advertisement

Speed limiters, driver monitors to become mandatory in EU

I think one of the obvious problems with this approach is that traffic will coagulate in large groups in the way it does on sections of road with average speed cameras and I find that more taxing than traffic moving at different speeds.

It doesn't bother me, either, I'm planning to have a boring, sensible (probably electric) car for commuting and something old and interesting for the occasional fun drive.

I think it’s great but...

Apparently pushing down on the accelerator will over ride the limiter to allow overtaking according to reports.

How will the car know when you finish accelerating and aren’t just trying to impress your girl friend in your new Hot hatch?

Just this morning I needed to post a letter in our village. I parked at the side of the road just past a slight bend, 30mph limit. As I was getting back in the car I could hear something approaching far too fast, and yep, Volvo C30 doing at least 50. He had to swerve suddenly to get round my car and narrowly avoided the car ahead that was emerging from a driveway on the right.
I’d love to remove his ‘freedom’ to speed in 30 and 40 zones. Twat.

some people don't remember the concept of 'freedom from government control' and are apparently happy to become less and less responsinle as drivers and I assume as a person in general. This track leads to the oppression of free will in my opinion.
I'd rather act badly when I feel the need, and if I harm no-one then that's my risk. If I DO harm, then lock me up or whatever is right. My risk and my accepted punishment.

As long as it's done in a way that doesn't impede safe overtaking then I'd be fairly relaxed about this although I'd prefer if it only applied in urban areas. It'd also need to have an option to disable the limiter for track days etc.

If I DO harm, then lock me up or whatever is right. My risk and my accepted punishment

that is fine on the one hand, but it takes no account of the impact any harm you might instigate has on others (including death). To me that is a selfish attitude with a total lack of empathy.

As for the legislation - I am all for additional driver aids to support me. I love my speed limiter that helps me on smart motorways........

Having done a speed awareness course and changed how I drive, for the better, I'd have zero problem with this.

I'd rather act badly when I feel the need, and if I harm no-one then that's my risk. If I DO harm, then lock me up or whatever is right. My risk and my accepted punishment.
I’m afraid the victims won’t have the luxury of choice when they’re six feet under* or discussing their move to disabled accommodation when they get home after three months in hospital*.
Last year I passed a lorry doing 55mph in a motorway exit lane, I was in lane 1 at 70mph closing on him. A car appeared in my mirror in the exit lane at an estimated 120mph, closing very fast. I thought “oh god, he’s not going to do it is he?”. The gap between me and the offside rear corner of the lorry was two car lengths- the guy passed through it at that speed. He didn’t even cross into lane 2 round me and the lorry. I’m not interested in dealing with the consequences of his choices- I want him to be prevented from making choices like that one. If he’d clipped my rear or front near side quarter at that speed he’d quite possibly have killed me and my passenger.

*people I actually knew.

I reckon this is brilliant. I am fed up with being the little Skoda Fabia keeping to the speed limit with a huge SUV so close behind that I cannot even see his number plate in the mirror. I have had a driving licence for 42 years now, and have not yet had a speeding ticket or prosecution. I am happy to keep it that way.

I would like to add that the speed limit is not the advisory minimum for driving!

If the red herring about having to break the speed limit, and, therefore, the law as a safety margin to pass another vehicle had any truth to it, then obviously HGVs would not already be speed governed.

If it is not safe to overtake another vehicle without speeding, then it is clearly not safe to overtake ...

I think it’s great but...

Apparently pushing down on the accelerator will over ride the limiter to allow overtaking according to reports.

How will the car know when you finish accelerating and aren’t just trying to impress your girl friend in your new Hot hatch?
It will time out. Notifying the driver first of course, in plenty of time.

I think one of the obvious problems with this approach is that traffic will coagulate in large groups in the way it does on sections of road with average speed cameras and I find that more taxing than traffic moving at different speeds.

This a million times.

I'm guessing this will apply to motorbikes too and what about pre 2022 cars - will they have to retro fitted with these limiters?

I am cool with speed limiters. Many cars already have them. I use mine (VW) along with automatic cruise and distance control, to keep within limits in urban areas, roadworks etc. They avoid that 'speed creep' phenomenon. I find It's quite relaxing and you make same progress.

A manual override should be in place for safety in certain situations.

I do like to let rip with the ponies sometimes, but away from both people, houses and other cars.

advertisement

Back