advertisement

Spaghetti

1b7d7df94ed95dee8e75dc0d0519edc97bbce128.jpeg

Hmm, Spaghetti and Baps.. looks a tasty combination!

I made us spaghetti-and-meatballs last night. Not really Italian but an American invention, but it was wonderful!

I didn't know that the Italians don't have spag and meatballs, it's much better than a ragu with the mince just loose.

I agree. There are Sicilian dishes, called "timballi" that include meatballs with bits of eggplant and other stuff mixed with other kinds of pasta, so maybe all the Sicilians who went to America came up with it. I remember reading somewhere that chop suey was also invented in America.

OK, now that it's not midnight and I'm not half asleep, here goes:
Cav says that he didn't mean this, and I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. The alternative meaning of what he said, and what I first read it as, can be paraphrased as "Poor people may have to live on a flour and water based product such as pasta. I can't understand why you would do so if you can afford something better and tastier".

that's perfectly fine with me. all i said is that i've never come across anyone making such a class/poverty/call-it-what-you-like argument about food. i am not morally outraged, just calling out lazy conjecture. clearly, the subjugated masses settled forn something better than the worst possible as foundation or staple food. maybe some cultures got so good at crafting it that you'd be hard-pressed to do better without absurd expense. the fact that pasta, rice and third-world cuisine are so popular in the affluent west rips apart what cav suggested and you are backing as sensible.

if you don't accept that, then you may want to get together with your new friend and enjoy a pasta salad with miniature marshmallows.

that's perfectly fine with me. all i said is that i've never come across anyone making such a class/poverty/call-it-what-you-like argument about food. .
You either don't listen, have not the mental capacity to understand, or are too arrogant to admit you got it completely wrong. I vote all 3.

Well that’s as may be but I’m pretty sure Doddy used the phrase frequently on The Good Old Days long before Eric became a household name.
Never mind they were both great entertainers and have their own statues now :)

Doddy was first shown on 'The Good Old Days' in 1955. Morecambe and Wise's first TV Series, 'Running Wild', was broadcast in 1954. So, 'before Morecambe became a household name' etc... is a bit of a moot point.

Mayhap I'm being uncharacteristically pedantic.. but they can't touch you for it. :D

Interestingly.. or not.. Dodd's first professional appearance was at Nottingham Empire in 1954, whereas Morecambe and Wise were established in theatre work from the early 1940s and on Radio before their first TV series, also in 1954.

As an aside, my late Father in Law, also a Liverpudlian, toured with Moss Empires from the 1930s as a comic and ventriloquist. He knew Dodd well from both his 'hometown' connection, and from being on the same 'circuit'.

Doddy was first shown on 'The Good Old Days' in 1955. Morecambe and Wise's first TV Series, 'Running Wild', was broadcast in 1954. So, 'before Morecambe became a household name' etc... is a bit of a moot point.

Mayhap I'm being uncharacteristically pedantic.. but they can't touch you for it. :D

Interestingly.. or not.. Dodd's first professional appearance was at Nottingham Empire in 1954, whereas Morecambe and Wise were established in theatre work from the early 1940s and on Radio before their first TV series, also in 1954.

As an aside, my late Father in Law, also a Liverpudlian, toured with Moss Empires from the 1930s as a comic and ventriloquist. He knew Dodd well from both his 'hometown' connection, and from being on the same 'circuit'.

That’s interesting, I’m sure you’re right but my personal recollection is that Doddy preceded Eric as a ‘household name’ though Eric was in the end a bigger name. Just goes to show how the ageing process might affect one’s perceptions.
Anyway Doddy was the first one to have his picture taken with the Beatles ( I think!)

advertisement

Back