advertisement

Speed limiters, driver monitors to become mandatory in EU

More than you'll guess at. Until two years ago I had a 911 with 345bhp. Had a few quickish cars over the years, but began to realise that, apart from the cost of running a fast car, I was taking one or two too many chances. I have great memories of it all, but it has almost no place in the modern world. And WTF are middle eastern multimillionaires doing in London with their exotica if not just rubbing people's noses in it?

Rubbing people's noses in it.

My token rant: Can we teach people to drive on the left? Specifically when negotiating a right-hand bend, stay on the left, not veer across the centre to the side that I had hoped to occupy whilst travelling in the opposite direction... is this too much to ask?

Yes, and there is an increasing number of people who treat mini roundabouts as crossroads and don’t slow at all. Also when turning right they cut across and effectively go the wrong way round the big spot in the road. You know who you are!

If drivers had improved in any measurable way since 1958 (?) your argument might hold some water. One constant moan on every forum I use is that driving standards have deteriorated. Whether or not that’s the case isn’t important. Perception is. Combined with far busier roads, there’s no chance of anything other than a blanket speed limit.
Raising the limit is the last thing I'd like to see. Instead, why not courses on staying at least 2 seconds behind the car in front, keeping left unless overtaking... I could go on.

^A friend of mine who was a retired Navy flyer maintained driving a road vehicle safely was a piece of cake - just like in an aircraft, all you have to do is maintain appropriate separation from other vehicles, but with 'less worry on the verticals' :)
I did take the concept of maintaining a safe cocoon of space around the vehicle to heart mind you, and have used it ever since.

Raising the limit is the last thing I'd like to see. Instead, why not courses on staying at least 2 seconds behind the car in front, keeping left unless overtaking... I could go on.

People are trained in these topics, while learning for the test. However, just as advanced scuba divers drown and skilled pilots crash, humans will always make mistakes: guaranteed. We just try to reduce the end results and frequency.

People are trained in these topics, while learning for the test. However, just as advanced scuba divers drown and skilled pilots crash, humans will always make mistakes: guaranteed. We just try to reduce the end results and frequency.

The two points I mentioned aren't mistakes though, they're ingrained habits with some drivers. Same as the non use of indicators. It's just lazy driving and bad habits.

Aye. But it seems to be the way now: “Why should I! I don’t care. F**k everyone else. And I’ll stab you if you disagree.”

advertisement

Back