advertisement

Sports car chat

Gorgeous, I think the B is a thing of beauty at least until 1970 and after. Such fun to drive though, arguably, the Midget is even more entertaining.

My car uses Castrol Edge 0W30 motor oil. There's even a "Castrol" logo molded into the oil filler cap.

For my last oil change, there was no Castrol 0W30 synthetic to be found in my area, there wasn't even an empty slot for it on the shelves at the stores, but there was Castrol 0W20 and 5W30. I ended up using Mobil 1 0W30. What would you have chosen from those options? And for my next oil change, which isn't due for quite some time, would you stick with the Mobil 1?

I added this to the garage earlier in the year. Very low mileage and its just like it came out of the McLaren Technology Centre...

L1000365-e1716561463406.jpeg

My car uses Castrol Edge 0W30 motor oil. There's even a "Castrol" logo molded into the oil filler cap.

For my last oil change, there was no Castrol 0W30 synthetic to be found in my area, there wasn't even an empty slot for it on the shelves at the stores, but there was Castrol 0W20 and 5W30. I ended up using Mobil 1 0W30. What would you have chosen from those options? And for my next oil change, which isn't due for quite some time, would you stick with the Mobil 1?

Have you read the manual?

I always put in the thickest oil allowed in my temperature range so at the moment a 5W-50 with Porsche A50 certification.

I added this to the garage earlier in the year. Very low mileage and its just like it came out of the McLaren Technology Centre...

L1000365-e1716561463406.jpeg
Hope you have a warranty and service package on that ? I've heard of some extremely expensive bills on McLarens.
Are you going to track it ?

Hope you have a warranty and service package on that ? I've heard of some extremely expensive bills on McLarens.
Are you going to track it ?
Definitely not going to track it. I am past that sort of thing nowadays having done plenty in the past. These 12C's are starting to go up in value so I will just enjoy it for those days when the weather lends itself to using it, although many I know use them as a daily drive. I had a McLaren Company (all ex McLaren employees who built these cars) go over it with a fine tooth comb just after I bought it, knowing it was a good one. They confirmed all was good and it was like it had just come off the production line. There is something very special about the way this car drives which is hard to put into words...

The viscosity is only part of the story, modern oils have lots of specific lubricants and an exact spec. Brands are meaningless. The manual will tell you that it needs to meet VW 505.1 or bmw whatever, you then need to read the small print on the oil can. You will become expert in the difference between 503.1, 505 and 505.1b etc. The days of buying Castrol GTX in one of 2 viscosities and all the same API grade are done.

Seeing as the McLaren door has been cracked, I bought this about 6 weeks ago from Thorney Motorsport with warranty. Regularly driven which is important with McLarens and accumulators recently changed.

53651050687_90c6ba4d1e_c.jpg
Kawasaki yellow green, RAL 6018. I had a bike frame coated in it, it's a great colour.

we live walking distance from a McLaren dealer - regularly see them broken down in the vicinity. We had a student with one - which caught fire in our carpark

Do you think they drove there to break down?

I have no idea - they always in the vicinity. I know of 2 recently broke down on a test drive.

My fav Porsche salesman head hunted by Aston Martin next door, tells me he sees them more broken than his Astons.......who knows, my fast car days are over

I have no idea - they always in the vicinity. I know of 2 recently broke down on a test drive.

My fav Porsche salesman head hunted by Aston Martin next door, tells me he sees them more broken than his Astons.......who knows, my fast car days are over
I think you will find a Macan Turbo will give most sports cars a run for their money.
Astons now have Merc engines so that must help.

Oh they have had their challenges for sure, the Artura launch has been a disaster and the early 570's had lots of issues, door hinges and paintwork issues amongst other stuff.

The dealers have a terrible reputation as well. I have been researching this in detail since Jan this year and you do need to buy carefully, time will tell but I have hedged my bets as much as I can.

Like most things bad news travels 10 times further than good news, the owners I have met so far say the reputation is exaggerated. Many of them are serial supercar owners and have similar stories with AM, Ferrari, Lambo and even Porsche.

Reactions: GT
Like most things bad news travels 10 times further than good news, the owners I have met so far say the reputation is exaggerated. Many of them are serial supercar owners and have similar stories with AM, Ferrari, Lambo and even Porsche.
indeed it does, but I drive round there twice a day, and it's what I observe, I wish you the best.

Yes indeed Porsche's break - I had a PDK box lunch itself 3 weeks from new - much to the disbelief of the dealership

advertisement

Back