advertisement

Speed limiters, driver monitors to become mandatory in EU

I don't have a problem with auto-limit in pedestrian areas.

I just wish that speed limits were more sensible. 130 on an empty autoroute? Why?

Have you seen the figures for how much extra pollution a car produces when travelling at, say, 80mph instead of 70? It’s indefensible.

The same applies to 70/60/50. Where do you stop?
Well, the US stopped at 55 for thirty-odd years?
And seeing as some on here state that absolutely nowhere in the UK’s road network allows us to travel at over 50 anyway, it might not make much difference. Again, slightly tongue in cheek.

The same applies to 70/60/50. Where do you stop?

I know this sounds a bit Green/utopian but we need to seriously reprioritise our infrastructre to favour other forms of transport.
It is incredible how much time, space and money is dedicated to cars and roads. This obsession fuels the problems in our society: obesity, polution, entitlement culture, lack of community spirit etc.
I love an internal combustion engine as much as the next bloke. But let's try to rely on them a bit less!

I know this sounds a bit Green/utopian but we need to seriously reprioritise our infrastructre to favour other forms of transport.
It is incredible how much time, space and money is dedicated to cars and roads. This obsession fuels the problems in our society: obesity, polution, entitlement culture, lack of community spirit etc.
I love an internal combustion engine as much as the next bloke. But let's try to rely on them a bit less!
Quite. More carrot, less stick.

Bit of left foot braking on the way in Steve, keep the throttle pinned to hold the boost, wide entry / kiss the apex and carry the momentum .. :)
Well, yes, I'm sure this would work, if applied with more skill than I possess! To be fair the thing goes pretty well when in "pressing on" mode, there's no coughing and spluttering when you just bury the pedal in the carpet at the exit and point it where you want to go, but it's a tonne and a half of Jaguar so pressing on though bendy roads isn't what it's best at. It's best at wafting, which is a very pleasant way of travelling on traffic-clogged A roads. However the waft zone is very narrow, 2000-3000 rpm or so, above that you are hardly wafting and below 1500 rpm it goes into Massey-Ferguson mode. Not what you want in a luxury car. A S2 Land Rover, great, it's part of the charm as you double-declutch in your wellies, but not a luxury car.

Certainly. I use a bike around town a fair bit. I'd also be happy to use a small electric vehicle for local commuting and shopping, but the current tax/insurance costs make it prohibitive. Maybe this is the future for city centres in the future. People have grown too used to private individual transport to start car sharing or (horrors!) public transport.

don't people want to get places faster? Wasn't that why 'we' are happily spending billions on some new train to manchester?? It saves half an hour?

Put motorway limits UP to 85 and then apply a speed restrictor makes some sense. OH and let trucks do 60 on A roads.

From the Autocar article:

'Distraction monitors will use cameras that can detect when a driver is impaired, tired or not paying attention, and then prompt them to react. Volvo recently announced that it would fit such systems on its vehicles as standard.'

In Sweden (you know the country that put road safety squarley on the agenda) phoneing 'hands on' with your mobile was made unlegal only last year!!! According to swedish mag 'Motor' this was because Volvo (you know the company that put road safety squarley on the agenda) lobbyed against such a law!!!! Their reasoning was, apparently, that such a law would limit technological development.

I have no problem with everybody else having tech systems that keep them from doing stupid things as long as my old cars doesn't need to have it. Current Porsche is 14 years old, 2022 plus 14 is 2036, then I'm 78, if I'm still alive...

don't people want to get places faster? Wasn't that why 'we' are happily spending billions on some new train to manchester?? It saves half an hour?

I think people would sacrifice a bit faster for time keeping and comfort.
People like to know they have a seat and will arrive on time. If they can get a decent beverage, use the internet and access a cleanish bog even better!

People like to know they have a seat and will arrive on time. If they can get a decent beverage, use the internet and access a cleanish bog even better!
Indeed. So let's do a check list on if you can be sure of those, under any situation when using the train:

1. have a seat - nope
2. arrive on time - nope
3. decent beverage - nope
4. use the internet - nope
5. cleanish bog - nope

Still some work to do there....

I don't have a problem with auto-limit in pedestrian areas.

I just wish that speed limits were more sensible. 130 on an empty autoroute? Why?
I presume that you mean km/h
I have 110 km/h max on rural motorways, which can be frustrating in good weather and light traffic.
HGVs are supposed to be restricted to 90, but do 110 because that is what speed cameras are set for.

Indeed. So let's do a check list on if you can be sure of those, under any situation when using the train:

1. have a seat - nope
2. arrive on time - nope
3. decent beverage - nope
4. use the internet - nope
5. cleanish bog - nope

Still some work to do there....

Last week to and from York (one with LNER and another with Grand Central)

On both trains
1. have a seat - yes
2. arrive on time - close enough
3. decent beverage - yes (nice beer)
4. use the internet - nope (yes really good internet)
5. cleanish bog - nope (yes)

Last week to and from York (one with LNER and another with Grand Central)

On both trains
1. have a seat - yes
2. arrive on time - close enough
3. decent beverage - yes (nice beer)
4. use the internet - nope (yes really good internet)
5. cleanish bog - nope (yes)
Its a matter of perception and what you are used to. All of the above are enough of a concern to me, from past experiences.

...but being British makes train travel very stressful. Consideration needs to be given -

Being sure to start touching your bag 15 minutes before your station, so the person in the aisle seat is fully prepared for your exit.

Repeatedly pressing the door button on the train before it’s illuminated, to assure your fellow commuters you have the situation in hand.

Having someone sit next to you on the train, meaning you’ll have to eat your crisps at home.

The huge sense of relief after your perfectly valid train ticket is accepted by the inspector.

The horror of someone you only half know saying: “Oh I’m getting that train too”

“Sorry, is anyone sitting here?” – Translation: Unless this is a person who looks remarkably like a bag, I suggest you move it.

...but being British makes train travel very stressful. Consideration needs to be given -

Being sure to start touching your bag 15 minutes before your station, so the person in the aisle seat is fully prepared for your exit.

Repeatedly pressing the door button on the train before it’s illuminated, to assure your fellow commuters you have the situation in hand.

Having someone sit next to you on the train, meaning you’ll have to eat your crisps at home.

The huge sense of relief after your perfectly valid train ticket is accepted by the inspector.

The horror of someone you only half know saying: “Oh I’m getting that train too”

“Sorry, is anyone sitting here?” – Translation: Unless this is a person who looks remarkably like a bag, I suggest you move it.
Don't do the luggage sprawl thing in order to bagsy 2 seats if GT's missus is there. She'll have none of that.

advertisement

Back