advertisement

Spaghetti

Just had a look at my "spaghetti spoon", has long teeth all around, and five small slots in the bottom. Maybe not all spaghetti spoons are made equal, or maybe some have a hole that, by chance, you can use to measure out spaghetti. Here in Italy 60 g. is considered a bit nouvelle cuisine, or for people on a strict diet. Or if there is a substantial second course. I'd say 100 g. is the standard starting point.

Mine is one of these

https://www.chefandbaker.co.uk/uten...wr5FgmOJ74yRd0vpIaCDig-HMfGe0eM8aAvIAEALw_wcB

Yeah, 125g per person is a large portion, but i've got an 18 year old in the household who can eat his own weight in pasta every 2 hours.

As I said, cook more than you want, and eat the rest the next day. Our chickens love spaghetti - in the wild they can't get it and have to make do with worms. That's my thinking anyway.

And to serve it in

Spaghetti-Monster_1__05379.1507739208.png

"Accept this Noodly Magnificence into your heart, into your soul, and ye shall forever be free..."

[edit]
https://www.nuku.co.uk/spaghetti-monster-colander/

I want that colander!

< in my head I'm hearing 'Touched by his Noodley Appendage' seamlessly interposed in Faithless' 'Hem of his garment' />

I can understand that the impoverished of the world would have, as their staple diet, a flour and water based product such as pasta. What I cannot understand is why anyone who does not have to eat it chooses to. Same goes for rice.

Hi Cav.

How many meat products (apart from fish) go into making a decent real ale? ;)
Live and let live.

Dave.

:)
I make a chicken head with my hand (not the white power symbol) and stick as many noodles as will fit through the hole for each person who is about to stuff him or herself on my delicious vegetarian pah'skeddy.

main-qimg-3517a1f84070df04d95eadcf76221eb7

It's close enough most of the time.

Joe

Joe, I would have never expected your hand to be so...well, girly!:)

I can understand that the impoverished of the world would have, as their staple diet, a flour and water based product such as pasta. What I cannot understand is why anyone who does not have to eat it chooses to. Same goes for rice.

Totally agree, tasteless and tedious, having 50 different shapes doesn't make it food.
(Rice is OK though).

i've never heard anyone making a class-based argument against the enjoyment of noodles or rice. it's like something out of a dickens novel. i am, however, well aware of the status of the chinese as culinary superpower of the world and that they use a lot of this stuff.

i've never heard anyone making a class-based argument against the enjoyment of noodles or rice. it's like something out of a dickens novel. i am, however, well aware of the status of the chinese as culinary superpower of the world and that they use a lot of this stuff.

I don’t see the impoverished as a different class, just more unfortunate than myself really.

i am, however, well aware of the status of the chinese as culinary superpower of the world and that they use a lot of this stuff.

Their spread across the culinary world is in part due their secret weapon - MSG

Oh, and the willingness to keep food outlets open after the bars shut and to then tolerate drunken punters who think its funny to swap 'l's and 'r's around when ordering.

I don’t see the impoverished as a different class, just more unfortunate than myself really.

wow, that's quite a stretch and tangent. have you really never heard the term "class" used to describe economic tiers in society? i wasn't making any assumptions or inferences about causality.

Spaghetti’s my favourite type of pasta by far. We can’t get wholewheat spaghetti from where we normally do our weekly shop though, which is annoying!

My favourite pasta is De Cecco "spaghettini". Although "spaghettini" means "small spaghetti", the De Cecco is really almost normal size. I've tried all sorts of supposedly "superior" brands, but keep going back to De Cecco.

Reactions: BJP
I did not make any class-based argument.

I did not make any class-based argument.
Ah, you SEEMED to be talking about poverty, but in fact there were subtle undertones of Eurocentric, white supremacist, rabidly anti-poor Italians class superiority.

advertisement

Back