advertisement

Stock Market 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Worlds markets are more of a scream than a laugh unless thats nervous laughter. For me over decades of investment the markets have been a white knuckle ride. You go uuuup and then go dooown - weeee. However the trend is always an 'up' over the lifetime of the markets.

You need a well managed and diverse portfolio. I even made money during the 2008 credit crunch when the markets fell around 30%. In fact over 8 months in that year I made a 20% gain on US shares.

Also be prepared i.e. you don't want to be forced to sell at the bottom. I currently have enough in cash to last if need be another 7 years without dropping our standard of living and cashed in some profits recently as I felt that something was about to give the dominoes a push.

Cheers,

DV
What return are you getting on cash?

What return are you getting on cash?
MYOB however its an insurance policy for which I expect to pay. The thing is that at the mo I have in fact 'gained' as those investments that I recently sold i.e. just over a week ago are now worth less than the cash that I have now in the bank.

Things are not as black and white as may at first appear.

Cheers,

DV

You would’ve made a load of money if you stayed in another year and fifty one weeks. And probably if you bought back in today and sold in a few months time.

Not all valuations are crazy, still a few diamonds to be found.

Working for Hargreaves Lansdown?

Oh look...the FTSE has rebounded...nothing to see here ...Mods please delete :)

In reality, the thing has been going sideways for 3 years and that's a sign no one knows what's going on and are just waiting it out purely because there's nowhere else to park their money..

But, but you said "Making money not doing anything for it (ie work) is beyond my understanding.".

Maintaining a high standard of service actually is a lot of work, believe me.
But buying and selling for personal - or for a company’s - profit is not. It is playing. And stress is not work.

The valuations were crazy before Coronavirus

In some parts of the world, yes, but not British stocks; they were way behind others, mainly due to the Brexit uncertainty.

I think the whole stock market thing is the gangrene of mankind. A disease. A cancer, and investing money in that system I view as immoral. Making money not doing anything for it (ie work) is beyond my understanding.

I also find this baffling, but from totally the opposite view. You buy a share in a company hoping for dividends as interest and capital gains as a bonus. It's of course a gamble, like most investments (but not everyday savings, which used to be far less secure). Buying a property to achieve rents as interest and maybe cap. gains is, in my book, exactly the same in principle, whether you take the altruistic view (providing a home or enabling a company to thrive) or the gambling view, where both can go teats-up. (or is it 'tits-up? :)).

Investing in ecological start-ups has an altruistic side at the mo', but is no different, and just as much as,(if not more of) a gamble as picking an established mining or food producing company.

Last edited:
What I find interesting is alot of QE money has ended up in disruptive tech stocks that aren't making a profit and only will once they 'disrupt' the traditional workforce.

It's one reason we aren't seeing the wages growth that traditionally happens when interest rates are low and monetary policy is 'generous'...the money used to go into manufacturing and other industries that actually employed people (well) but that ship sailed for many western countries decades ago.
Central Banks around the world seem confused by why this is happening - lads, the reason is right in front of you...

Nothing wrong with all that but anyone investing in stocks and thinking they are saving the people of the world are largely deluded IMO. We're in it for the Greed and just admit it.

So we are going into unchartered waters...a new era of super high debt and crap wages growth. It's why I 'sold out' of Shares and other things as it's a volatile cocktail.

A slightly different take on the recent stock market drop, in seven minutes..

Good points, and I have long felt that financial news media dream up explanations for market moves. However the coronavirus has the potential to inflict significant hits to company earnings due to reduced movement / trade, and this in a market where the forward looking P/E of stocks is already pretty high - therefore there's potential for a significant correction far beyond moving averages.

Good points, and I have long felt that financial news media dream up explanations for market moves. However the coronavirus has the potential to inflict significant hits to company earnings due to reduced movement / trade, and this in a market where the forward looking P/E of stocks is already pretty high - therefore there's potential for a significant correction far beyond moving averages.

It has the potential to affect employment and that's what really scares central banks. This ponzi only stays afloat if people can earn to pay for their debts.

What I find interesting is alot of QE money has ended up in disruptive tech stocks that aren't making a profit and only will once they 'disrupt' the traditional workforce.
It's one reason we aren't seeing the wages growth that traditionally happens when interest rates are low and monetary policy is 'generous'...the money used to go into manufacturing and other industries that actually employed people (well) but that ship sailed for many western countries decades ago.
Central Banks around the world seem confused by why this is happening - lads, the reason is right in front of you...
Nothing wrong with all that but anyone investing in stocks and thinking they are saving the people of the world are largely deluded IMO. We're in it for the Greed and just admit it.
So we are going into unchartered waters...a new era of super high debt and crap wages growth. It's why I 'sold out' of Shares and other things as it's a volatile cocktail.

You could have said all this at anytime in the last 5 years and missed the biggest bull run. I sold some shares 2 1/2 years ago and they are double now...
You may have invested in something else doing well but most people don't have that opportunity.
At some Armageddon stage you may well be right though if global capitalism fails due to global warming, severe pandemic, mass immigration into Europe, upheaval in China, civil war in USA, World War 3, whatever, and no recovery but then what ?
We can't all go to New Zealand and be farmers with a windmill on our land.

Maintaining a high standard of service actually is a lot of work, believe me.
But buying and selling for personal - or for a company’s - profit is not. It is playing. And stress is not work.

So if you made a nice tidy sum from buying and selling your place of residence then you would give it all away to poor people. I admire your benevolence.

You could have said all this at anytime in the last 5 years and missed the biggest bull run. I sold some shares 2 1/2 years ago and they are double now...
You may have invested in something else doing well but most people don't have that opportunity.
At some Armageddon stage you may well be right though if global capitalism fails due to global warming, severe pandemic, mass immigration into Europe, upheaval in China, civil war in USA, World War 3, whatever, and no recovery but then what ?
We can't all go to New Zealand and be farmers with a windmill on our land.

You become one of The Preppers and take things into your own hands as don't rely on government to sort this out...

I was in Canary Wharf yesterday. Chevron, just sent entire team of 300 home and closed Ops, since one member was exhibiting CV symptoms.

https://www.ft.com/content/01dc2a16-582a-11ea-a528-dd0f971febbc

I work for a Chinese company and some factories have been closed for a week, regional buffer stocks are diminishing rapidly and this is across tech and manufacturing OEM component sector.

This will have certainly effect on the stock markets.

Just sayin'

So if you made a nice tidy sum from buying and selling your place of residence then you would give it all away to poor people. I admire your benevolence.

I’d never do that, I wouldn’t. But when you inherit a family house or a flat for instance, you either sell it or keep it. If you decide to keep it, you have to take care of many things when you rent it out. Not sure there is any profit to be made there.
What I find immoral is buying cheap and selling straight away with a large profit.

I’d never do that, I wouldn’t. But when you inherit a family house or a flat for instance, you either sell it or keep it. If you decide to keep it, you have to take care of many things when you rent it out. Not sure there is any profit to be made there.
What I find immoral is buying cheap and selling straight away with a large profit.

Isn't that at the very nature and heart of any trading as a concept? - be it with growth farmed or hunted produce on one farmers market, or bits of financial paper on another market. Not sure that private houses should be treated any differently. Risk, reward and timing.

Isn't that at the very nature and heart of any trading as a concept? - be it with growth farmed or hunted produce on one farmers market, or bits of financial paper on another market. Not sure that private houses should be treated any differently. Risk, reward and timing.
I wonder if he is thinking about 'trading'.

Cheers,

DV

I wonder if he is thinking about 'trading'.

Cheers,

DV

True. In one breath he is talking about inheriting a house. In the very next he clearly states buying (as opposed to inheriting) and then selling quickly for profit.

The latter more than hints at 'trading' IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back