advertisement

Stock Market 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ err it has an effect on stock markets. About a $2 trillion effect.

I know - I was referring to the video in post 15, wherein it states that CV has not had an effect on indexes. Twas ironic.

What I find immoral is buying cheaply and selling straight away with a large profit.

Why is it immoral? The opportunity to do so must be a rare event. No idea which investment category you're talking about, but that situation would be down to insider trading (with equities and exchanges), pure luck with property (unlikely and rarely feasible regardless) or other less mainstream stuff like art etc., where you do need a bit of knowledge.

I do find 'politics of envy', if that is relevant, rather puerile.

Most airlines were leaking money before the outbreak started.
I am told high end hotels are at 30% occupancy here now.

The travel companies are cheap and getting cheaper. Tui, Easyjet etc.

Indeed. Not only the travel companies and airlines, but any economic activity connected with tourism and global movement. That covers an enormous field, although it affects some countries more than others, I rather think, at this time of year when people are booking cruises, even for next year, that there will be a lot of redundant cruise ships. Employment is very likely to be affected as a consequence throughout, if this continues for long.

Hopefully, as viruses tend to depend upon wintry (i.e. damp, cold) conditions, we may see a gradual reduction in outbreaks and potency as northern climes warm up. Luckily, the bulk of the world's population is in the northern hemisphere.

Real employment levels took a considerable hit yesterday with (so far) not much fuss in the press. Lloyds', Virgin Money, Direct Line, HSBC, John Lewis, Beales, Ted Baker. These to be added to the recent announcements from Airbus. Usual pattern, high stock markets - unearned assets looking good, price to be paid by the plebs.

Real employment levels took a considerable hit yesterday with (so far) not much fuss in the press. Lloyds', Virgin Money, Direct Line, HSBC, John Lewis, Beales, Ted Baker. These to be added to the recent announcements from Airbus. Usual pattern, high stock markets - unearned assets looking good, price to be paid by the plebs.

Many companies around the world are operating month to month. Take a quarters worth of 'normal' earnings out of them and they are cactus.

I'm sure the government will come to the rescue and pump more money into the economy to help these companies...BUT most of it barely reaches them as it ends up on stock market... that's what any bullish investors are hoping for. It's got little to do with the actual company profits anymore

But remember the mantra - you are (fiscally) better off with the Tories and the economy is doing well. How anyone believes this tosh is beyond my understanding.

Before the recent election it looked as though Boris' pals, JRM, Redwood et al were planning for a bear market, perhaps coronavirus has provided this opportunity.

Long term the stock market is a great investment. I’ve had a yield of around 4.5% with capital growth. Compare that to money in a savings account which erodes capital and gives a very low rate of interest.

If you look at dividend yields alone shares are good value.

We all have ups and downs on portfolios but I made the right decision to buy heavy on housebuilders a few years ago like Barrett, Persimmen, Morgan Sindall and Taylor Wimpy. As an example, despite this weeks dip, I’m still up 568% on TW.

FTSE getting another hammering. Dow Jones Futures look bleak too so interesting to see what that opens at.

Alot will be taking bull run profits and running and that could go on for weeks...or not...who's got the smartest crystal ball out there then?

I'm already sniffing around (non stock) stuff to jump on in 3 or more months as this thing unravels...

There will be a time when prices and value outweigh the perceived risks. Whereas I could have phoned my broker on Monday and sold stuff (and D.V. is not alone with his crystal ball; this time the writing on the wall was approaching graffiti) I couldn't be arsed, as I'm not an active stock holder. Besides, the hassles of finding worthwhile accounts into which the proceeds could go didn't inspire any sort of selling.

Companies are still companies, and whereas profits, and therefore divi's, will be affected at least well into this year, eventually things will get sorted. I'm a bit complacent, as if I add all my divi's up since 2003 (the bulk of my small portfolio) they will have more than covered purchase prices. Having suffered Carillion's collapse, I'm mentally better equipped to see valuations wiped off my stocks, which are largely defensive, with none directly connected to travel, which do look at risk.

There will be a time when prices and value outweigh the perceived risks. Whereas I could have phoned my broker on Monday and sold stuff (and D.V. is not alone with his crystal ball; this time the writing on the wall was approaching graffiti) I couldn't be arsed, as I'm not an active stock holder. Besides, the hassles of finding worthwhile accounts into which the proceeds could go didn't inspire any sort of selling.

Fave quote of the year.

I'm shocked it took the market this long to react. It really shows what a false sense of security a long Bull market can do.

We all have ups and downs on portfolios but I made the right decision to buy heavy on housebuilders a few years ago like Barrett, Persimmen, Morgan Sindall and Taylor Wimpy. As an example, despite this weeks dip, I’m still up 568% on TW.

By we I assume you don't mean the people who can't afford a 'portfolio'?

Dow Jones could lose 1000 points in one day.

Pence's speech has done the trick then...

Am I right in thinking as of a few days ago the Americans didn't think this stuff was going to affect them on home soil? Protectionist policies don't extend their influence to viruses apparently.

As I said..."If you're going to Panic...Panic first!".

By we I assume you don't mean the people who can't afford a 'portfolio'?

Strange remark. What's this got to do with the price of bread? 'Portfolio' is the normal term given to a holding of stocks, as in some aspects of art, photography etc. Mention of people not having stock holdings is totally irrelevant.:(

Strange remark. What's this got to do with the price of bread? 'Portfolio' is the normal term given to a holding of stocks, as in some aspects of art, photography etc. Mention of people not having stock holdings is totally irrelevant.:(

Just a general dig at the willy waving that always goes on around stocks and shares and is particularly prevalent when the word portfolio gets mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back