1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Market 2020

Discussion in 'off topic' started by andyoz, Feb 26, 2020.

1. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Markets sliding for the third day....

As expected, the web is alive with stories of ideal buying opportunity...Really?

The valuations were crazy before Coronavirus and they sure haven't improved since. I assume what they are saying is governments will pump even more money into the 'economy' that really mostly lands in the stock market. So let's keep solving a debt fueled crash in 2008 by...yep...creating more debt!!

I sold out 2 years ago as sick of all this BS.

2. deanf

deanf pfm Member

You would’ve made a load of money if you stayed in another year and fifty one weeks. And probably if you bought back in today and sold in a few months time.

Not all valuations are crazy, still a few diamonds to be found.

Wilson likes this.
  3. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

People with real money are not going to give advice to anyone else until they have made their move.

Airline shares look like a good deal NOT. I expect several airlines to fold in the next few months, my phones is humming with adverts for 50% off business class tickets, I wonder why....

4. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

What's to say I didn't do well having the money elsewhere ;)

I was sick of playing the game...things are going up purely based on inertia and government manipulation.

Too many 20/20 hindsight experts out there in the stock market sphere.

SteveS1 likes this.
  5. Nero

Nero BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK

yebbut some airlines will undoubtedly recover, so it's a question of when to buy when still on the way down.

I'm with @andyoz on this one - I sold up years ago, when algorithmic trading took over. It's no place for amateurs any more.

6. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

The key metric now is unemployment...

Central banks are petrified of it as who will pay for all the debt in this grand 'wealth effect' experiment.

Snufkin likes this.
  7. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Yep, you could lose your shirt overnight while on holidays or something and I don't want to watch the markets every 2 hours.

8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

This is why I allow my pensions provider to do the wheeler-dealing. Last year I made 11% on my pension fund, they take a cut but they do it for a full-time job. If this continues then in another 3 years or so the investments will deliver enough to pay the bills and I'll be going out to work as and when I want to. At the moment, I want to be here at work doing my thing, so all is well.

Wilson and Thorn like this.
  9. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

A dog in the street dealing stocks could have got that return the last few years.

Bear market is the real test..

paulfromcamden likes this.
  10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes indeed. That's what I pay them for.

11. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

The Worlds markets are more of a scream than a laugh unless thats nervous laughter. For me over decades of investment the markets have been a white knuckle ride. You go uuuup and then go dooown - weeee. However the trend is always an 'up' over the lifetime of the markets.

You need a well managed and diverse portfolio. I even made money during the 2008 credit crunch when the markets fell around 30%. In fact over 8 months in that year I made a 20% gain on US shares.

Also be prepared i.e. you don't want to be forced to sell at the bottom. I currently have enough in cash to last if need be another 7 years without dropping our standard of living and cashed in some profits recently as I felt that something was about to give the dominoes a push.

Cheers,

DV

12. chartz

chartz pfm Member

I think the whole stock market thing is the gangrene of mankind. A disease. A cancer.

And investing money in that system I view as immoral. Making money not doing anything for it (ie work) is beyond my understanding.

And yes I did study economics and marketing. I was just disgusted by the whole thing.

What troubles me is that we are part of it, whether we like it or not.

13. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Banks deposits pay zero.
    Gold value is based on ?
    If you rent out property you are a pariah.
    At least most stocks have some sort of relationship to company profits/dividends.

14. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Renting out is a service. It is perfectly acceptable.
    Making money by clicking buy or sell on a computer is not, for me.

15. deanf

deanf pfm Member

A slightly different take on the recent stock market drop, in seven minutes..

sean99 likes this.
  16. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Great isn't it? :D

17. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

But, but you said "Making money not doing anything for it (ie work) is beyond my understanding.".

Snufkin likes this.
  18. wacko

wacko pfm Member

So you and some buddies start a company and you put your money in.
    After a couple of years you sell some more shares to grow.
    etc etc etc etc and now there are thousands of shareholders.
    Then some bloke comes along and says "we can automate this on a computer".
    Voila...

19. KrisW

KrisW pfm Member

In most US states, gambling is illegal. Trading on the Stock Market, however, is not. Those two facts are the best explanation I've found for the prices of technology stocks (the only kind I ever held)

20. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

You know that when stuff is dangled for the little people, the apex predators are getting out.

Roger Adams, SteveS1 and Snufkin like this.