advertisement

Spaghetti

Yes, I'm staggered by the amount of spaghetti some people here eat.

Mrs MikeMA and I have about 120g between us. Mind you, we usually have a large green salad or a spinach or romanesque cauliflower dish on the side.
As ever it depends on what else you have to eat. The Italians reckon 100g per person, but that's as part of a meal. My mountaineer sized portion of pasta is bigger. In fact I just weighed it, about 180-200g. Then again, that's all I have to eat, with some sauce. 200g pasta is a lot, you can reckon 750- 800 calories for that alone.

Yes, I'm staggered by the amount of spaghetti some people here eat.

Mrs MikeMA and I have about 120g between us. Mind you, we usually have a large green salad or a spinach or romanesque cauliflower dish on the side.

I agree.
And the sauce makes a difference.
Plain tomato or loaded with extra veg, prawns, tuna, etc. can pad out the pasta and make it more filling.
But 75g is a meal in itself for us.

I make a chicken head with my hand (not the white power symbol) and stick as many noodles as will fit through the hole for each person who is about to stuff him or herself on my delicious vegetarian pah'skeddy.

main-qimg-3517a1f84070df04d95eadcf76221eb7

It's close enough most of the time.

Joe

Like it

The hand in your avatar looks like a chicken foot too

I make a chicken head with my hand (not the white power symbol) and stick as many noodles as will fit through the hole for each person who is about to stuff him or herself on my delicious vegetarian pah'skeddy.

main-qimg-3517a1f84070df04d95eadcf76221eb7

It's close enough most of the time.

Joe

Just made a right mess on the kitchen floor trying that with rigatoni...

i usually allow 100g flour and at least one egg yolk per person; that's a lot so day to day would go with 75g dried.

I can't afford to eat it very often; mainly because if it's there I eat far too much.

Good to try different mixes, spinach or tomato and garlic obvs quite standard and wholemeal is gorgeous.

Spinach with good yellow yolks makes the colour amazing.

My son in law is a proper Italian pasta maker so frowns on my experimentation; he insists on 00.

Just had a look at my "spaghetti spoon", has long teeth all around, and five small slots in the bottom. Maybe not all spaghetti spoons are made equal, or maybe some have a hole that, by chance, you can use to measure out spaghetti. Here in Italy 60 g. is considered a bit nouvelle cuisine, or for people on a strict diet. Or if there is a substantial second course. I'd say 100 g. is the standard starting point.

A solution to all our problems! I've just discovered that the spaghetti that fit into the hole in a CD/DVD weigh exactly 50 g. This is filling the hole pretty tight, slipping in the last 4 or 5 one at a time. I'm sure this was taken into consideration when Sony/Phillips invented the CD.

A solution to all our problems! I've just discovered that the spaghetti that fit into the hole in a CD/DVD weigh exactly 50 g. This is filling the hole pretty tight, slipping in the last 4 or 5 one at a time. I'm sure this was taken into consideration when Sony/Phillips invented the CD.
You’ve just reminded me of an Italian joke about Greek male sexuality told to me by an academic who spent most of his adult life in Italy. I couldn’t possibly repeat it.

Presumably you have to demag the CD first?

It’s the best thing I’ve seen since a cook’s apron in New Orleans that had “Don’t make me put poison in your food” on the front.

Reactions: BJP

advertisement

Back