I didn't want to be active. I put it into Physical things that I 100% own and that generate cash.

I don’t take any active part in the management, I really have no interest in it. I just looked at which building societies tended to perform well and stuck everything I had in there. It is what it is, though in some respects I rather wish I’d bought something tangible e.g. a couple of ludicrously expensive pre-CBS Strats or whatever. I do at least understand that.

Old guitars are looking dodgy long term too...the next generation won't be buying them like this generation IMO (they have more nostalgic links to Rave Culture than Jimmy Hendrix).

Is a record collection one of the safest and best performing portfolios available to the average music lover?

It's at least a comforting thought in these straitened times.

The record and high end used hifi buying demographic is over 60 and vulnerable to COVID-19

I resemble that remark !!!!

There will be a turning point; there always is, but in each previous correction event, it's been initiated by a different set of circumstances (Dot-com, 911, 2008 shenanigans etc.) This time it's a health scare, though the ultimate consequences tend to be similar. This time, however, the cause is ongoing and could escalate or decline, so if there're no further major corona virus scares, things could stabilise and gradually improve. I don't expect a sudden influx of stock buying, though this is purely speculation.

Part of the market decline may well be that traders must sell, not just buy, and if nobody's buying, they keep reducing prices to attract. A bit simplistic, but my knowledge is rather basic. However, as Paul says in post 81, this basic knowledge is sometimes even more than those in financial managerial positions!

I think you needed to be active in this last Bull run as this was always going to happen. The system was running on Steroids for too long.

It's why I got out as I didn't want to be active. I put it into Physical things that I 100% own and that generate cash.

The answer, in the long run, is a balanced approach. Not all eggs in one basket. It would be great to be able to time everything to a tee, but if you can do that, you’ll probably be sat on your own Greek island.

My only consolation right now is that I didn’t sell the gold I nearly did in January and I’ve not placed this years SIPP contributions. It could be a great buying opportunity. Be greedy when others are fearful and all that. We’ll never know until it’s too late.

Should a number of, more conservative, senior citizens shuffle off their mortal coils, will not their portfolios potentially be passed onto their more liberal and risk taking offspring - making for more lively markets?

The answer, in the long run, is a balanced approach. Not all eggs in one basket. It would be great to be able to time everything to a tee, but if you can do that, you’ll probably be sat on your own Greek island.

My only consolation right now is that I didn’t sell the gold I nearly did in January and I’ve not placed this years SIPP contributions. It could be a great buying opportunity. Be greedy when others are fearful and all that. We’ll never know until it’s too late.

What I don't understand is why any sane person could have thought current markets weren't peaking? Manipulated markets always tumble.

Anyway, the one shining light in the traditional trilogy of i) cash, ii) property, iii) stocks is in trouble and the other two aren't doing great either so what signal does that send to the world...begins with R

I tend to agree and have been systematically running my holdings down for a while. I do however face platform costs which need a certain value of shares to be cost effective, hence a modest shareholding. Why didn't I ditch them all you may ask? Well I think the already mentioned old adage about eggs and baskets covers my thinking there.

I assume it's the upward trend in German infections that is spooking the market ---- like we couldn't see that coming.

Are the Traders only just realising this things bloody contagious...I assume the Coke is flowing now as they need to stay awake and do their jobs. there's loadsa it about I hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back