advertisement

Speed limiters, driver monitors to become mandatory in EU

And yet they can’t even get voice recognition to work. ;)

I really can’t imagine what a miserable experience some cars are going to be. But hey, insurance should be a few tenners per year! Yeah, right.

I have a friend who works for a large insurer in the states. He thinks insurance will go up because a lot of the passive safety sensors are in the crumple zones (often front bumper or just behind the grille), so a 10mph bumper bash can cost thousands to put right.
I think another issue will be is it an MOT failure if one of these sensors / systems stops working ?

However when my teen daughter starts driving and needs a car on a regular basis I intend to get her a car with forward collision detection / auto-braking.

I have a friend who works for a large insurer in the states. He thinks insurance will go up because a lot of the passive safety sensors are in the crumple zones (often front bumper or just behind the grille), so a 10mph bumper bash can cost thousands to put right.
I think another issue will be is it an MOT failure if one of these sensors / systems stops working ?

However when my teen daughter starts driving and needs a car on a regular basis I intend to get her a car with forward collision detection / auto-braking.

How on Earth will they have any accidents, let alone at 10mph?

(slightly tongue in cheek)

I like my diseasel but only because I spend a lot of time on the motorway and otherwise I'm in town. Diesel is great there. Where it is awful is on a winding A road. You get it into top on a straight bit, great, then you slow down for a corner and when you exit you either have to change down or listen to the thing labouring like an old tractor. I really don't want to have to row a family car down the road with the gearstick, it's a chore. In a sports car or a bike, fine, but not a standard saloon. I suspect diesels suit autos for this reason, get the engine at the right speed and just shift gears.

Bit of left foot braking on the way in Steve, keep the throttle pinned to hold the boost, wide entry / kiss the apex and carry the momentum .. :)

I very much doubt I will ever be convinced to drive a car that is capable of randomly applying its braking system.

Binned for 9000rpm redline. Being a responsible citizen I only need first, occasionally second on motorways.

I'm guessing this will apply to motorbikes too and what about pre 2022 cars - will they have to retro fitted with these limiters?

This can be plugged into any car with an OBD2 or EOBD port, meaning almost anything made in this century. Some insurance companies already have monitors you can plug in the port to spy on your driving habits.

Won't this damage the car industry? Why would you buy a new Porsche, M3, Lamborghini, Merc AMG etc after this is introduced?

Pushing hard on the accelerator makes the whole thing a white elephant too. Yet that would surely change over the following years to not being able to push through?

Motorcycle industry could be even worse off if we ended up with real restriction. At the moment, it's just an advisory signal.

advertisement

Back