advertisement

Sports car chat

Seeing as people are posting pictures of their Porsches, here’s my old 996 Carrera 2. This pic was taken 16 years ago. Where does the time go?

IMG-0221.jpg

Watching mid 60s MGB's keeping pace with 911s around the Silverstone national circuit I often wonder if they'd perhaps charged a little more for each car, y'know so they made a little money and improved it year by year where we would be now.
The story of the entire British car/bike industry...short-term thinking by management, workers and government.
I'm sure Japanese executives couldn't believe it.

I'm not surprised that they don't carry gearbox spares in the UK, the number of boxes that fail and the expert technicians to strip and rebuild them just be too small to justify it. It's classic exchange territory.

oh they do for repairs and rebuilds. But since my car was only a few weeks old, they decided to replace the whole thing

Watching mid 60s MGB's keeping pace with 911s around the Silverstone national circuit I often wonder if they'd perhaps charged a little more for each car, y'know so they made a little money and improved it year by year where we would be now.
Classic cars racing today just can’t be properly compared to the originals. So much has been learned with regards to engine performance, transmissions, springs and dampers, brake discs and pads, tyres, suspension bushes, that the cars are much faster around a lap than they were in the 60s. Just look at the ‘new’ BRM V16… doesn’t even misfire, and it uses the same type of ignition system!

The sad story of the British motor industry; great at design, poor at building.

Amazing that we, in effect, gave away legacy products like the mini & MGB.

I would imagine a reworking of the Morris Minor, especially the traveler, would find an audience.

Same thing has happened with bike industry.

@AnilS - Might be as simple as just brake system fluid replacement; it never ages well (and iirc BWM recommend this as a flush at 2yr intervals, and discount it is as a service, as result)

ETA - 23.02.24

- when done, plugged-into the machine that goes 'ping!' - this cycles every valve involved, iirc: will flag real issues. Could well be your 'warnings' are phantom. For example - in standing a long while - maybe a bit of humidity/ condensation/ in the ABS-block wiring connector & sim, is causing issues.

Once the engine bay gets properly warmed-through, such as your 15mile perambluation - yes, do expect such little things to simply, go-away. Hopefully - just like condensation inside the light clusters; all those really little annoyances that simply accumulate with time out of use.

ATB, Anil!
Thanks again @martin clark . Seems to have been a loose plug. Lets see.

So another shakedown as the weather was nice yesterday.

So Z4, in sport mode was epic. Sound resonator foam removed (there are 3 bungs and 2 removed) so real engine sound, pipes through into the glovebox. Amazing, Car had half a tank of premium fuel but on the "B" roads, felt edgy. Maybe since my illness, I've lost a bit of confidence.

cC3bCPJ.jpg

Then into the GR Yaris. Off the line, it feels no quicker than the Z4. However, the way it changes direction is makes my old Nissan GTR feel flabby (well it was heavy). Set into "track mode" with rev matching on the engine, and its a little beast. One thing I still find, even when warmed up, is the gearbox still feels notchy (2k miles on the clock may explain the issue). My Ford Puma still has the best manual gearchange I have ever experienced. End of. It also "feels" quite wide to thread down the road but nowhere near as wide as the GTR.

ANTHEBU.jpg

Then I tried our son's new car. Porsche Cayman 718 S (350bhp/PDK). OMG!!! Searing pace once warmed up and easily GTR fast on normal roads BUT the biggest thing about the car, is its handling balance. It's simply stunning and because of its size, much nicer to thread down a "B" road. Never twitchy. Always composed. The flat 4 2.5 litre (turbo) engine sounds very "throbby". Lovely package and probably the best pound for pound sports car, I have ever driven.

VKWc2hS.jpg

However, this has thrown up an issue, with me that I was hoping not to happen. Since my haemmorage, I'm finding driving, albeit on the slighty hardcore side, fatiguing and after a day, experiencing headpain. Maybe I overdid it, but hey ho.

All in all interesting. I'll stick to my Arteon (obviously no sports car but still 280ps and 4WD) as a daily driver, but the Cayman is just dumbfoundingly awesome.

So Z4, in sport mode was epic. Sound resonator foam removed (there are 3 bungs and 2 removed) so real engine sound, pipes through into the glovebox. Amazing, Car had half a tank of premium fuel but on the "B" roads, felt edgy. Maybe since my illness, I've lost a bit of confidence.

cC3bCPJ.jpg

Then into the GR Yaris. Off the line, it feels no quicker than the Z4. However, the way it changes direction is makes my old Nissan GTR feel flabby (well it was heavy). Set into "track mode" with rev matching on the engine, and its a little beast. One thing I still find, even when warmed up, is the gearbox still feels notchy (2k miles on the clock may explain the issue). My Ford Puma still has the best manual gearchange I have ever experienced. End of. It also "feels" quite wide to thread down the road but nowhere near as wide as the GTR.

ANTHEBU.jpg

Then I tried our son's new car. Porsche Cayman 718 S (350bhp/PDK). OMG!!! Searing pace once warmed up and easily GTR fast on normal roads BUT the biggest thing about the car, is its handling balance. It's simply stunning and because of its size, much nicer to thread down a "B" road. Never twitchy. Always composed. The flat 4 2.5 litre (turbo) engine sounds very "throbby". Lovely package and probably the best pound for pound sports car, I have ever driven.

VKWc2hS.jpg

However, this has thrown up an issue, with me that I was hoping not to happen. Since my haemmorage, I'm finding driving, albeit on the slighty hardcore side, fatiguing and after a day, experiencing headpain. Maybe I overdid it, but hey ho.

All in all interesting. I'll stick to my Arteon (obviously no sports car but still 280ps and 4WD) as a daily driver, but the Cayman is just dumbfoundingly awesome.
Must’ve been fun!

I find I need a bottle of water in a car as the a.c is always on, dehydrating me.

Must’ve been fun!

I find I need a bottle of water in a car as the a.c is always on, dehydrating me.
Thanks Tony. You're right. I didn't carry one. Next time I will. Appreciate the reminder.
I've also become more "photo sensitive" and I forgot my better sunglasses (switching from car to car) and hence over straining. Sunlight caused me a lot of issues before my illness and a lot worse now.

cC3bCPJ.jpg

ANTHEBU.jpg

VKWc2hS.jpg

It might not be the same as it was Anil but it’s good to hear you’re back behind the wheel.

Cheers BB

The sad story of the British motor industry; great at design, poor at building.

Amazing that we, in effect, gave away legacy products like the mini & MGB.

I would imagine a reworking of the Morris Minor, especially the traveler, would find an audience.

Same thing has happened with bike industry.
Not forgetting back in the 1960s/70s these industries were crippled by the unions.

cC3bCPJ.jpg

I must say, those Z4 coupés are indeed rather stylish. There is a black one lives near me, which makes me do a double-take every time I see it.

Interesting to hear your comments on the Cayman too. I had a drive in a friend's GT4 a few years back - only on the roads, so very civilised/ well behaved - but really liked it. Sounds like the S version is a bit special as well.

I'm not surprised that they don't carry gearbox spares in the UK, the number of boxes that fail and the expert technicians to strip and rebuild them just be too small to justify it. It's classic exchange territory.

No excuse for six weeks, if i order JD parts from Germany before 16-00 they will be at the dealer by 08-00 the next morning. I hear that DHL plane approaching Stansted about 03-00 many mornings. USA three days. They should maintain one or two on a shelf somewhere.

No excuse for six weeks, if i order JD parts from Germany before 16-00 they will be at the dealer by 08-00 the next morning. I hear that DHL plane approaching Stansted about 03-00 many mornings. USA three days. They should maintain one or two on a shelf somewhere.
They should retain an exchange box or two, Porsche buyers can stand courier costs. Then it's overnight for the recon box, a couple of hours fitting and the old one goes back for rebuilding. The owner doesn't wait for parts, the repair is simple and guaranteed, the owner pays a non rebuildable deposit on the old one in case of damaged cases etc. But 90% of the time it's just internal bits, generic bearings etc, the actual gears are fine, £100 of parts, minor machining, gasket set, oil, job done.

Coming down the track in the next 10 years a large number of ICE cars are going out of production as the switch to electric continues. This realisation will concentrate sales to the largest volume manufacturers as more and more people become wary of buying cars that will soon have spares shortages. Will make a 6 week delay seem like the good old days.
Will Mazda survive ? Mitsubishi ? Subaru ? Suzuki ? Aston ?
edit after a quick peak at the PFM Environment thread maybe this really doesn't matter...

advertisement

Back