advertisement

Spaghetti

£1.19

stainless-steel-spaghetti-measure-1-to-4-people-harbour-housewares-spaghetti-measure-7576358339_5e6dde6b-62f0-479f-996a-c907e65e4a18_large.jpg

https://www.rinkit.com/products/har...MI6Z2KpZjM5AIVx7TtCh2dugKkEAQYBSABEgIalfD_BwE
That’s off a Rega turntable!

Wow, Brexit hasn’t happened yet and blokes are already feeling the pinch.

Joe

We always make too much. It makes excellent 'noodles' for a stir fry the next day. Store in container in fridge till next day. (works better if one cooks spaghetti with some olive oil in the water, not much)

Note: like cooked rice, cooked spaghetti works best the next day if intending to stir fry.

a common mistake folks make with making their own fried rice is to boil the rice, then try and fry it after an hour when cooled - this doesn't work, and the rice will bind together. (I don't know the physics, but guessing something to do with starch?)

This must be one of the most intractable First World problems I've ever encountered, and I speak as a devoted pasta fan. How will it all end?

FWIW this issue came up in a recent conversation and the advice given by a very knowledgable cook. She uses the thumb and forefinger method, to which of course us smug males said "Ah but we all have different finger and thumb sizes" quick as a flash she said "get a pound coin and make your finger and thumb fit around it". Simples.

We always make too much. It makes excellent 'noodles' for a stir fry the next day. Store in container in fridge till next day. (works better if one cooks spaghetti with some olive oil in the water, not much)

Note: like cooked rice, cooked spaghetti works best the next day if intending to stir fry.

a common mistake folks make with making their own fried rice is to boil the rice, then try and fry it after an hour when cooled - this doesn't work, and the rice will bind together. (I don't know the physics, but guessing something to do with starch?)
I've just finished some work at a food manufacturer where we made cook chill pasta and noodles and rice that we later added to salads. You can add the oil to cooled pasta, it still works and you don't waste it. For the rice, cook it just less than you want, then cool it in cold running water. Rinse the starch off until it runs clear, then it won't stick.

Dry pasta is normally sold in 500g bags. If you go for 125g per person, then that's a bag to feed 4. Half a bag gives you a meal for two.

Spare cold cooked pasta is a joy - make sure it's got sauce on it, then fry it in a cast iron frying pan with a generous amount of butter, pepper and parmesan. You get all the joy of the crunchy bits from baked pasta without having to wait an hour ;)

As for dry vs fresh pasta, i'm really a dry guy myself, but really it's all to do with flour quality, but that's probably a discussion for another day.

Cesare

Spag? 75g I'm told but imagine picking up a cricket bat or similar...like Joes finger hole, a 'handful' in your fist. Thats enough for two. Put any uneaten in something tomorrow. If hungry after eating open pudding shelf.

125g of pasta per person is a lot! Certainly too much for me - and I'm a fat bastard!
I use an old, tall, plastic container (I think it was the bottom-half of a "slush" thing my daughter once bought), stick it on the scales, zero, then add 75g of spaghetti per person.

FWIW this issue came up in a recent conversation and the advice given by a very knowledgable cook. She uses the thumb and forefinger method, to which of course us smug males said "Ah but we all have different finger and thumb sizes" quick as a flash she said "get a pound coin and make your finger and thumb fit around it". Simples.
I would have replied "yes, and we all have different sized bellies too".

125g of pasta per person is a lot! Certainly too much for me - and I'm a fat bastard!
I use an old, tall, plastic container (I think it was the bottom-half of a "slush" thing my daughter once bought), stick it on the scales, zero, then add 75g of spaghetti per person.
Yes, I'm staggered by the amount of spaghetti some people here eat.

Mrs MikeMA and I have about 120g between us. Mind you, we usually have a large green salad or a spinach or romanesque cauliflower dish on the side.

Leftover spaghetti can be fried next day by itself, or mixed with an egg. (Say one egg for 2 portions) Crisp bits where it is in contact with the pan. I'm hungry.....

advertisement

Back